EdgarHorn Titans.

Shiva

2 hours ago, Fido said:

I was a professional photographer for many years - I now create the majority of my images with an iPhone - check out  my photo website if you would like - http://www.davidhickeyphotography.com/#

see the light, be the light

That’s a pretty fine portfolio, David.  I see you enjoy using ultrawide lenses.  They do give a great effect.  I remember when I got my first 20mm lens, about twenty-five years ago.  I don’t use it a lot,  but I like to have it nearby.  Were those wide angle pictures shot with the iPhone, or are they DSLR shots?  Your work is somewhat more, well, pro than mine, which stands to reason.  I have had pictures published in American Photo and French PHOTO, so that’s fun for me and the models.  Some of those sentences seem out of sequence, but I’m going to bed soon, so they’ll do like that.

I was a member of the Professional Photographers Association of British Columbia (PPABC) for a few years, but they dealt mostly in portraits and weddings, two things I very rarely do.  Although I’m an amateur, I was able to produce ten 8x10 portraits of professional quality, which was the test to be admitted to the Association.  However,  the annual $200 gold sticker for my wall membership certificate stopped seeming like good value after a few years.  I then joined Model Mayhem, and a local figure art shooter noticed my work.  That led to an invite to join a local Facebook photography group, and I finally found myself among like-minded people.  We haven’t been active for the last year or two, but we hope to get back to the regular meetings of photographers, models, and makeup artists that we used to have.

There are quite a few good local models, but I generally work with the travelling professional models.  They contact me when they’re scheduled to be in town, and I take it from there.  I really enjoy the shooting, but I need to regain my interest in editing.  Do you enjoy editing, or is it a chore for you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Islander said:

That’s a pretty fine portfolio, David.  I see you enjoy using ultrawide lenses.  They do give a great effect.  I remember when I got my first 20mm lens, about twenty-five years ago.  I don’t use it a lot,  but I like to have it nearby.  Were those wide angle pictures shot with the iPhone, or are they DSLR shots?  Your work is somewhat more, well, pro than mine, which stands to reason.  I have had pictures published in American Photo and French PHOTO, so that’s fun for me and the models.  Some of those sentences seem out of sequence, but I’m going to bed soon, so they’ll do like that.

I was a member of the Professional Photographers Association of British Columbia (PPABC) for a few years, but they dealt mostly in portraits and weddings, two things I very rarely do.  Although I’m an amateur, I was able to produce ten 8x10 portraits of professional quality, which was the test to be admitted to the Association.  However,  the annual $200 gold sticker for my wall membership certificate stopped seeming like good value after a few years.  I then joined Model Mayhem, and a local figure art shooter noticed my work.  That led to an invite to join a local Facebook photography group, and I finally found myself among like-minded people.  We haven’t been active for the last year or two, but we hope to get back to the regular meetings of photographers, models, and makeup artists that we used to have.

There are quite a few good local models, but I generally work with the travelling professional models.  They contact me when they’re scheduled to be in town, and I take it from there.  I really enjoy the shooting, but I need to regain my interest in editing.  Do you enjoy editing, or is it a chore for you?

Thank you for the kind words. Most of my current website was shot with my iPhone and there are a lot of very wide angle and perspective images on it. I also used to be on mm before Instagram came around. I was a fairly well known glamor photographer specializing in available natural light work. I worked with many commercial clients and shot for a few national distributed magazines. I was the personal photographer for Hugh Hefner’s last wife for almost 10 years and shot many of the top playmates, adult film stars etc…. I retired a couple of years ago and deleted my Instagram account as I find social media to be quite toxic. Hence my website has none of the work I did with models and only reflects how I choose to look at the world today.

I enjoy editing but post processed very little when I was working with models.

I also shoot with many focal lengths - from my 300 to my 14 mm and every focal length  in between.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fido said:

I was a professional photographer for many years - I now create the majority of my images with an iPhone - check out  my photo website if you would like - http://www.davidhickeyphotography.com/#

So what percentage of those images are iPhone images besides the ones with infinite DOF? Saturation is your friend, aye? Great variety from a great eye, BTW!

I'm ready for a new website, so who is your host and website (template?) creator?

PS: ALL of the Edgarhorn Titan II progress images above are SOOC from my iPhone with just room lights in the sound room. The ones in the garage workshop were with ceiling LED lights with garage door open.

3 hours ago, Fido said:

I find social media to be quite toxic. Hence my website has none of the work I did with models and only reflects how I choose to look at the world today.

Toxic in what way? Negative comment from ignoramuses/trolls??

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So what percentage of those images are iPhone images besides the ones with infinite DOF? Saturation is your friend, aye? Great variety from a great eye, BTW!

I'm ready for a new website, so who is your host and website (template?) creator?

PS: ALL of the Edgarhorn Titan II progress images above are SOOC from my iPhone with just room lights in the sound room. The ones in the garage workshop were with ceiling LED lights with garage door open.

The majority of the images are iPhone images but the ones with shallow DOF are all from my dslr. I usually don’t ridiculously over saturate as I did on my website but I have been going thru a phase. My new phase is based obviously over the top super sat but I enjoy it, for now. It’s all about my visions now not anyone else’s likes or dislikes. I have shot thousands of unsaturated images over the years

my website is hosted on GoDaddy and created using Format. I’d be happy to discuss it with you a very versatile web based app.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Toxic in what way? Negative comment from ignoramuses/trolls??

Toxic for many reasons but mostly because it is a huge giant competition to get followers and it makes people feel like losers or winners.but… it’s basically all about algorithms and the use of bots etc and it requires input constantly as people following people have attention spans of flies, if even that long. Most people get so caught up in it they stop living in the now and I don’t see that as healthy. I had over 55,000 so called followers when I deleted my Instagram account but that could have been mostly just bots. Being on Instagram makes many women feel less worthy than they actually are and I find that very toxic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Islander said:

I will share a link to my beach model images if you are interested? Pm me for link and password

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2021 at 12:37 AM, Fido said:

Have you tried out the iPhone 12 Max yet?  It has an incredible array of cameras!

So I finally got to my baby girl's house to meet my new Grandson at lunchtime today. He was induced a little early in the cycle for the health of mom (my daughter) and spent about 5 days in NICU with a little glucose issue afterward. My kids were 8+ babies, so holding this adorable little 5 pounder (mask on of course) was an great experience for this papa.

Anyway, right before lunch, I got a call from my speaker builder buddy that he was done with Passive Network Mods and it was time for a listening session. Yes he hooked up his own "House Subwoofers," which consist of 3 Danley Spuds buried under the house and firing from under the chairs to our feet.

Let's just say that the only time I heard a set of horns as good as this was at Axpona 7 years ago when I heard the Sadurni Acoustics Staccato (Big Red) Horns. I spoke with George, the creator and he was both proud and nonchalant about the best sound of the whole show IMHO. They are very similar to what Dr. Bruce Edgar had done prior to this. Mine were built in 2003 model year and used DaveA's sMAHL tweeters with DE-120 drivers on mine. They were driven by Pass Preamp and Audio Research Class D monoblocs. I went trough all the test music that we have made our standards and I head things in there for the first time. My friend's room is well designed (Builder with Architect Degree) and this is the first time there has been a Full Horn system in there since he has other preferences. Let's just say it was difficult for me to go home and leave my babies behind. So now I will probably have a sale to make room. I sincerely believe that my Edgar Titans, with mounting, location, the addition of sMAHL Super Tweeters, and custom Xover Network are about as good as it gets. I heard things I never heard before "inside the music," Micro Details, if you will. Since they were built by the good Dr., and modified by my friend and I, no one can claim that I suffer from Beranek's Law of speaker building (he wrote this the year I was born and lived to be 102!

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

In comparison to my own listening experiences, here's a quote from the show in 2014 where Sadurni won first place:

"To be fair, the Sadurni Acoustics Staccato horn system, a $40k wooden horn duo with a brass super tweeter up top and a set of external subwoofers, is hardly the typical horn system. It really is quite amazing to look at, and the sound when paired with the super-clean, super-silent Merrill Audio Veritas mono blocks ($12k/pair/Hypex Class D technology.), is ultra-detailed and uncannily transparent. Grab that sweet spot and you’re in for a ride."

Basically, at Axpona 2014, Chicago, I took "the ride" and Norah Jones brought tears to my eyes, asking me to come away with her, which I did for an all too brief quantity of time.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 8:30 AM, Fido said:

I also shoot with many focal lengths - from my 300 to my 14 mm and every focal length  in between.

Yes indeed. I'm also a guilty collector and user of "fine glass." Since I can adapt them all to my Sony A7R series of bodies, I have 5 different mounts to deal with. I also aided in the development of the famous (but not greatly successful sales-wise) Foveon X3 sensor. The only multilayer PURE Silicon Sensor that works just like color film and does NOT use the Bayer Mosaic Sensor Filters(a Kodak invention by Dr. Bayer) that ALL other cameras in the world utilize.

I always invest in the best glass I can afford.

I still have all the best glass I ever bought and i think if you are going to invest in photo gear high quality glass is the most important thing to spend your money on. All my lenses are Canon L glass. Give me some good glass and anything to reflect light and some sun for backlight and I’m good to go.

See the light Be the light!!!

12 minutes ago, Fido said:

I always invested in the best glass and still have all of it and i think if you are going to invest in photo gear high quality glass is the most important thing to spend your money on. 

When I first got into photography in the mid 1980s, I went with Contax bodies and the best glass I could afford. Affordability was the key; it meant that I couldn't go with Zeiss, but instead with the likes of Kiron and Tokina. Not the best glass in the world, but not bad.

About a decade ago I switched to digital, with a Canon body and lenses. Just for fun I bought an adapter to mount the old glass on the new body, and took a series of comparison shots: old glass vs. new plastic. There was no comparison -- the old glass won hands-down, for sharpness, snap, contrast, and general image quality.