Restuffing capacitor cans

I kept the old Aerovox, Sprague, and Astron metal capacitors when I updated them in my Khorn's type A crossovers a few years ago. The recent availability of Klipsch approved replacement caps thru JEM got me thinking about keeping the crossovers original, by removing the old capacitor's guts and restuffing them with new plastic caps. Has anyone ever tried this with a square metal capacitor? I've done it on old radios before, but a Gaggle search only comes up with doing it to round electrolytics. Any idea what's inside these square cans?

4 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I would almost doubt any new capacitors are going to fit inside those old cans given how the shapes are different.  But who knows...

The new ones are pretty small but I'd never pull the old caps apart.  There's nasty stuff in there.

some  oil filled type capacitors  used PCB's as a coolant prior to 1979  -IF manufactured after 1979   they may be  stamped "NO PCBs"  on its casing. These are filled with oil which does not contain PCBs -

10 hours ago, Davecv41 said:

I kept the old Aerovox, Sprague, and Astron metal capacitors when I updated them in my Khorn's type A crossovers a few years ago. The recent availability of Klipsch approved replacement caps thru JEM got me thinking about keeping the crossovers original, by removing the old capacitor's guts and restuffing them with new plastic caps. Has anyone ever tried this with a square metal capacitor? I've done it on old radios before, but a Gaggle search only comes up with doing it to round electrolytics. Any idea what's inside these square cans?

Definitely not recommended.