Khorn Distortion Root Cause?

bailecz

It seems my Khorn experiences some distortion at certain frequencies / tone while listening to music.    Id say the problem area is in the mid range.    Very difficult to discern. 

My problem is Im not sure of its source....mid or hi horn.    (I fairly certain its not the low freq woofer.)      

Even placing my ear close to the horns leaves me uncertain.     

1) Any ideas how to find the source?   Maybe thru a strategic process of DIY elimination tricks?

2) Could a bad diaphragm cause this?

My components are:   (Hi-Crites CT125, Mid - Atlas Sound PD5VH, x- B&K Type A/4500)  (Parasound A21+ P3 Preamp)

You can unplug the drivers and listen to the source material one driver at a time to help nail down the issue, if there is one. Sometimes it's merely the source material as it can be exacerbated by the revealing nature of a klipsch speaker. It could also be a capacitor going bad and leaking.

Are you getting the distortion in both speakers? If so, be assured of a good source by trying a couple of CDs that you know to be of good quality. I would be surprised that it is a crossover if distortion is in both speakers. If it is in one speaker, try what Schu suggested but disconnect one speaker at a time to isolate the sound. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, bailecz said:

2) Could a bad diaphragm cause this?

My components are:   (Hi-Crites CT125, Mid - Atlas Sound PD5VH, x- B&K Type A/4500)  (Parasound A21+ P3 Preamp)

take an Ohmmeter -----set to OHMS  -------check the DCR of each driver from the wiring at the back of the crossover ----   readings should be very close per set of drivers , any reading that is way off  may be the sign of a bad diaphragm  , check the wiring and connectors on the amp --------with a screwdriver , check the connections of the barrier strip at the same time -if loose ---tighten

I thought the mouth was okay once mounted on a baffle. I always thought it was the narrow throat. John Warren called it “throat overload compression”. However, I never had a problem with that horn except at very high SPL, and actually preferred it at most listening levels.