The price of hi quality audio

10 hours ago, Fido said:

I like a holistic approach to improving sound enjoyment. Better speakers, better amplification, better turntable, better DAC, better streamer/ source etc. It all adds up and can be fun as you systematically improve your audio setup over time. It seems it takes some time to know the sound that turns ones mind on.

Agree, it is a game of 1% improvements

The improvements are eliminating underperformers

There is no substitute for great source recordings.

16GA lamp cord is not an under-performer, coax will measure better at frequencies a bat may be able to hear.

Gold plated or exotic metals terminals are no better than nickle steel, after years you may have to clean some oxidation, so what.

Old style spring loaded clamp connectors are good enough, possibly more secure and you don't need the expensive connectors. How often do you pull the cables off the amp ?

If you can't measure it, does it exist ?

Slew rate and TIM were audible, measurable problems; identifying the cause and cure took some work....

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bubo said:

I would use McIntosh as a benchmark

They do everything in house.

They sell via distributors.

if an equivalent costs more, Why ?

Cary, yes

Ayon, yes

Allnic, no

That's really part of the question, why do they cost so much more, thousands more and i doubt they sound much better than an amp costing 40,000 dollars less.   I have looked at the Toolshed amps as well.  I really like the looks and the reviews seem pretty good, but not sure if 10w would be enough to drive the bass as low as i like it at times.  $5500 is a bit over my budget as well.    Anyone have any experience with the Toolshed amps?

13 minutes ago, mopardave said:

That's really part of the question, why do they cost so much more, thousands more and i doubt they sound much better than an amp costing 40,000 dollars less.   I have looked at the Toolshed amps as well.  I really like the looks and the reviews seem pretty good, but not sure if 10w would be enough to drive the bass as low as i like it at times.  $5500 is a bit over my budget as well.    Anyone have any experience with the Toolshed amps?

Scope of problem

A. I want an airplane.

Everything with wings is now on the table as a solution.

B. I need a plane to fly 150 miles, 2 passengers, daylight, fair weather only, no cargo in excess of 300lbs, needs to operate down to zero F, grass landings and take off, needs to hold enough fuel for the round trip. No mechanics near by, so low maintenance. Used low hours is OK.

Now you have a problem that can be solved.......

4 minutes ago, Bubo said:

16GA lamp cord is not an under-performer, coax will measure better at frequencies a bat may be able to hear.

Gold plated or exotic metals terminals are no better than nickle steel, after years you may have to clean some oxidation, so what.

Old style spring loaded clamp connectors are good enough, possibly more secure and you don't need the expensive connectors. How often do you pull the cables off the amp ?

Slew rate and TIM were audible, measurable problems; identifying the cause and cure took some work....

4 minutes ago, Bubo said:

I agree, it will be small improvements at a time.  I am looking at getting back into vinyl and looking at the EAT turntables.  Still using my old modded Sony C333ES super audio changer for feeding audio to my Chinese amps.    Really thinking more serious about the Ayon amps as well.    I would think these two items would make some nice improvements.

2 minutes ago, Bubo said:

Scope of problem

A. I want an airplane.

Everything with wings is now on the table as a solution.

B. I need a plane to fly 150 miles, 2 passengers, daylight, fair weather only, no cargo in excess of 300lbs, needs to operate down to zero F, grass landings and take off, needs to hold enough fuel for the round trip. No mechanics near by, so low maintenance. Used low hours is OK.

Now you have a problem that can be solved.......

Yes, i understand.  Looking at all options here for sure.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I agree, it will be small improvements at a time.  I am looking at getting back into vinyl and looking at the EAT turntables.  Still using my old modded Sony C333ES super audio changer for feeding audio to my Chinese amps.    Really thinking more serious about the Ayon amps as well.    I would think these two items would make some nice improvements.

I love Design, it is art

But you can't hear it....

A high end used Denon or any of the Dual turn tables from 20-50 years ago are hard to beat

Both produced from economies that were bombed out and oriented to making consumer products to earn dollars.

Convert the old prices to gold at $35oz, then reconvert to current exchange rates. These are, were, $3k-$4K products and worth every penny.

For new products, the Audio Technica, Panasonic knock offs are hard to beat, but fully manual.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Yes, i understand.  Looking at all options here for sure.

Ayon Spirit

The specs section is missing the specs like SN, THD, freq response at power etc.

Why do you need 70W ?

The attraction of tube is simplicity, above 30W it's less simple.

The greatest minds in the world came up with 300b tube amps and horn loaded speakers at WECO

They invented sound reproduction that was intelligible and amplified for a theater.

They invented sound that audiences were willing to pay to hear, over and over again.

If you want an option that doesn’t break the bank look at Aric Audio. I just bought his Super KT88/120 SE and it is one of the best sounding amps I have owned. Made in the USA with premium parts and PTP wiring, no circuit boards. Aric Kimball is very accessible and always eager to help. Highly recommended.

Shakey

39 minutes ago, Bubo said:

Ayon Spirit

The specs section is missing the specs like SN, THD, freq response at power etc.

Why do you need 70W ?

The attraction of tube is simplicity, above 30W it's less simple.

The greatest minds in the world came up with 300b tube amps and horn loaded speakers at WECO

They invented sound reproduction that was intelligible and amplified for a theater.

They invented sound that audiences were willing to pay to hear, over and over again.

I just read the review on the Ayon spirit v.  I believe 70w max as well. Don't really need 70w, but nice to have some reserve power to reproduce the lower bass notes was my thought.  The way i understand it, the Ayon is wired a bit different than your tipical tube amp for a cleaner sound. Sounds like SET, but with lots of power.   Gonna have to step up to the pay window with this amp at $6000.00 thou.

It is only worth $35K, if someone is willing to pay 35K. 
Though not the 75th anniversary, I know of 2 sets of the new Jubilees that have been ordered. Some people are willing to pay.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyH000 said:

any idea of the price range

Just looking right now, but looking to pull the trigger in the fall or around christmas.   I would like to keep it under $3000, but depends how much i want it. $6000 may not be out of question.

I think for $35k I would start with paying someone to acoustically treat my room, eq the system, then I would look at all the 4k and under amps iv wanted to try. If possible maybe chase an high end active crossover and try a pair of those MC303s.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

If you want an option that doesn’t break the bank look at Aric Audio. I just bought his Super KT88/120 SE and it is one of the best sounding amps I have owned. Made in the USA with premium parts and PTP wiring, no circuit boards. Aric Kimball is very accessible and always eager to help. Highly recommended.

Shakey

Those look to be nice as well.  They kind of remind me of the NOSvalves amp craig used to build.  He used to live near me and an old friend. He might be able to build me a pair if i wanted that style/design.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I think for $35k I would start with paying someone to acoustically treat my room, eq the system, then I would look at all the 4k and under amps iv wanted to try. If possible maybe chase an high end active crossover and try a pair of those MC303s.

$35k is just plain crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, mopardave said:

Just looking right now, but looking to pull the trigger in the fall or around christmas.   I would like to keep it under $3000, but depends how much i want it. $6000 may not be out of question.

The used market is where I would concentrate for any high end amplifier-preamp - original buyers usually take care of their gear 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

To many amp/speaker combos, even at 38, I'd need to retire now to just hear them all.

I was fortunate to have a Friend who managed a successful stereo store, back in the 70s-80s when there were plenty of chains and stand alone operations competing for the business.

After a few months of listening on and off, I purchased Heresy 1s and a Yamaha CR20202 Receiver.  By comparing blind to the Mc gear and Klipsch entire product line.

Six months later I got a call from my friend telling me if I wanted a totl Mac stack, bring $1,200 and hurry over. So I took my money saved for a car and hurried over. A customer wanted to sell his 6 month old gear for less than half, so I bought it. The store didn't take trade ins.

Few months later my friend was the top Klipsch store either on the East Coast or US

Either way Klispch sold him a pair of LaScalas at cost, I got them new.

I have never looked back no matter how many systems I sample.

The matched totl for the store was Klipsch and McIntosh, they had done the work for me. Sadly, big box stores killed the business along with surround. Without the value of the stores competing by adding integration value, it's much harder for new buyers IMHO.

McIntosh and Klipsch are still both stodgy and effective solutions.

Baring a total collapse of civilization, I may begin playing with some simple tube solutions in a few months, something to tinker with. I have around 20 solid state rebuilds to do first.

I salute the Apple I-Pod and I-phone with $2 ear buds for binging: stereo, headphones and vinyl with large speakers back from the brink of extinction...

• Like 1