KP 301-II's Outdoors?

John Moore

I know the 301's are Pro speakers, and are often used outdoors, so can they be left outdoors all year? I'm most concerned about the effects temperature changes may have, since there can be a 30-50 degree change overnight during Summers in Boise. I don't plan on leaving them out in the Winter, so that's not an issue. I am considering making covers for them, mostly to keep the sun off of them during the day and dew off of them in the mornings.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

John

Main: KG 5.5, Loft: KG 4, Garage: KG 4 + KG 2, Outdoors: KP 301-II

@John Moore my dad uses a set of 301's out in his shop although not open to the elements the area is not temperature controlled. They are sitting on a couple "corner stands" to keep them off the concrete slab. Those corner stands have casters so when he is doing yard work or piddling around outside he rolls them to the doors and turns em up!

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 11:20 AM, John Moore said:

I know the 301's are Pro speakers, and are often used outdoors, so can they be left outdoors all year? I'm most concerned about the effects temperature changes may have, since there can be a 30-50 degree

take cheap wood panels and make a  case, , your enemy is dry heat -hot sun --or humidity --cover them when not in use  -

I have a pair of 301's that I truly love. I use them in the garage man cave exclusively and roll them outside from time to time, but NEVER leave them outside. I would be more concerned about moist air around the drivers and dew on the the woofers if they remained outside overnight. And I live in the desert, so dew is not a common thing here but does happen enough to be a concern. In a more humid area it would never even consider it.

A better plan would be to make them more mobile with quicker connections. I put mine on furniture dollies to roll them outside and I have double banana clips to connect them. Easy peasy, and I don't need to worry about them.   

Edited by Jon B
  • Like 1

Humidity in SE TX is normally around 85-99% most days.  I've had speakers on my back patio for decades with no issues.  They're under a patio cover so they don't get direct sunlight or rain but they're exposed to the outside atmosphere as the patio is completely open on 2 ends.  I've never once had a problem.

I've had a pair of CF 4's outside on a covered patio for four years now, They are MDF and I have only a little swelling on one corner that was getting hit by the sprinkler. I lightly sanded them. 1 coat shellac and some milk paint to distress them. None of which are recommended outdoors. My La Scalas are getting a coat of poly resin and epoxy paint. Keep them from getting too wet and you'll be fine but their life will definitely be shortened.

Mike

• 3 months later...

And I'm sure some folks install speakers in a car wash, but I wouldn't do it with any speaker I truly care about.

I'm sure there are people out there that have a stack of premium gear in their toy hauler RV to use when they make the God awful trip that could shake glass out of the windows for a weekend in the desert. But that doesn't mean I would do it with any of my vintage gear. There are too many cheap A/V receivers and reasonable sounding throwaway speakers out there to think about doing this to good quality vintage gear.

Not to mention dirt, dust, birds, rodents, insects, et al. Sure people do it, but it doesn't mean you should and just because you can/have and been lucky up to this point. Someone else being lucky is not a trend for others, nor is it recommended by the manufacturer...... But to each his own, it isn't my gear and cash at risk so enjoy the gamble..... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 12:39 PM, CECAA850 said:

KP = Klipsch Professional.   Theyre installed at the race track outside at Indy.  They seem to do OK.

And my money is on the Indy speakers being a KP version designed to be outside, but KP units all are not well suited for that kind of duty - in spite of the Klipsch Professional designation. While you can certainly store your lawnmower outside, it will definitely last much longer when stored in the garage. It is due to a little thing called exposure to the elements.....

I certainly do not know enough about the KP lineup to say which models are weatherproof and which ones are not. All I can say is the original question was concerning in KP-301's. I own a set of 301's that I have completely disassembled twice and know well inside and out. I can say with a great deal of certainly that the KP-301 was not designed to be outside in any kind of weather. Imagine a blowing rain that then freezes when it suddenly turns to an ice storm. I'm sure the driver diaphragms , speaker cones, and cases would definitely LOVE those conditions - not.

2 minutes ago, Jon B said:

And my money is on the Indy speakers being a KP version designed to be outside, but KP units all are well suited for that kind of duty - in spite of the Klipsch Professional designation. While you can certainly store your lawnmower outside, it will definitely last much longer when stored in the garage. It is due to a little thing called exposure to the elements.....

I certainly do not know enough about the KP lineup to say which models are weatherproof and which ones are not. All I can say is the original question was concerning in KP-301's. I own a set of 301's that I have completely disassembled twice and know well inside and out. I can say with a great deal of certainly that the KP-301 was not designed to be outside in any kind of weather. Imagine a blowing rain that then freezes when it suddenly turns to an ice storm. I'm sure the driver diaphragms , speaker cones, and cases would definitely LOVE those conditions - not.

Who said anything about leaving them out in the rain?   I'm talking about protected from the elements direct contact yet still exposed to heat, cold, humidity, etc.

Read the OPs original post and concern.  He's not planning on leaving them out in the winter so why bring up the frozen rain scenario?

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Who said anything about leaving them out in the rain?   I'm talking about protected from the elements direct contact yet still exposed to heat, cold, humidity, etc.

Read the OPs original post and concern.  He's not planning on leaving them out in the winter so why bring up the frozen rain scenario?

I don't intend to pick a fight on this but your reply about the race track was dismissive of me and inferred that I don't understand what the term Klipsch Professional means. So I replied in kind. For the record, I know a great deal about professional sound gear as a performer and on the setup and control side of the microphones.

To answer your question, the simple answer is - you did. You did so when you said, "Theyre installed at the race track outside at Indy.  They seem to do OK." So unless they are protected from the elements which you didn't say, or it just doesn't rain or get cold at Indy...... and we both know the answer to that, there is only one thing to conclude from your statement - they are "outside" in the elements.

3 hours ago, Jon B said:

I don't intend to pick a fight on this but your reply about the race track was dismissive of me and inferred that I don't understand what the term Klipsch Professional means. So I replied in kind. For the record, I know a great deal about professional sound gear as a performer and on the setup and control side of the microphones.

To answer your question, the simple answer is - you did. You did so when you said, "Theyre installed at the race track outside at Indy.  They seem to do OK." So unless they are protected from the elements which you didn't say, or it just doesn't rain or get cold at Indy...... and we both know the answer to that, there is only one thing to conclude from your statement - they are "outside" in the elements.

Jon -

what  @CECAA850 was saying is that  although the speakers are outside  , they are not subjected to the Elements so ,  they remain dry , and when the cold weather hits , they are covered up -  

On 5/6/2021 at 11:20 AM, John Moore said:

I know the 301's are Pro speakers, and are often used outdoors, so can they be left outdoors all year? I'm most concerned about the effects temperature changes may have, since there can be a 30-50 degree change overnight during Summers in Boise. I don't plan on leaving them out in the Winter, so that's not an issue. I am considering making covers for them, mostly to keep the sun off of them during the day and dew off of them in the mornings.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

John

Main: KG 5.5, Loft: KG 4, Garage: KG 4 + KG 2, Outdoors: KP 301-II

Yes man, Welcome!

Yes, they make, or you can make covers...asked and answered.

How can I best help you now...

Hi Randy,

As you have stated, it makes sense. It is not what I read originally, but I get the point and agree somewhat.

Getting back to the original question, as I understand it, the poster wants to put the speakers outside and wishes to protect them in a manner that allows them to function whenever they are needed, I presume even when relaxing when there is a comfortable rain outside (no one would be out in a serious storm). Question: Would you leave a pair of Cornwall's outside with a protective cover around the cabinet - with the drivers partially protected, but not fully covered, so they can be heard whenever used? I wouldn't, and I don't think others would either. Gale force wind can really whip moisture around and things WILL get wet without 100% protection i.e. a full cover. The magic of a rugged cabinet in a KP series speaker does not change the drivers inside that are common between these two speaker types, so while one is intended only for interior use and the other for professional applications - the drivers remain at risk when left outdoors. Sealing them up in a mostly waterproof shell perforated for the drivers would protect the cabinets, but not the drivers. And that is the point that I am really tired of talking about. I just cant tell someone in good faith, "Oh don't worry I have seen it done before," when I honestly would not do it myself with my own gear. I'm not calling out anyone else for feeling different, only pointing out that an enclosure that would fully protect the speakers would require them to also be covered IN THE FRONT when not in use. Thus making them non-functional until the cover is removed or simply left open all the time which is not advisable.

I harbor no ill will for @CECAA850 I just took exception with the earlier brief reply. He demonstrated he is a good guy when he gracefully backed out of the discussion - don't know him, but believe he's a classy guy from his actions.

The treadmill crack from another poster was funny, but I'm not going there.....