K402 impressions

VDS

Recieved 402’s today for MEH project, but you gotta hear them right away, right? Disconnected the 4592 mids and hooked up K691’s to just hear these horns.  Expectation/confirmation bias has to really be controlled due to all the hype these horns get.  They quite a piece of gear though!  

The only way to accurately describe it is that they get you closer to the sound of headphones.  More intimate? More enveloping? More present? More dynamic? 
I’m it’s me most “sensorial” experience I’ve had with these Cornwalls, (all that’s left of the Cornwalls is the cabinet and grills at this point)

im a little embarrassed I spent this much money on horns, and I know they are out of a lot of people’s reach, but I just wanted to confirm that if you are wondering if they “really” make a difference...they did for my system.

Now to turn them into MEH...

752D9C36-8C33-45DF-9FD3-8F1B6941E724.jpeg

• Like 2

I hope it doesn’t seem like I’m showing off.  I feel kind of vain with this post. I just want to give a little more info to people contemplating the purchase of 402’s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Emile said:

Show off :)  Some of us only have little K-510's :( 

He bought them to chop them up -----into this  Danley  style horn  enclosure --using a k402

post-26262-0-92940000-1452450997.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

He bought them to chop them up -----into this  Danley  style horn  enclosure --using a k402

Hmmm.....so, that would be similar to ordering a perfectly cooked piece of steak.....  and cutting it up into pieces?

Somehow, they both make sense!!

My fiancé thought the Cornwalls were big, lucking she’s pretty accepting.  I made dinner for her just to help smooth the transition.  Knowing the dimensions doesn’t really prepare you for how big these are inside your home!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Hmmm.....so, that would be similar to ordering a perfectly cooked piece of steak.....  and cutting it up into pieces?

Somehow, they both make sense!!

I’m putting faith in the same people that said 402’s sound great. Let’s hope the MEH reports are accurate ....I have faith they are

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VDS said:

I hope it doesn’t seem like I’m showing off.  I feel kind of vain with this post. I just want to give a little more info to people contemplating the purchase of 402’s.

Well, Mr. Vain Showoff.....  I personally don't think you should feel/think that way.  True, only a handful of non-vain, non-showoff people on this forum do NOT have K402's....  because everyone else that does....is a fellow vain showoff.

So, grab your showoff speaker....your showoff hole saw.....  your showoff drivers and showoff hardware (no doubt gold plated) and strut your stuff cause, you're in for a treat!

:emotion-21:

The real thing that I like about your comments is simply.....your comments.  Though there is a number of people that have owned/heard the 402's there is probably a much much larger number of people who've never heard them so having another convert is a good thing!

Take lots of pictures and be as vain as you can while you document your process!    Now that I've beaten it into the ground, you can drop it from your vocabulary.

• Like 1

VDS, Congratulations on you new arrivals.

If I may ask, and I am just snooping, where did you buy these from? If you would rather not say, that is fine. 

Congratulations again !  It seems a shame to take power tools to them, but I understand your goal. 

Good luck,

-Tom

4 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

VDS, Congratulations on you new arrivals.

If I may ask, and I am just snooping, where did you buy these from? If you would rather not say, that is fine. 

Congratulations again !  It seems a shame to take power tools to them, but I understand your goal. 

Good luck,

-Tom

Cory and Steven at Paducah Klipsch.  They were back ordered from Klipsch, but I only waited 2 weeks. I also found a cinema supply place that also sells them retail, (can’t remember the name).

On 5/12/2021 at 5:47 PM, VDS said:

My fiancé thought the Cornwalls were big, lucking she’s pretty accepting.  I made dinner for her just to help smooth the transition.  Knowing the dimensions doesn’t really prepare you for how big these are inside your home!

I know what you mean...

20200123_224516.jpg

• Haha 2

My wife does not like my k402 MEHs...so I made grills for them and now they are more acceptable to her. The other night she actually listened to them, and said they really sound good.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, NBPK402 said:

The other night she actually listened to them, and said they really sound good.

well , looks like Congratulations are in Order -------I have 1 question , how hard was it for you to poke holes in 2 K402 horns -