Klipschhorn vs. Jubilee Video.

Shiva

1 hour ago, soundbound said:

I’ve heard some good speakers and comparisons on YouTube. I struggled to hear them in this video which is unfortunate, because I would have enjoyed hearing a good comparison. 

Sort of defeats the purpose of a video with low to no sound about speakers.

• Like 1

I rarely hear what I would even call remotely acceptable sound from Youtube videos of loudspeakers.  Maybe the best I've heard is from Ron of New Record Day, when he has used the Neuman dummy head.  Then you have to listen with headphones.  I guess it is a binaural recording but not absolutely sure.  Most speaker recordings are pretty much worthless, IMO.

As for the actual Jubilee vs K-horn aspect,  I've never heard Jubes, so I can't really comment.  I did see the PHT video a few nights ago.  I've still never heard Jubes.  ...but I do enjoy the videos they make.  I think I've seen them all.

• Like 1

So,  for those interested,  as he responded to my question of "how are you recording your vids."   They are recorded with little lapel mikes that are attached to ones clothing.  No wonder the sound is pretty bad.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Shiva said:

They are recorded with little lapel mikes that are attached to ones clothing

Cory/Jason/Trey needs to invest in something like this at the listening position:

Blumlein_-Stereo.png

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

They are recorded with little lapel mikes that are attached to ones clothing.  No wonder the sound is pretty bad.    

EDIT --I am sure the next audiovideo  will be better than the last 2 -  

I look at it this way....  (and obviously I wasn't there in the beginning)

But...."in the beginning" PWK designed the Khorn with how many years of experience building horns?  My guess is zero.  Made something pretty cool and it developed into a nice company.

50 years later he (and Roy) set out to essentially re-create the Khorn as per his original thoughts... a 2-way speaker.  However, THIS time he's been noodling around with speakers & horns for several years....  and has some tricks he's learned along the way up his sleeve.

Having heard both, it's no surprise to me that the Jubilee might (does) outperform the Khorn.

• Like 4

I watched this video and liked it. I am enjoying their videos very much. They figured out a way to legally play and record music for a YouTube video and I give them credit for that. I don't expect the audio to be very good at all. That goes for all YouTube speaker review videos. The video is more for the impressions of the listener(s) in the video. There are several YouTube reviewers that just talk about the speakers without actually playing audio through them, and they are respected for it. There is one reviewer in particular that will talk about the product he is reviewing for about 2-3 minutes out of his 10ish minute video, and somehow he is respected for this! 

I agree that you can tell the Jubilee beat out the Khorn in the video. The video may not sound like my phone in my living room, but I get the idea. It definitely makes me want Jubilees. Now just need to keep trying to convince the wife.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:13 AM, Chris A said:

Cory/Jason/Trey needs to invest in something like this at the listening position:

What I need to do is quit trying to appease people who are trying to audition nearly 4' wide 250 pound speakers on a YouTube video on their computer or phone.  I find it silly myself.  It keeps snowballing.  Even with a perfect setup the only thing you will be able to manage to pull off is showing the basic frequency response and not much else, and even that is largely being affected by the room and speaker placement. 

At this point I'm pulling the plug on such things for nicer speakers.  We just got some Perlisten S7t's in, just not even going there. If you want to know the frequency response without the room being a factor then look at a chart.  Jason has ordered a nicer microphone setup but at this point I've lost interest and won't be doing it on more expensive speakers.  

Thanks to everybody for overanalyzing it.  Just non-stop trying to defend what was recorded every time one of these gets published.  Gets kinda old.  If you guys can do better, well, do it.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I agree that you can tell the Jubilee beat out the Khorn in the video. 

What I think happened with the bass is that for whatever reason there is a suckout in the middle of the room with the K-horns due to strange room geometry, yet the Jubilees were more towards the middle of the room and were more directional, and the microphone seems to have exaggerated the differences for some reason.  When playing them in person there wasn't really the shocking difference in bass that it sounds like in the video.  I've got the K-horns sounding pretty good nowadays, and I thought the Jubilees sounded a little thin that day as they were not corner loaded or boosted.  To be honest I have no idea why the end result was the total opposite with the Jubilees sounding tubby and the K-horns sounding anemic, both to the extreme sometimes.  

2 hours ago, jdmccall said:

I wonder what it actually costs to build a pair of Jubilees in material and labor.  I would guess less than 5K.  Maybe considerably less.

Considering plywood is like $65 + a sheet right now I bet it's more than you'd think. ;)  

As with any product, manufacturing cost alone isn't really what you're paying for, otherwise you'd be buying new Nike AirMax shoes for $5 or something.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I watched this video and liked it. I am enjoying their videos very much. They figured out a way to legally play and record music for a YouTube video and I give them credit for that.

Thanks.  Yeah that's a significant issue.  Some channels just try to record normal well known audiophile type tracks but it's a blatant disregard for licensing and it puts their channel at risk of getting shut down.  I have no interest in that, everything that plays in our videos has a proper licensing agreement.  We even used original music from well known Klipsch guy Matt Sommers plus other material that former Klipsch tech support guy Matt Whatley produced, which is who Roy's son worked with for awhile in his studio.  Thought a few people might appreciate such things at least.  

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:08 AM, Shiva said:

So,  for those interested,  as he responded to my question of "how are you recording your vids."   They are recorded with little lapel mikes that are attached to ones clothing.  No wonder the sound is pretty bad.    

dudes on youtube: we want speaker comparisons.

us: ok, we'll do a review and tell you all about it

dudes: no not like that. we want to know what you're playing.

us: ok, we'll give you a big list of everything we're playing so you can try for yourself.

dudes: no not like that. we want to know when you're playing which speaker.

us: ok, we'll give you a list of what's playing when.

dudes: no not like that. We want to actually hear them.

us: wellllll.... you're largely hearing what the room sounds like, on a cheap cell phone speaker, and we're not big fans of enabling that because it's somewhat intellectually dishonest and may inadvertently sway your decision to something that isn't fully truthful. But ok we'll play some of the music so it's not awkward.

dudes: no not like that. we want to hear the differences and know exactly what speaker is playing when you switch them.

us: ok but there are licensing issues with big bands, so we're going to get some super cool local Indianapolis bands to give us a licensing agreement, then we will fully play this music and document exactly what speaker is playing and you can see what band is playing and maybe you might find something new and the bands will get some much need exposure and we don't get sued or have our channel dropped and everybody is happy, cool?

dudes: no not like that.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3