Ayon tubes amp reviews

mopardave

5 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

This aint no MADE IN CHINA --------cheap labour Primaluna

Ayon-Spirit-V-2-scaled-1-885x522.jpg

With good looks and all great reviews I am leaning toward getting the Ayon first. Being the more expense of the 2, probably should. I may not have the money next year for this kind of stuff.  

5 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I have found nothing bad about that amp.  Would be nice to have a listen before I throw that kind of money out there.    

Does the dealer/distributor have a 14/30 day return policy to allow an in home audition? Most do these days of audio internet sales where  brick and mortar store auditions are becoming harder to come by — 

• Like 1

A thing one might consider when buying an untried expensive piece of gear, is to see how well it does on the used market, just in case you want to send it on its way if you don't like it.  Or look for it used.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Shiva said:

A thing one might consider when buying an untried expensive piece of gear, is to see how well it does on the used market, just in case you want to send it on its way if you don't like it.  Or look for it used.

Have not seen any Ayon spirit v for sale used. Might be an indication to how good it is.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Does the dealer/distributor have a 14/30 day return policy to allow an in home audition? Most do these days of audio internet sales where  brick and mortar store auditions are becoming harder to come by — 

I don’t know, but I am across the country from Arizona.

The field of tube amps at or below $5k must number in the hundreds.  It would be difficult to convince me to let go of that kind of spare change on a particular piece if I couldn't find a single person on the planet who owns one.  But I may be using a different set of criteria to make my buying decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2021 at 12:22 PM, Thomas Aronsohn said:

I have owned the prima luna dialogue power amp, and last week purchased the Evo 300, go with the evo 300, then buy a quad of Sophia Electric EL34st tubes. They are not cheep, but will make any push-pull amp sound like a single ended, but with more power.

That’s a good piece of info, thanks.  Are those tubes the blue ones?

I went to USA Tube Audio yesterday to talk to them about the soon to be released Scorpio II but determined it would be slightly under powered for my speakers. No used equipment or trade-ins available so I looked at the Spirit V PA (which I'm being told would provided better performance than the Spirit V Integrated (20 to 25% better performance?). The amp sounds and looks great but no dealing on the price due to limited availability (chip/semiconductor shortage). At $5,995 the price is steep, I'm comfortable in the $3,000 range, maybe up to $4,000 but $6,000 is hard to justify (but if I did buy the Ayon I probably would still be listening to the same great sound amp for 20+ years), still trying to decide.

3 hours ago, PHX1KAH said:

I went to USA Tube Audio yesterday to talk to them about the soon to be released Scorpio II but determined it would be slightly under powered for my speakers. No used equipment or trade-ins available so I looked at the Spirit V PA (which I'm being told would provided better performance than the Spirit V Integrated (20 to 25% better performance?). The amp sounds and looks great but no dealing on the price due to limited availability (chip/semiconductor shortage). At $5,995 the price is steep, I'm comfortable in the $3,000 range, maybe up to $4,000 but $6,000 is hard to justify (but if I did buy the Ayon I probably would still be listening to the same great sound amp for 20+ years), still trying to decide.

Me too. Which speakers are you going to drive with the Ayon PA?      I guess i cant call my cornscala a cornscala any more because it does not have the LaScala mid horn, so my similar cornscalas i'm not sure what they need to drive them.  DE85,DE120 at 8ohm and 3015lf@4 ohm.  I'll have to take a look at the spirit PA.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:26 PM, Fido said:

I know Primaluna is made in China but the build quality is fantastic. The Ayons look to have impeccable build quality and are quite beautiful. I am sure they sound stellar.

I wish I could own many different types of audio gear.. Decware looks fantastic as does the Inspire Line by Dennis Haddand the line Magnetic amps look interesting, too and some of the Mac gear is probably as good as it gets!

The biggest problem with Made in China is counterfeit parts

and substandard parts.

The assembly houses are famous for substituting the parts

for inferior and counterfeit parts.

One foreign electronics company would import their parts in sealed containers

Assemble them in their China shop

then load the finished goods into sealed containers for export

with lots of their own citizens watching everything on site.

18 hours ago, mopardave said:

Me too. Which speakers are you going to drive with the Ayon PA?      I guess i cant call my cornscala a cornscala any more because it does not have the LaScala mid horn, so my similar cornscalas i'm not sure what they need to drive them.  DE85,DE120 at 8ohm and 3015lf@4 ohm.  I'll have to take a look at the spirit PA.

I have Dynaudio C4's which need more power compared to my Heresy's.  If I buy the PA then I would use my Mcintosh C28 as the pre-amp until I swap it out ..... I was hoping to keep my older system complete but if the Spirit PA gives better performance then I would go that route as opposed to getting the Spirit Integrated amp.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:19 PM, RandyH000 said:

Hey dont kid youself , this aint no regular tube amp , they've got circuits to eliminate the regular Bias adjustments , so ......SS and tubes -a hybrid -

Ayon guts.jpg

Yeah that looks special alright.... a brief peak gives me a chronic headache..

• Like 1

mopardave - I decided to go another route and am seriously considering a  Hegel H190 Integrated Amplifier and a Bluesound Node 2I.  I talked with a local Dynaudio dealer and he highly recommended the Hegel to pair with my C4 speakers, plus the cost of the amp/node/cables is much more reasonable then the Ayon. The Ayon will still be on my future list at they sound and look incredible. (FYI the picture posted of the Ayon wiring is from a 2013 review of a Spirit III). 

Edited by PHX1KAH