EdgarHorn Titans.

Shiva

14 hours ago, veloceleste said:

My problem is I think I am young and you know the expression “Young and stupid.” I guess that makes me old and stupid, an even more dangerous combination than young and stupid; recovery times are longer!

17 hours ago, Fido said:

except I am not young and I have a bad back - I always hire young dudes to move my big stuff around!!!!!

Congrats on your new toys!!!! They look amazing

From the album "Time Loves a Hero" by Little Feat, the song; Old Folks Boogie's main lyric sez "Yo Mind makes a Promise that the Body can't Fill"

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 3:29 PM, soundbound said:

Congratulations ClaudeJ1! I hope you post a video someday so we can hear them. Enjoy.

I want to do some Audio Reviews on You Tube with some quality Microphones and Digital Recordings of the output in a "standard" Living Room vs. my reference system with reference recordings (like the ones that Roy uses). All the ones with just "talk talk talk, yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah WORDS" are too damn long and boring (like Audiophiliac and others). Those that are posted with sound are from iPhones with marginal audio quality. I want to up the ante to see what happens when the stereo mikes are in the sweet spot as well as 2 other channels with a pair of Omni mikes at 1 meter, that I now use for speaker design/buid/measurements, etc. in R&D.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Godataloss said:

If I'm the seller seeing how quickly you pounced on them, I'd laugh politely.    

If I were the seller, I'd consider myself lucky I don't have to prep huge boxes on Pallets to ship 700 pounds of horns............something he actually thanked me for in the text. Besides, why not make a new local friend who is an audiophile and Electrical Engineer, who is not part of the Klipsch Community,  21 minutes away by buying his Edgars at a fair price?

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 5:38 PM, Shiva said:

These look interesting and built tough too..  700 pounds of gear,  $2500 bucks.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649735971-edgarhorn-edgar-titan-ll-2-seismic-jbl-2441-350hz-mid-mid-bass-horn/

3257686-544ef8ab-edgarhorn-edgar-titan-ll-2-seismic-jbl-2441-350hz-mid-mid-bass-horn.jpg

Before I heard the 1502 and 1802 this was the best sub I had ever heard with horns. Of course Bruce Edgar was a proponent of Tractrix and friend to Roy and PWK.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I want to do some Audio Reviews on You Tube with some quality Microphones and Digital Recordings of the output in a "standard" Living Room vs. my reference system with reference recordings (like the ones that Roy uses). All the ones with just "talk talk talk, yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah WORDS" are too damn long and boring (like Audiophiliac and others). Those that are posted with sound are from iPhones with marginal audio quality. I want to up the ante to see what happens when the stereo mikes are in the sweet spot as well as 2 other channels with a pair of Omni mikes at 1 meter, that I now use for speaker design/buid/measurements, etc. in R&D.

Check out Decwares Forums, Steve does a lot of speaker reviews that sound great, Nice setup

Example  https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZMS.html  Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a couple of his demos.

2 superb songs that can really show off a system

1. Jennifer Warnes, album The Hunter, Song, Way Down Deep

2. Allison Krauss, album So Long So Wrong, Song, It Does'nt Matter

Also Danny Ritchie over at G.R. Research does some great Demos

On 5/6/2021 at 8:55 PM, seti said:

Before I heard the 1502 and 1802 this was the best sub I had ever heard with horns. Of course Bruce Edgar was a proponent of Tractrix and friend to Roy and PWK.

They are still in my trailer after 2 days of picking them up. Making room for the Sub in the rear of my HT, but the Mid Bass bins will be set up at a friends great sound room along with the "Salad Bowls." They came with JBL 2441 Alnico Magnet Drivers. I'm told they put JBL 2445 Titanium Diaphragms in there. They curve well enough, but I also have Klipsch K1133's, Faital Pro HF200's, JBL 2446's, JBL 2482's, to curve. I need to build a top section and will be using DaveA LMAHLs or SMAHLS with either DE-10 or DE-120 drivers to make a 3-way out of them, similar to the photos of the good Dr. showing them as 3-ways. They go out to 10 Khz. now reasonably well as is, but I want to have the very best sound and curves. Lots of permutations, I know, but I'm not in a hurry and will find the very best solution for these. Time to get some more Baltic Birch for those tops!!

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'm also hoping to hear his Apogee Divas when I go pick up the Edgars.

Had a quick Apogee Diva demo after loading them in my trailer. The guy has a huge room and listens at about 65 db. Not kidding. All Conrad Johnson driving 3-way ribbon speakers. They sounded like all Open Baffle speakers do, which a desireable/euphoric 3D illusion of depth that cannot be had any other way except maybe with KEF-LS50's on stands as point sources. His wife was asleep upstairs so I didn't ask him to turn them up. Heard Apogees about 25 years ago. Very detailed sound, but I'm a horn guy and will NEVER give up the "live sound" DYNAMICS of horns. IOW, not my cup of tea. Yes I still own 2 pairs of Carver Platinums, so I know that type of 3D sound very well, which have the Bohlender-Graebener Planar Magnetics with a Quad of  High Q 12" Magnet/Voice Coil/Paper Subwoofers on the black panels. They really need a big room and a 1 Kilowatt (30 dbWatt) amplifier to come alive and this is why I prefer horns and 10 watt (10 dbWatt) amplifiers!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Progress report: Placed the Seismic Sub in the back of my room and set it up on sub channel 1 of my HT setup so a couple of friends could hear it in the system and I would verify it work properly. The 18" JBL 2240 driver is a beast of a driver for a Full Horn like that. It came with a Dr. Edgar prescribed mono plate am (Hsu), and works just fine.

Purchased a pair of Radian Aluminum replacement diaphragms for the 2441 Mid Drivers after being assured that the magnetic strength was up to spec. by the seller (a EE that tested them. Based on White Papers by TrueXtent, I concluded that Aluminum (Dr. Edgar's first choice for the "Salad Bowls") was the second best material for them, since I wanted to add a Super Tweeter above the Mids and make a 3-way R&L channels.

The Radians are 16 ohms and got a $120 discount for a pair vs. the Radian Web site list price. They came with perfectly matched curves from the factory, as measured against some JBL Original Diaphrams and matched perfect with those from the QC department. I installed them without any issues and the ran my own curves, which match perfectly between the two.

On to the woofer section. Purchased a 4x8 foot, 18mm Sheet of Baltic Birch and cut it down to rough working pieces after coming up with a compatible mounting design with my good friend retired Architect/Builder, now Speaker Builder Hobbyist/Best Friend of almost 5 decades.

We installed them in his excellent sound room and we are currently working on 2 different crossovers. The result of which will be tested in concert with his Trio of Tapped horns that exist but have not been used in HT for over a year. They will do nicely as an 80 Hz. and below subwoofage system when we are ready to have a day of listening.

We sanded the dirt/discoloration off the surfaces of the Bass Horns and mounted the custom top end design so the voice coils align to 1/4 wave of each other. I've added a pair of DaveA's fabulous sMAHL super tweeters with the DE-120 drivers. We are working on the left channel only to develop the Crossover further, but preliminary curves are very encouraging, as was the listening test. The mids are about 3 db too hot, so we will have to bring that down a bit as part of the progressive tweaks and before we make listening to both channels with the sub. One step at a time, so to speak.

I plan on using Spar Polyurethane for the finish, which should give the wood the same beautiful "Honey Color" that I had with my original pair of Birch Khorns I got in '77, now owned by a friend and should come close to matching the lighter shade of wood in the "Salad Bowl" Tractrix Round Midrange horns!

Here's a few images showing some progress:

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

IMG_2353.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 7/3/2021 at 8:00 PM, soundbound said:

You did a great job! They look magnificent and they’re going to sound amazing! 

On 7/3/2021 at 9:59 PM, Fido said:

So cool Claude 

I can only take credit for the original purchase, the raw lumber cuts, and sanding down the darker discoloration from the original owner's "sunny exposure" to the raw finish. IOW, other than the salad bowls, the Sub and R&L Bass Horns have been unprotected for 18 years since they were built in 2003 by the good Dr. Edgar. But I do like the Honey Color look that will result when I coat them with Spar Urethane. I'm pretty tired of typical Walnut and Black for speakers (no offense to those with different decorative taste).

My friend did all the rest. He likes to build speakers, but is NOT a horn guy, even though he had LaScalas before I did, since he's older than I am by a few years. I'm sure he's working on a passive network as we speak, while I work on a bi-amp setup with an Active bandpass filter for the short Bass Horn. The Sub will be re-united with the mains later (when they are back home) after we have listened to both configurations in the same room using his subs and his room.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fido said:

Looks like a very fun project. Do you have your new studio up and running yet? Shot anything new lately in your new digs?

Not yet. I'll be the 3rd photographer in this space, which I will rent on a per hour basis after moving in some complementary equipment contributions for all to use. There's much flexibility there, and I may eventually pay monthly rent there if business warrants it. But I don't have to earn a full time living with it so...................part time for "candy money" so to speak!

I'll be creating new stock images of a few models after a week or so when they return from Florida, for my Lighting Education programs. This something I promised Dean Collins of San Diego I would do before esophagus cancer got him at 51, and something new photographers need pretty badly as far as I can tell.

FYI, the main photographer there (new friend) has a printing business in Chicago that he spends half his time with. He printed the beautiful coffee table books (high end brochure?) for the 2020 and 2021 Corvette! Even GM didn't get the 2021 yet. He gave them to me and I, in turn gave both to a long time friend who still has his original 1964 Convertible Vette as "garage jewelry" which I will be light painting with LEDs in a few weeks. Should be fun.

6 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Not yet. I'll be the 3rd photographer in this space, which I will rent on a per hour basis after moving in some complementary equipment contributions for all to use. There's much flexibility there, and I may eventually pay monthly rent there if business warrants it. But I don't have to earn a full time living with it so...................part time for "candy money" so to speak!

I'll be creating new stock images of a few models after a week or so when they return from Florida, for my Lighting Education programs. This something I promised Dean Collins of San Diego I would do before esophagus cancer got him at 51, and something new photographers need pretty badly as far as I can tell.

FYI, the main photographer there (new friend) has a printing business in Chicago that he spends half his time with. He printed the beautiful coffee table books (high end brochure?) for the 2020 and 2021 Corvette! Even GM didn't get the 2021 yet. He gave them to me and I, in turn gave both to a long time friend who still has his original 1964 Convertible Vette as "garage jewelry" which I will be light painting with LEDs in a few weeks. Should be fun.

That 1964 Corvette project sounds fun- being able to use led lighting and your dslr should make it easy for someone with your skills to create some stellar images. Please share the work you are going to do with your newest models. And I agree about new er photographers needing help learning to see the light or create it if it doesn’t already exist 

• Like 1

There’s a “photographer’s eye”, meaning the ability to see images when you look around, in a way that the average person does not.  It’s possible that it can be taught, but some people have it naturally.  They can take a point-and-shoot camera, or a smartphone, and produce great images.  Of course, it takes a lot of study and practice to go from being a skilled amateur to being a pro.  Being a natural, just like in every other field, will only take you so far.  A lot of hard work and experience is still needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

There’s a “photographer’s eye”, meaning the ability to see images when you look around, in a way that the average person does not.  It’s possible that it can be taught, but some people have it naturally.  They can take a point-and-shoot camera, or a smartphone, and produce great images.  Of course, it takes a lot of study and practice to go from being a skilled amateur to being a pro.  Being a natural, just like in every other field, will only take you so far.  A lot of hard work and experience is still needed.

I was a professional photographer for many years - I now create the majority of my images with an iPhone - check out  my photo website if you would like - http://www.davidhickeyphotography.com/#

see the light, be the light

• Like 1