Took the plunge, Ordered my FIRST NEW amp

joessportster

Called Mike Sanders this afternoon, Was shocked when he answered the phone (being Sat.)  short version is I put in an order for a new pair of quicksilver Horn Mono Amps hoping they will be the answer to my to much gain issue..................The wait begins!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 13

3 hours ago, MC39693 said:

@joessportster, the real question is/are... what will you listen to first and with what beverage?

I have a lot of reference materials, most likely will be Allison Krauss, Jennifer Warnes, Dire Straits, Lyle Lovett,  and a few others.................I dont do Alcohol, so will be strong black coffee (Petes Major Dickenson Blend) or Chai Tea 

2 hours ago, oldred said:

Which pair?

George,

Horn Monos, LOW gain 25wpc  http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/horn-mono-amp/

I have a Bi-Amp system using a Lii Audio F-15 Full Range Driver up top and a Lii Audio W-15 on Bottom. Using a SET 6L6 amp on the top paired with my Supertec Syrah Pre it sounds phenomenal but the gain is such that even a 5 / 6 WPC set amp restricts the Pre Volume to 9: O-clock position at best. The Quicksilvers have higher WPC But Lower gain they were designed for use with horn speakers. They are dead quiet......................I am hoping the lower gain will allow for better use for the volume control on my pre. I already know I like the sound having had an older pair of the horn monos that lost a power supply cap, and I sold them as a project

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 8:44 PM, joessportster said:

Called Mike Sanders this afternoon, Was shocked when he answered the phone (being Sat.)  short version is I put in an order for a new pair of quicksilver Horn Mono Amps hoping they will be the answer to my to much gain issue..................The wait begins!!!!!!!!!!

Your first new amp? You must be getting forgetful in your old age ;) 

• Haha 1

Horn Monos, LOW gain 25wpc  http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/horn-mono-amp/

I have a Bi-Amp system using a Lii Audio F-15 Full Range Driver up top and a Lii Audio W-15 on Bottom. Using a SET 6L6 amp on the top paired with my Supertec Syrah Pre it sounds phenomenal but the gain is such that even a 5 / 6 WPC set amp restricts the Pre Volume to 9: O-clock position at best. The Quicksilvers have higher WPC But Lower gain they were designed for use with horn speakers. They are dead quiet......................I am hoping the lower gain will allow for better use for the volume control on my pre. I already know I like the sound having had an older pair of the horn monos that lost a power supply cap, and I sold them as a project

After reading about the Peet’s coffee I had to order some , very good !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2021 at 8:02 PM, Deang said:

Everyone knows all of your amps are used. I mean you run ‘em for like a week before you ship them. 🙂

Christ I figured COVID took you out! Yeah I always have had trouble letting go LOL!! 

On 5/8/2021 at 8:44 PM, joessportster said:

I just bought a pair last month.  You're going to enjoy them.  With a standard hifi preamp (2v out), my Belles can still get so loud it's hard to be in the same room with them, but it's still crystal clear.

I couldn't help it, though.  I ordered a Xiang Sheng 802b to see what they sound like with a pre that is up to the task of delivering the 9v input gain.  Just to see what the outer limits are.  Maybe open up my sliders and have a block party when it gets here :D 

Edited by GriffinFL

On 5/14/2021 at 4:26 PM, Audible Nectar said:

Lookin' like Reservoir Dogs in here.......getting the old gang back together again 🙂

Still alive of course and down a tooth today, LOL.....

I can't lose teeth anymore..........................well except maybe Dentures but I would have to have those to lose them.😒

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...