LaScala 80s vintage - should I upgrade crossovers?

Hi everyone. I have used my LaScala’s as fronts and Heresy’s for rears for my fully vintage quad setup. I installed Crites crossovers in the Heresy’s 2 summers ago and it truly was an improvement. When I bought the LaSala’s in the 90s and one was said to have alk crossover and the other was their friend’s attempt at copying it, I think - if I remember correctly. I want to start listening to the LaScala’s for stereo vinyl and hi-rez sacd’s and such. I use Axiom m80s currently for stereo and actually 5.1 ht setup and they are nice, but I think these LaScala’s might take me to another level. I would love any and all opinions - should I update crossovers, and if so, which brand? ALK, Crites, etc.? I want them matched for sure, if I do anything. Also, without Bob’s excellent help (RIP), I could not have done the Heresy’s. I can follow directions and the fact of LaScala x-overs being so accessible, I thought I could handle it. I am no handy-woman other than trying hard and learning to be careful. I can solder a little, but iffy. So, please give opinions, even if I should just leave them alone. And it is fine if people disagree, I just want klipsch-lovers’ opinions. Thanks so much in advance.

Laura

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chapin99 said:

- should I update crossovers, and if so, which brand?

klipsch now offer OEM Klipsch Capacitors that preserve the klipsch sound signature of your speakers using the same parts that came Stock in klipsch crossovers

these are sold through 1 Dealer in the USA  , Jim is a forum member you reach him via PM

@JEM Performance

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chapin99 said:

Hi everyone. I have used my LaScala’s as fronts and Heresy’s for rears for my fully vintage quad setup. I installed Crites crossovers in the Heresy’s 2 summers ago and it truly was an improvement. When I bought the LaSala’s in the 90s and one was said to have alk crossover and the other was their friend’s attempt at copying it, I think - if I remember correctly. I want to start listening to the LaScala’s for stereo vinyl and hi-rez sacd’s and such. I use Axiom m80s currently for stereo and actually 5.1 ht setup and they are nice, but I think these LaScala’s might take me to another level. I would love any and all opinions - should I update crossovers, and if so, which brand? ALK, Crites, etc.? I want them matched for sure, if I do anything. Also, without Bob’s excellent help (RIP), I could not have done the Heresy’s. I can follow directions and the fact of LaScala x-overs being so accessible, I thought I could handle it. I am no handy-woman other than trying hard and learning to be careful. I can solder a little, but iffy. So, please give opinions, even if I should just leave them alone. And it is fine if people disagree, I just want klipsch-lovers’ opinions. Thanks so much in advance.

Laura

How do they sound to you Laura?

8 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

klipsch now offer OEM Klipsch Capacitors that preserve the klipsch sound signature of your speakers using the same parts that came Stock in klipsch crossovers

these are sold through 1 Dealer in the USA  , Jim is a forum member you reach him via PM

@JEM Performance

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

not true, everyone knows you can't get the same parts that came in them from the factory

• Like 1

• Moderators

It’s pretty clear that JEM is a Klipsch authorized service center. Klipsch recommends you use them for your servicing needs. I believe the link to JEM is posted above. Please feel free to PM me should you need additional info.

Christy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 hours ago, chapin99 said:

When I bought the LaSala’s in the 90s and one was said to have alk crossover and the other was their friend’s attempt at copying it, I think ...

The ALK didn’t exist back then. 

As for capacitors, I suggest doing it Klipsch’s way first and seeing what you think. If you like it, then leave them alone. This will also be the most cost effective method. 

11 hours ago, billybob said:

How do they sound to you Laura?

Thanks for reminding me to say. They sound fine, but sometimes I think the output of one is less than the other (but given the amount of vintage 4-channel equipment I run, one never knows if it is from the receiver, q8 deck or what and usually some button pushing and occasional deoxit helps, yet still I believe the sound it fainter on the right channel. The other confounding thing, of course, is that it is not ideal speaker placement for right channel due to medai storage in front of it. I will sometimes move my other system’s front right and toe-in the LaScala for better sound. And trust me, I have scoured my smaller home for some other place to store music, but the square footage is just not there. It may be just that periodic wanderlust to make a change and feel like my system is optimized, but I have always thought I would feel better if the two crossovers were identical. Maybe I should leave well enough alone? Something to consider as well.😀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dtel's wife said:

It’s pretty clear that JEM is a Klipsch authorized service center. Klipsch recommends you use them for your servicing needs. I believe the link to JEM is posted above. Please feel free to PM me should you need additional info.

Christy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Christy. I appreciate that.

Crites will rebuild yours or make you brand new crossovers. Or you could go old school route and just make the plain type A crossover fewer parts. I have those in mine they came with AA in 1980. I like the type A because less is more rule. Easy to build and they both should have same one in them. See the source image

My first Klipsch speakers were a pair of 1974 La Scalas, which are still in my system.  They came with AA crossovers, which have a good reputation, but from reading posts on the Forum, I learned that capacitors don’t last forever, while most of the other crossover components do keep performing well for decades.  At the time, the speakers were 32 years old.

I ordered a Sonicap crossover set from Bob Crites (RIP), and while I was at it, I also ordered a pair of his CT125 tweeters.  The reason for that was that I’d tested the output of both tweeters, and noticed a difference of 2-3 dB between them.  I reasoned that could not be good for stereo imaging.  When I checked the new CT125 tweeters, they were within 1/2 to 1 dB, which was clearly better, plus their frequency response goes much higher than the stock K-77 tweeters.

To be sure which new parts made which changes, I put in one pair/set first.  At this point, I don’t remember which I did first, but when I replaced the old “tin-can” caps with the new Sonicaps, the sound was definitely improved, mostly in improved clarity.  Three days later (or maybe earlier.  There was a 3-day space; I’m sure of that.), I installed the new tweeters, and they clearly improved the sound as well.

I was very happy with both changes.  More recently, I’ve learned that Crites Speakers now carries CT120 tweeters, which are said to be an improvement over the earlier CT125 models.

Your logic of wanting both speakers to be identical is totally sensible.  In a stereo system, identical performance from each speaker is assumed and required.  As for soldering, the more you do it, the easier and better it gets.  It’s an idea to read a bit about it, so you can learn the most effective ways to make good solder joints.

Finally, welcome to the Forum!  It’s a great place to discuss audio and learn more about it, and a great place to just hang out.

• Like 3

I think it's pretty clear that you have lots of options.  As you know, the Crites family has been serving the Klipsch community for many years, and their customer service is above reproach.  Your previous experience with Mr. Crites should tell you all you need to know.

Now, as for the subject of "A" vs "AA" networks, at least to my ears the AA sounds smoother and more balanced.  I have numerous pairs of La Scalas and I have AA networks in all of them.