Do you do bottled water?

Coytee

As a practical matter, I don't and never have.

Where I live, I'm on a well and frankly, it tastes pretty good.  Every now & then I'll get a tinge of something in it....or a faint odor...  None the less, out of the ground and through a filter, it's pretty good.

When I was growing up, one thing that I noticed was that the water in the town was good.  You didn't really notice this until you went somewhere else.....  seemed anywhere else.....seemed that EVERYWHERE else you went, the water didn't taste as good.  This isn't an old fogie having fond memories of his childhood....  these were actual comments that you'd make or hear others make.  There was always a nice feeling about getting home and having a good drink of water.

In college years, I went to Colorado.  I don't recall if this was in Aspen or Snowmass....  but I distinctly recall going to dinner....  chugging down a big glass of water and stopping in my tracks saying to the company that this water was as good as home!!!

Couple years ago, I went back to hometown for a reunion.  During the reunion, the gal that organized it made sure to tell those that came in from out of town that she had a cooler full of Hamilton Bottled Water.  She said something about it being award winning.  I hadn't really thought about it....but made sure to go grab one and indeed, it tasted good.  I grabbed a couple more bottles to bring home with me.

I was back there a different time and wanted to find the bottled water and let's just say that it was a total fail.  Being the ever curious and persistent type....  I dug into it a bit more and viola!!!  I found where they do have some awards (who on earth has water tasting competitions???)  Maybe it was a group of municipalities who all wanted to give each other badges so they could advertise...  I don't know.

None the less, found out that for essentially $15/case (1-case being 24, 16oz bottles) I could have some delivered to me.  I jumped on it and ordered three cases yesterday.  I'm going to replace the water the wife uses in her fancy schmancy Jura coffee maker to see if she notices anything.

If you like bottled water but don't care for the various tastes that are in that water....  I'm here to tell you that you've blown $15 on much more irrelevant items....  I personally can't wait to get this.

I don't recall the gals name, but I called 513-785-7428 to order some and spoke with a nice gal who splits her work time between this and another (physical) location.  I had tried twice before and got her answering machine.

I was tickled to get some ordered....  and read the (bold) part below and thought that was interesting so thought I'd share this.  For full disclosure, I just now did a google search on Knoxville Bottled Water and see a reference that East Tennessee water was once voted best in world.... (I just love those grandiose prizes....  does that mean that water from the Swiss mountains sucks?? Does it really have to be the world?)

Interestingly, growing up, Cincinnati water always sucked....and below says they draw from the same source.  That's perplexing.

Hamilton's “Best in the World” Tap Water Good For Business

By Rod Hissong Ohio

PUBLISHED 1:50 PM ET Jun. 12, 2019

HAMILTON, Ohio – There is something in the water in Hamilton.

Hamilton's tap water is a multiple award winner at the Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting competition

Chlorine dioxide is used at the end of the treatment process to remove the smell and taste of chlorine

Hamilton on Tap is the bottled version of the water

Specifically, it's chlorine dioxide – a mixture of chlorine gas and sodium chlorite.

A complex process that's added to the tap water at Hamilton's Water Treatment Plant on River Road in Fairfield.

Drawing water from the massive Great Miami Buried Valley Aquifer the tap water that the city of Hamilton produces is multi-award winning. Since 2009, it's been named best in the world and best in the U.S. on multiple occasions at the annual Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting competition.

It's also been named best in the state multiple times by the Ohio chapter of the American Water Works Association.

“When you compete with the best of the best, you know, and you win it really says something about your water system,” said John Bui, Hamilton Water Production Superintendent.

The process of adding chlorine dioxide is not a secret, or uncommon. But getting the mix of chlorine gas and sodium chlorite just right takes knowledge and analytics expertise.

“It's a more sophisticated disinfectant system that requires a lot of knowledge to manage the generator that produces chlorine dioxide.”

Chlorine dioxide cannot be purchased and transported on public roads, so the components have to made on site. The process helps eliminate the smell and taste of chlorine in the water, a common complaint about city water across the U.S.

Hamilton's water treatment plant can produce 40 million gallons of water per day. On average, it produces about 16 million gallons – eight for the city and eight for eastern Butler County. By 2026, according to Bui, all of Butler County will purchase its water from Hamilton. The additional service will push the plants daily output to between 24 and 26 million gallons per day.

Bui says the aquifer the plant sits above is a gold mine for water. Fairfield and the city of Cincinnati also have treatment plants that draw water from the aquifer.

The high-quality H20 is also good for business. Municipal Brew Works in downtown Hamilton is in its third year of operation. At capacity, head brewer and MBW co-founder Sean Willingham said expansion is in the near future, but only if they can use Hamilton's water.

“We're looking at doing a production facility, but it has to be on this water source,” Willingham told Spectrum News 1. “I want this water for my beer.”

Willingham said a lot of brewers have to use a process with their water source known as reverse osmosis. They also, sometimes, have to add salt to their beer to get the balance to make a solid product. But MBW doesn't have to do that.

He also said using any other water source would change the taste of his beer.

In 1991, MillerCoors opened a brewery in Trenton in eastern Butler County. The facility employs around 500 people and produces approximately 11 million barrels of a beer per year, according to the company's website. MillerCoors uses water from the Great Miami Buried Valley Aquifer - the same aquifer Hamilton pulls water from. 

Hamilton also bottles some of its tap water. Bui said last year the plant bottled 120,000 bottles. Some of its is sold to local hospitals, and used for special events, like weddings. The manual process is labor-intensive so the city doesn't use it as a major revenue source. Recently, 100 cases of Hamilton tap water were sent to tornado victims in Dayton.

Hamilton On Tap, the name affectionately given to the bottled water, has been sent to disaster areas all over the world, according to Bui.

Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting

2018 - 2nd place for Best Municipal Water

2018 - 5th for Best Purified Water (Hamilton On Tap)

2018 - 3rd Place for People's Choice for Best Purified Water (Hamilton On Tap)

2017 - 3rd place for Best Municipal Water

2015 - 1st place for Best Municipal Water

2014 - 2nd place for Best Municipal Water

2013 - 5th place for Best Purified Water (Hamilton On Tap)

2010 – Best in the World for Best Municipal Water

2009 – Best in the United States for Municipal Water

Several other Ohio cities have also won awards in the West Virginia-based Berkeley Springs competition, including: Montpelier, Kent, St. Henry, Sandusky, and Willoughby.

Hamilton's “Best in the World” Tap Water Good For Business

By Rod Hissong Ohio

• Hamilton's tap water is a multiple award winner at the Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting competition
  • Chlorine dioxide is used at the end of the treatment process to remove the smell and taste of chlorine
  • Hamilton on Tap is the bottled version of the water

Specifically, it's chlorine dioxide – a mixture of chlorine gas and sodium chlorite.

A complex process that's added to the tap water at Hamilton's Water Treatment Plant on River Road in Fairfield.

Drawing water from the massive Great Miami Buried Valley Aquifer the tap water that the city of Hamilton produces is multi-award winning. Since 2009, it's been named best in the world and best in the U.S. on multiple occasions at the annual Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting competition.

It's also been named best in the state multiple times by the Ohio chapter of the American Water Works Association.

“When you compete with the best of the best, you know, and you win it really says something about your water system,” said John Bui, Hamilton Water Production Superintendent.

The process of adding chlorine dioxide is not a secret, or uncommon. But getting the mix of chlorine gas and sodium chlorite just right takes knowledge and analytics expertise.

“It's a more sophisticated disinfectant system that requires a lot of knowledge to manage the generator that produces chlorine dioxide.”

Chlorine dioxide cannot be purchased and transported on public roads, so the components have to made on site. The process helps eliminate the smell and taste of chlorine in the water, a common complaint about city water across the U.S.

Hamilton's water treatment plant can produce 40 million gallons of water per day. On average, it produces about 16 million gallons – eight for the city and eight for eastern Butler County. By 2026, according to Bui, all of Butler County will purchase its water from Hamilton. The additional service will push the plants daily output to between 24 and 26 million gallons per day.

Bui says the aquifer the plant sits above is a gold mine for water. Fairfield and the city of Cincinnati also have treatment plants that draw water from the aquifer.

The high-quality H20 is also good for business. Municipal Brew Works in downtown Hamilton is in its third year of operation. At capacity, head brewer and MBW co-founder Sean Willingham said expansion is in the near future, but only if they can use Hamilton's water.

“We're looking at doing a production facility, but it has to be on this water source,” Willingham told Spectrum News 1. “I want this water for my beer.”

Willingham said a lot of brewers have to use a process with their water source known as reverse osmosis. They also, sometimes, have to add salt to their beer to get the balance to make a solid product. But MBW doesn't have to do that.

In 1991, MillerCoors opened a brewery in Trenton in eastern Butler County. The facility employs around 500 people and produces approximately 11 million barrels of a beer per year, according to the company's website. MillerCoors uses water from the Great Miami Buried Valley Aquifer - the same aquifer Hamilton pulls water from. 

Hamilton also bottles some of its tap water. Bui said last year the plant bottled 120,000 bottles. Some of its is sold to local hospitals, and used for special events, like weddings. The manual process is labor-intensive so the city doesn't use it as a major revenue source. Recently, 100 cases of Hamilton tap water were sent to tornado victims in Dayton.

Hamilton On Tap, the name affectionately given to the bottled water, has been sent to disaster areas all over the world, according to Bui.

Several other Ohio cities have also won awards in the West Virginia-based Berkeley Springs competition, including: Montpelier, Kent, St. Henry, Sandusky, and Willoughby.

I never drink bottled water for a couple reasons.  First, I have an issue paying for water when I already pay for it at home.  We have an RO filter and that totally eliminates the need to purchase water.  At work I use the fountain and it's not bad at all.  Another large issue I have with bottled water is the enormous amount of plastic waste it produces.  I don't have the exact tonnage figure to give you but I recall an article about it and it was staggering.  That's the same reason I'll never own a Keurig.

On a side note Richard, have you seen extended delays in getting your tax returns this year when submitted electronically? 

• Like 3

Regarding taxes....  this year we owed a bit (darn those stocks that went up and were sold!!)

So for me there was no refund, no delay.....  did my taxes, sent in a payment and was done.

Now, if you are meaning a delay with regard to the stimulus checks.....yes.  Those seemed different.  The first round came (for my wife and myself) deposited into my bank.  Got them pretty quick.  The second round did seem to take forever and that was a paper check that was mailed to me verses electronically deposited.

Regarding water bottles.....I totally get that too.  We recycle what paper, plastics, metals we can.

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

Regarding taxes....  this year we owed a bit (darn those stocks that went up and were sold!!)

So for me there was no refund, no delay.....  did my taxes, sent in a payment and was done.

I'm talking about tax refunds.  We submitted ours electronically in March, got a confirmation that they received it then nothing.  There's no one you can call to check on it either.

considering most bottled water is filtered tap water... no, I do not drink bottled water....especially at a dollar a pop for a quart [pint?]...I'm a cheap bastard

Our water has a high mineral content, but, tastes OK.

Most everyone in Tucson uses bottled....since they try to "blend" ColoradoRiver "water"/mud into the groundwater. Yeah... the tap water up there IS nasty.

Some of the worst water I have run into was in St.Petersburg FL... sulfur and LOTS of chlorine Delicious stuff

----------------------------------

since RockyMt spring water was brought up...

When I/we were in IdahoSprings CO, every one of us got Uncles Sam's Revenge. So much for the purity issue

-------------------------------------

on a side note ---

If you carry your own coffee beans when traveling, the coffee made from local water changes.  I always look forward to getting home, so my coffee tastes "right".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't have the exact tonnage figure to give you but I recall an article about it and it was staggering.  That's the same reason I'll never own a Keurig.

I too avoid generating plastic where possible

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

On a side note Richard, have you seen extended delays in getting your tax returns this year when submitted electronically? 

No delays in tax processing, actually creepy fast, and mine were complicated

In college years, I went to Colorado.  I don't recall if this was in Aspen or Snowmass....  but I distinctly recall going to dinner....  chugging down a big glass of water and stopping in my tracks saying to the company that this water was as good as home!!!

Water always tasted good in CO

East Tennessee water was once voted best in world.... (I just love those grandiose prizes....  does that mean that water from the Swiss mountains sucks?? Does it really have to be the world?)

Water originating from mountain spring is generally good to excellent, but not uniform in mineral composition

Some rivers are completely devoid of certain minerals making them ideal for beer.

Interestingly, growing up, Cincinnati water always sucked....and below says they draw from the same source.  That's perplexing.

Ohio river water ?

So they treat the water for micro organisms, then get the chlorine out...

Years ago a friend installed and service water filter tech developed for hospitals which need lots of clean water.

Apparently the brewers heard about the Tech, and brewers and distillers, became the biggest customers overnight.

Might have been industrial scale reverse osmosis vs distilled.

Small differences make a huge difference in the fermentation process.

By Rod Hissong Ohio

• Hamilton's tap water is a multiple award winner at the Berkeley Springs International Water Tasting competition
  • Chlorine dioxide is used at the end of the treatment process to remove the smell and taste of chlorine
  • Hamilton on Tap is the bottled version of the water

Bottled water?  Camping and hiking?  A bladder works better than toting bottles for a morning or afternoon hike in a National Park or other places.  The costs in Nat'l Parks just for trash is insane.  Plastic water bottles?  Think about it.

Nestle's will never get another dime from me for anything they have branded.  Yes, even choccy chips and candy bars.  They owe the United States & individual states millions for spring water they've "stolen" since their contracts ran out.  Yup, drag it thru the courts forever and continue to make millions from those buying it.  The American way I guess.  Just my .02 worth.  Bottoms up!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/29/the-fight-over-water-how-nestle-dries-up-us-creeks-to-sell-water-in-plastic-bottles

• Like 3

The only bottled water I purchase as a brand is Fiji

The high silica content has the benefit of bonding with Aluminum, a neurotoxin, in the body.

Allowing your body to eliminate the aluminum via the kidneys.

I read years ago that Alzheimer brains are loaded with aluminum.

An added benefit is that Fiji tastes good.

Long ago George Carlin said that he couldn't believe that people would pay so much for Evian water until he read the name backwards.

The tap water here stinks; we use an RO filter. When it looks like rain they put extra chlorine and ammonia in the tap water. Almost all of it is surface water now, the wells caused subsidence and flooding. The well water pH was 8 or so, now it is 7.

New York City had great water for decades; giant pipes brought it from the mountains. Be thankful if you have good water, it isn't that common.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Bottled water?  Camping and hiking a bladder works better than toting bottles for a morning or afternoon hike in a National Park or other places.  The costs in Nat'l Parks just for trash is insane.  Plastic water bottles?  Think about it.

Nestle's will never get another dime from me for anything they have branded.  Yes, even choccy chips and candy bars.  They owe the United States & individual states millions for spring water they've "stolen" since their contracts ran out.  Yup, drag it thru the courts forever and continue to make millions from those buying it.  The American way I guess.  Just my .02 worth.  Bottoms up!

https://naturalsociety.com/nestle-subsidiary-tries-sell-small-town-water-residents-fight-back/

This is all over the US as Water sources are "privatized"

Conservationists say some creek beds in the area are now bone dry and once-gushing springs have been reduced to mere trickles. The Forest Service recently determined Nestlé’s activities left Strawberry Creek “impaired” while “the current water extraction is drying up surface water resources”.

Nestlé plan to take 1.1m gallons of water a day from natural springs sparks outcry

Read more

Meanwhile, the state is investigating whether Nestlé is illegally drawing from Strawberry Creek and in 2017 advised it to “immediately cease any unauthorized diversions”. Still, a year later, the Forest Service approved a new five-year permit that allows Nestlé to continue using federal land to extract water, a decision critics say defies common sense.

Strawberry Creek is emblematic of the intense, complex water fights playing out around the nation between Nestlé, grassroots opposition, and government officials. At stake is control of the nation’s freshwater supply and billions in profits as Nestlé bottles America’s water then sells it back in plastic bottles. Those in opposition, such as Amanda Frye, an author and nutritionist, increasingly view Nestlé as a corporate villain motivated by “greed”.

“These are people who just want to make money, but they’ve already dried up the upper Strawberry Creek and they’ve done a lot of damage,” she said. “They’re a foreign corporation taking our natural resources, which makes it even worse.”

Critics characterize Nestlé as a “predatory” water company that targets struggling communities with sometimes exaggerated job promises while employing a variety of cheap strategies, like donating to local boy scouts, to win over small town officials who hold the keys to valuable springs.

Its spending on lobbying and campaign contributions at the federal and state levels totals in the millions annually, the revolving door between the company and government perpetually turns, and it maintains cozy relationships with federal officials from the Forest Service

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/29/the-fight-over-water-how-nestle-dries-up-us-creeks-to-sell-water-in-plastic-bottles

• Like 1

Nestle is having a battle as we speak in north central Florida. Heard public comments recently where citizens are not liking the amount they are taking or their attitude.

A week ago saw there was a cease and desist order in place.

• Like 1

We have a whole house filter that removes the chlorine and related compounds. It leaves the other minerals that keeps the pH near neutral. RO systems make water acidic.

So bottled water......only at social functions where it is being given out, I prefer water to soft drinks.