Ayon tubes amp reviews

mopardave

4 hours ago, PHX1KAH said:

mopardave - I decided to go another route and am seriously considering a  Hegel H190 Integrated Amplifier and a Bluesound Node 2I.  I talked with a local Dynaudio dealer and he highly recommended the Hegel to pair with my C4 speakers, plus the cost of the amp/node/cables is much more reasonable then the Ayon. The Ayon will still be on my future list at they sound and look incredible. (FYI the picture posted of the Ayon wiring is from a 2013 review of a Spirit III). 

Searching for new amps is very fun and exciting. I have heard great reviews on the Hegel H190. Enjoy your new Hegel. I use my Bluesound Node 2i connected to a Denefrips Pontus R2R DAC to stream Amazon HD and Spotify and I think the combo is great.

15 minutes ago, Fido said:

Searching for new amps is very fun and exciting. I have heard great reviews on the Hegel H190. Enjoy your new Hegel. I use my Bluesound Node 2i connected to a Denefrips Pontus R2R DAC to stream Amazon HD and Spotify and I think the combo is great.

“searching for new amps is very fun and exciting” — and expensive 

1 hour ago, richieb said:

“searching for new amps is very fun and exciting” — and expensive 

Can be expensive but I know I have more than recouped my audio investments from the years of enjoyment I have received listening to all those hours of beautiful music.

46 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

did you audition a Primaluna 400---  ,if , yes   how do you rate the Ayon Spirit III , versus the Primaluna

No I did not get to see/audition the Primaluna 300 or 400, I researched them and they look very good but I decided to move away from tubes (for the moment).  

22 hours ago, PHX1KAH said:

No I did not get to see/audition the Primaluna 300 or 400, I researched them and they look very good but I decided to move away from tubes (for the moment).  

Pretty sure the Ayon V will be the amp for me.   Once the fall weather comes back around i will be doing much more listening and will get it ordered at that time, unless i find a good used one before then.

• 2 years later...

I have the PrimaLuna Evo 400, and Had the Ayon Triton 3 Gen 4.  Both great amps.  So lets narrow it down:

Sound:  Both sound great.  How much power do you need?  Spirit, Evo 400 same power, more or less.

LOOKS:  Very subjective.  As far as exterior finish, it's like the difference between glossy or satin paint.  Exterior wise, I personally Lien toward the Ayon Spirit.  Interior wise, based on the picture I see here of the Spirit's internals, and the picture of the Evo 400 internals on PrimaLuna's website, winner, PrimaLuna.  The Spirit's internals look sloppy compared to the well laid out Evo 400. 

TECHNOLOGY:  Both very advanced tube amps, but the PrimaLuna by far has the best autobias system.  Tube protection done by relays, no fuses need to be replaced if tube craps out.  Just turn amp off, remove tube, put new tube in and turn the amp back on.  Don't even need to match the tube.  Don't know about the Spirit, but biasing the Triton 3 Gen 4 required a few more steps, but it had pretty sophisticated protection circuitry. 

Flip of switch for low bias:  6L6, 6L6gc, El34, KT66, KT77; high bias: KT88s, KT90s, KT120s, KT150s ready for use in the PrimaLuna.  Spirit, KT88s, KT 90s, KT120s, KT150s.  Pretty much that's it. 

As far as other advanced features, they both have a plethora of them.  You can pretty much check that out on their respective website, of which, PrimaLuna's get the nod there. 

Some other notes about technology:  Balanced Audio Technology (BAT) pretty much now uses protection circuitry like the PrimaLuna's on their current REX tube amps which sell for new somewhere in the area of $30,000.00.  BAT was one of the frist amps companies to use auto biasing, but until at least the 56se, 60se, 75se, they used fuses which had to be replaced if one blew because a tube went bad;  Audio Research's VT80, 80se, which I think is the only Audio Research tube amp (I could be wrong here) that has auto biasing, still uses fuses for tube protection.  If a fuse blows it must be manually replaced.

So bottom line:  If someone reading this is looking for one of the two amps talked about in this thread, my recommendation:  If external looks is your most important criteria, for me it would be the Ayon.  In most other regards, though, it would be the PrimaLuna.  Never-the-less, I don't think you could go wrong with either of these amps.  More money might get you more power, but it won't get you better musical sound.  And how much power do you need?  It really can be a fool's errand sometimes. 

Old timer who was partners in a highend, preowned audio store for many years, and pretty much has heard hundreds of amps, speakers, tuners, you name it audio, that was current up until about 2007; now buy and selling for my own pleasure.

Thanks for the reply.   I could not get myself to spend that kind of money on an amp, so i decided to purchase a 300b Willsenton.  Been doing some modding/hotrodding to it with a change in the power supply, changed out some caps for better Mundorf's and now thinking about new OPT, maybe Hashimotos.   For a 1500 dollar 300b, it sounds very nice.  I really enjoy the tinkering with these tube amps.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 8:19 PM, OO1 said:

Hey dont kid youself , this aint no regular tube amp , they've got circuits to eliminate the regular Bias adjustments , so ......SS and tubes -a hybrid -

Ayon guts.jpg

This picture even makes me sicker than the description..... total garbage that is bound to cause it to be thrown away within about 10 years... 

2 hours ago, NOSValves said:

This picture even makes me sicker than the description..... total garbage that is bound to cause it to be thrown away within about 10 years... 

Not the same amp, but i get it.   I have the Willsenton 300b.   It would be nice to have a high end $7000 amp to compare. This thing sounds very nice across the CornScala. Using GL 300b, Sophia Electric 274b with NOS 6sl7 and 6sn7gt pre's.