Jump to content

Chorus II passive radiator needed.


Recommended Posts

Looking for a passive radiator, preferably with a rubber surround (instead of pleated) since my other speaker has the superseded part with a rubber surround.

A pleated surround version could be considered, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know what the price is but klipsch will sell you a rubber surround current model passive that will probably be like the rubber surround one you have now. They do not make the pleated ones now but the rubber surround passives are what Klipsch sells as OEM retrofits for the pleated passives. This was true a few years back when I needed a Forte passive so you might need to check and see if they still sell them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, tickertape said:

Thank you. I emailed that request weeks ago. I got a response a couple weeks later that they're working on replying to a back up of requests.  Nothing since then, though.

Suggest you continue sending emails once per week to keep your request visible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hope you get a reply soon,  took 2 months to get an answer via email on my last request.  

 

not sure what part # klipsch sells for the passives now but the forte3 rubber surround passive was said to be acceptable/correct for the chorus 2 in the past but recently it was stated they are not correct... no reply or confirmation to the question i asked on this recently so might want to get confirmation from klipsch if/when they reply or post a new question to get a final answer. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ended up going with the recone kit from simply speakers, although in retrospect I might have gone with the Forte III just to know they are up to spec. Really can't get a better authority on compatibility than Ray. I would not hold your breath for OEM pleated ones, they are few and far between.

 

Let me know if you end up with a KD-16 basket, I'm still looking out for another donor to recone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, iaRIVR said:

I ended up going with the recone kit from simply speakers, although in retrospect I might have gone with the Forte III just to know they are up to spec. Really can't get a better authority on compatibility than Ray. I would not hold your breath for OEM pleated ones, they are few and far between.

 

Let me know if you end up with a KD-16 basket, I'm still looking out for another donor to recone.

OK did you take the weight off the old OEM passive and put it in the new one? There has to be a weight in there to make it work right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

OK did you take the weight off the old OEM passive and put it in the new one? There has to be a weight in there to make it work right.

 

I have not done it yet :) But yes when I do I will transfer the weight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2021 at 8:29 AM, iaRIVR said:

I ended up going with the recone kit from simply speakers, although in retrospect I might have gone with the Forte III just to know they are up to spec. Really can't get a better authority on compatibility than Ray. I would not hold your breath for OEM pleated ones, they are few and far between.

 

Let me know if you end up with a KD-16 basket, I'm still looking out for another donor to recone.

 

the F3 is not "up to spec" for a chorus 2 speaker. ray (roy) recently stated he made a mistake in saying the F3 is ok to use for a ch2.  

 

until if/when the kd16 is available to buy, simply speakers re-cone is the best option,  or find a used OEM. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

 

the F3 is not "up to spec" for a chorus 2 speaker. ray (roy) recently stated he made a mistake in saying the F3 is ok to use for a ch2.  

 

until if/when the kd16 is available to buy, simply speakers re-cone is the best option,  or find a used OEM. 

 

Woah! I did not see that. Where did he say that? So glad I didn't spend the money on the FIIIs. He initially said very confidently they would work.

 

The SS cones are pleated, and I trust them to know how to spec a proper replacement. Plus passives seem much simpler the drivers with a few basic variables (area, weight, material, surround).

 

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-speaker-passive-radiator-recone-kit-rk-klpkd15.html

 

Not pushing that option but after much research is the way I went.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, iaRIVR said:

 

Woah! I did not see that. Where did he say that? So glad I didn't spend the money on the FIIIs. He initially said very confidently they would work.

 

The SS cones are pleated, and I trust them to know how to spec a proper replacement. Plus passives seem much simpler the drivers with a few basic variables (area, weight, material, surround).

 

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-speaker-passive-radiator-recone-kit-rk-klpkd15.html

 

Not pushing that option but after much research is the way I went.

 

its in a recent thread & i updated the thread where a member bought & used the F3. 

 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/200317-chorus-ii-passive-radiator-damaged/

 

i've used SS a few times & they provide quality parts, they state the klipsch recone kits meet OEM specs. klipsch parts dept even refers you to them when they dont carry older parts like this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2021 at 10:12 AM, tickertape said:

The Simply Speakers kit won't work for me then, being pleated.

My replacement KD16 from the mid 2000s has a rubber surround.

 

best of luck matching that rare design kd16.  another option would be to have them both reconed to the correct pleated style if you care about matching cosmetics or sell your kd16 to buy some used OEM ones. 

 

or another option im trying to get confirmation on is to buy a F3 kd15 from klipsch & add the right amount of weight to it to match the kd16 weight. 

 

sure would be easy for klipsch to offer a correct kd16 by just adding the right amount of weight to the currect F3 they sell... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, tickertape said:

I wouldn't expect an original KD16 to have much life left.

Have you got personal experience in what Klipsch currently offers for the KD16?

 

original kd16s if undamaged have lost of "life left"... passives in general dont wear out. 

 

no i dont have any experience with that & from what ive read on here so far & was told by klipsch a couple years ago when i tried to buy one,  klipsch does not offer the kd16, thats why everyone was buying the F3 kd15.  im sure it works fine for those that cant find the originals but i prefer correct parts if possible & would buy a used OEM kd16 in good shape over a F3.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

 

original kd16s if undamaged have lost of "life left"... passives in general dont wear out. 

 

no i dont have any experience with that & from what ive read on here so far & was told by klipsch a couple years ago when i tried to buy one,  klipsch does not offer the kd16, thats why everyone was buying the F3 kd15.  im sure it works fine for those that cant find the originals but i prefer correct parts if possible & would buy a used OEM kd16 in good shape over a F3.  

Yes...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

22 hours ago, tickertape said:

 

the klipsch Parts dept have very good prices ,PM @Trey Cannon , (Klipsch Employee )with your  contact information/tel , email  -

, maybe he can intercede with klipsch parts ,for them to call you or quote you  by Email ----due to Covid -  Regards Randy

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

 

the klipsch Parts dept have very good prices ,PM @Trey Cannon , (Klipsch Employee )with your  contact information/tel , email  -

, maybe he can intercede with klipsch parts ,for them to call you or quote you  by Email ----due to Covid -  Regards Randy

 

 

I thought we just established that Klipsch does not make a KD16 replacement, so not sure what they can do.  Has @Trey Cannon offered to be an intermediary for the Klipsch parts department? Good idea to make sure he's okay with volunteering him to help...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...