The price of hi quality audio

I been listening to the Cornwall IV's on different places around here and been going back and forth. Trying to get to know the people at the dealer. As far as the Cornwalls they all sounds nice on strings, vocals, horns and classic organs demos using just a small amount of wattage.. Very Alive! Sometimes they ask me if I have some particular music that I like to listen to, bring them over and they'll play it. I'm slowly bringing 1 or 2 of some of the albums I generally listen to and few of the albums I have in my collection that captures the most of the instruments and frequency ranges that I'm presently familiar... And noticeably makes a big difference depending on the amp being use. There's so many good amps out there especially today that can drive these Mommas easily but due to the limited local places that I've been, So far I enjoyed it with the Mcintosh 275. I felt that the bass was holding up pretty good and its giving that wide array including the mid-bass and highs all at the same time. Its very nice to listen to it as I move a bit to distance delivering a clean holographic sound. So far there's nothing that I can say but good. However I still have the time to listen more and decide for this 6C33C-B amp and the right speakers are going to Asia. I have to be very honest in choosing the right speakers for the type of music that I normally listen to.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Would you like to qualify that remark with a “not worth it to me”?

If you subscribe to that method of measurement it becomes a very broad swipe. Some things no matter how good they may perform are overpriced. That is they offer little to nothing tangible in improvement over another to warrant the premium.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, geezin' said:

If you subscribe to that method of measurement it becomes a very broad swipe. Some things no matter how good they may perform are overpriced. That is they offer little to nothing tangible in improvement over another to warrant the premium.

I think the “broad swipe” is to assign worth to something out of context. A 50k preamp wouldn’t be on my radar even if I had Elon Musk money.  But most people approach the question of “worth” from the perspective of whether or not they can afford the item in question. If it’s within reach, the answer is different than if it’s truly a pipe dream.

So yes, a 50k preamp can be worth the $$ if one can afford it and one likes what it does. Who am I (or you) to say otherwise?

Shakey, 

I'm willing to bet the gear you have listed is close to as good as most would ever need in order to enjoy the sound of their music. Having listened to many setups and high end gear, there's just a point of diminishing return on investment and in some cases, little to no improvement. Most of the really expensive gear sells for about half what it retails for because most of it is purchased by those with deep pockets who are often less informed. To them, it's just like going out and buying a fancy watch. It's like someone who has money to buy fifty thousand dollar cables. We all know they perform no better but there are people willing to spend it.

Here's a prime example of a hustle.

• Like 2

I see the point you’re trying to make.  But a Honda civic will get me to and fro much like a Ferrari 296. In their basic forms, both are essentially cars. Does that mean I should tell someone the F car is not “worth” 300k?

Just like an economy car has its place, so does an exotic one. And both are worthy to different buyers. Now before someone says you can objectively measure why the Ferrari is better on a track I will say that a good system brings its owner joy that will never be measured by test equipment.

• Like 2

There are million dollar amplifiers out there, at least Nelson Pass says so. Do they sound that much better than a $5k amplifier? I will never know. 🙂

But why worry about such, if someone has the money and wants a touch, %, of what they consider better good for them. Heresy's sound mighty fine from what I hear but it appears the Jubilee is selling well for those that can afford them. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I think the “broad swipe” is to assign worth to something out of context. A 50k preamp wouldn’t be on my radar even if I had Elon Musk money.  But most people approach the question of “worth” from the perspective of whether or not they can afford the item in question. If it’s within reach, the answer is different than if it’s truly a pipe dream.

So yes, a 50k preamp can be worth the $$ if one can afford it and one likes what it does. Who am I (or you) to say otherwise?

Is that $50K preamp worth it when the $1400 one measures better? Don't believe that to be the case. And if we cannot discuss this why does this forum and others exist? Perhaps you missed the qualifier "tangible" in my post. I do believe I expressed the "context" clearly in my response.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Is that $50K preamp worth it when the $1400 one measures better? Don't believe that to be the case. And if we cannot discuss this why does this forum and others exist? Perhaps you missed the qualifier "tangible" in my post. I do believe I expressed the "context" clearly in my response.

Who said you can’t discuss it?

And I don’t give two s$&ts about which one measures better. I guarantee you one will sound better than the other. And if I were shopping at that level and the 1400.00 preamp sounded better, I’d buy it and keep the difference. If the more expensive one wins, then I weigh the delta and decide if it’s “worth” it to ME. If it is, then I spend MY money.

Worth is such a subjective term. So no need beating this thing to death.  You are welcome to if it suits you because this is, as you suggest, an open forum for such things.

19 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Is that $50K preamp worth it when the $1400 one measures better? 

When younger I put a lot of emphasis on numbers. Not any more. Designers, I am talking renown designers who are respected in their field, design a component with the emphasis on what they consider as best sounding hoping there are enough buyers that agree and buy their product. On higher end components, none would be considered bad, it comes down to the sound you prefer. Being a Nelson Pass follower I remember him saying, "For decades I designed amplifiers with great numbers, now I build amplifiers that sound good to me" not forgetting decent numbers with most times some 2nd harmonics and a touch of 3rd thrown in. 

I have not heard Nelson's higher end products but from his sales many must agree with his statement. It is funny to me that his main market is not the USA. Waiting list for many of products says a lot. Selling them as fast as they can make them. 

I try and respect everyone's opinion on this forum. Very knowledgeable and devoted followers of Klipsch. At least most of them.  

• Like 3