Info on my vert CW’s

mowntnbkr

I have a pair of vertical cornwalls, serial # CWO15 and CWO 16 or 14( it’s against the wall).  It still has the original brochure stapled  on the back.  Can you tell me anything about them.  Thanks

They are designed to lay on their side. High frequency dispersion is compromised if left vertical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The logbook defines "Vertical" as the standard orientation.  The riser would be on a short side.  "Horizontal" is defined as having the riser on a log side.

Serial numbers began with #101.  Assuming these are 114, 115, and/or 116, the log entries are attached.

CW114 001.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JRH said:

The logbook defines "Vertical" as the standard orientation.  The riser would be on a short side.  "Horizontal" is defined as having the riser on a log side.

Serial numbers began with #101.  Assuming these are 114, 115, and/or 116, the log entries are attached.

CW114 001.jpg

JRH, I just have to know the story on this logbook!  If you've told the story already, please point me to the tale.  Is this in PWK's hand?

I have a pair of '73 Vertical Cornwalls also (love them, classic Klipsch Heritage sound).

The CWO15 stands for Cornwall with a walnut oil finish with a 15" woofer (both should be the same).  The serial numbers mean that they were the 2384th and 2385th units produced to that point and built in 1973.  Vertical means that the long axis of the tweeter and midrange horns are mounted in a vertical orientation when the speakers are placed on the short side.

These were designed so they could be placed on the short or long side depending on the users space requirements. This is also why the they were made in mirrored pairs with the drivers offset from center. There is some debate as to which position sounds better, but I personally don"t think the difference is very much either way.  Mine sit on the short side on factory risers.  If they are original they should have K-77 tweeters, K-55 midranges, K-33 woofers and type B crossovers.

If they still sound good your drivers should be OK, but being 48 years old you may want to consider replacing the capacitors on the crossovers (2 on each crossover).

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

I don't believe "the story" of any of the logbooks has been told.  The first Klipschorn logbook (including Rebels and turntables!) has PWK's hand all over it.  Other early logbooks have his hand occasionally.  Most early entries were done by his first few employees, such as Lloyd McClellan, Portus Gilley, and John Jones.  A few others may be sprinkled in there.  This Cornwall logbook is NOT in PWK's hand. 

Up until the early 80's handwritten logbooks documented serial numbers with components used and where they were shipped.  Entry was by many shipping personnel over the years.  The advent of computers made physical logbooks extinct, with subsequent records lost.  KHMA has most of the logbooks, but not all.  Several of the Klipschorn books (1964 - 1975) disappeared decades ago.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1