La Scala Line Array??

I found the LS flyer fascinating, as the intended purposes for the LS are listed as Theaters, Recording Studios, and audiophile home use. This does not even mention what we now consider  a conventional PA system.

Basically, I have 3x LS and was doing 3ch stereo and was needing to reorient the setup due to an internet issue, and was just looking at my options. I'm never adverse to trying something really different or questionable, like a line array or horizontal placement. I might try to use them as studio monitors, and interestingly, most nearfield studio monitors can be placed horizontally or vertically, but I realize that the LS is not a nearfield and the horns have different directionality than nearfield speakers. Basically just looking for some ideas how to set the 3x LS -- and I can always go back to 3ch. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Cathedral Guitar said:

I found the LS flyer fascinating, as the intended purposes for the LS are listed as Theaters, Recording Studios, and audiophile home use. This does not even mention what we now consider  a conventional PA system.

Basically, I have 3x LS and was doing 3ch stereo and was needing to reorient the setup due to an internet issue, and was just looking at my options. I'm never adverse to trying something really different or questionable, like a line array or horizontal placement. I might try to use them as studio monitors, and interestingly, most nearfield studio monitors can be placed horizontally or vertically, but I realize that the LS is not a nearfield and the horns have different directionality than nearfield speakers. Basically just looking for some ideas how to set the 3x LS -- and I can always go back to 3ch. 

Supposedly, the original purpose of the La Scala was for a politician’s travelling road show, thus the “compact” size.  For vocals and band music, the high low-end rolloff would not have been an issue, and for us in modern times, there are subwoofers to help out with the bottom octaves.

When you have 3x LS, the best arrangement is L-C-R La Scalas.  If you then would like a 5.1 or 5.2 system, you just need two more La Scalas for Left and Right Surround.  Alternatively, you could get just one more La Scala, and find yourself a Belle Klipsch for a Centre channel of a fine 5-channel system.  The Belle, being only 18” deep, makes a better TV stand, if that’s a factor in your living room, and it blends well with La Scalas.  That’s the combo that I’m using, and it really sounds right.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 3:07 PM, Marvel said:

They weren't as attractive when horizontal, as it placed the woofer access hatch on either end (left/right).

Remember, they were originally built for PA. use, not the living room.

So you think that the looks of the woofer access doors were the issue with the 447 La Scala?  The plywood cabinets with the edge of the plywood showing, along with the visible holes where the nails were fired in with a power nailer, with the total result that they (the early ones like my 1974 models, anyway) look like I built them in my garage, following a design I saw in a magazine?  Those are bigger issues for me.  This in no way compares them to some of the masterpieces of woodworking that we’ve seen from some members.  My old Scalas don’t resemble them at all.

So yeah, “utility finish” is a pretty accurate descriptor.  For PA and other stage uses, like behind a movie screen, having readily accessible access doors would have been a useful feature, not something to grumble about, or something that would hurt sales numbers.  Instead, the old top-loader models require the removal of the lid of the cabinet, which is retained by about 20 long #2 Phillips screws, then you have to remove the squawker horn and the crossover, or you can just unscrew however many long #2 Phillips screws are holding down the lid of the doghouse and lift it off.  I haven’t done that particular job, so I don’t know if it’s better to remove the squawker and crossover first (to reduce the weight and bulk of the doghouse lid), or to just remove the lid very carefully.

The more modern bottom-loaders don’t require you to deal with the HF section and crossover, but instead you have to turn the speaker on its top or side.  In that case, if your work area floor is not carpeted, you should put down a carpet or a blanket, in order to protect that utility finish.

After that explanation, you can see why the improved looks of the LS2s were a big factor in my decision to replace the 1st-generation La Scalas.  Yes, the sound is definitely improved, and the increased bass volume gives the effect of deeper bass.  As well, they do look much better, with an actual furniture-grade finish.  The 1” MDF looks more right, too.  The whole package is more attractive.  The LS2s improve the looks of the living room, while the looks of the old Scalas really did not.  Some people like the blonde look of Birch, Raw, but I like the Black speakers because, over time, they seem to get smaller and smaller, becoming part of the room, so that without them it would not look (or sound) right.

Of course, it’s not like I could easily put my classic ‘74s up for sale and then wave good-bye to them.  I’d been using a pair of very nice Heresy IIs for Surround Left and Right.  They were fine, but La Scalas were finer.  Much finer.  After some furniture shifting, the ‘74s went behind the sofa, where I jacked them up onto platforms that are 13-1/2” inches tall.  This lets the HF sections of both speakers speak clearly over the backs of the sofa and armchair.  Perfect!

The Heresy IIs sat there disconnected for quite a while, then a Forum member from up-Island (Victoria’s at the southern tip of the Island, so anywhere on the Island North of here is up-Island) bought them, and now they’re making him very happy.  All’s well that ends well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Islander said:

After that explanation, you can see why the improved looks of the LS2s were a big factor in my decision to replace the 1st-generation La Scalas.

I like the looks of the newer ones, too! Don't get me wrong, even my '89 LS looked more refined than the early models, but it was a huge aesthetic jump when the LS2s came out.

When I borrowed a set of DJKs LS clones in the early '80s, they were done with separate bass bins and the horns and crossovers were on a board that sat on top. Utilitarian to the core!

• Like 1

So first time I ever heard LS actually was in nearfield placement, in 1976. A buddy of mine used a pair for his PA for his Singer/Songwriter solo act, and when not in use he stored them in his van -- connected to his car stereo!! We cruised up and down the strip with the LS blasting out Rumors, and Carry on My Wayward Son.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My surround La Scalas are each about 4 feet from me, because they can’t be close to the side walls, because of a baseboard heater on one side and a wood stove on the other side.  They sound really good, and if the volume is set low, with the AVR in 9 Channel Stereo, the Surround speakers sound a bit louder than the Main speakers.  The result is that they sound like big but wonderfully comfortable headphones.

Sometimes I listen like that for a while at the end of the day, before powering off the system and going to bed.  It makes me feel lucky.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cathedral Guitar said:

So first time I ever heard LS actually was in nearfield placement, in 1976. A buddy of mine used a pair for his PA for his Singer/Songwriter solo act, and when not in use he stored them in his van -- connected to his car stereo!! We cruised up and down the strip with the LS blasting out Rumors, and Carry on My Wayward Son.

Those were the days!  I saw Kansas live in Toronto sometime in the late Seventies, and it was a great show.

• Like 1

My Surround La Scalas are on 13-1/2” risers, so they can “speak” over the backs of the furniture.  As a result, when the sofa is fully reclined, the squawker horn is above my head.  My ear level is a bit below the top of the bass horn.  I find that works out well, whether the sofa is upright or fully reclined.

I’ve never been a believer in “the tweeter must be at ear level” thinking, because that gives the impression that the musicians are all sitting down, unlike the usual concert experience, where the musicians are standing on a stage, and you’re looking up at them.

• Like 1

This system has now been broken up, but I had a 2.1 "frankensystem" with Klipschorns, Belles, and a RSW115 sub in my music room.  

The room was a 36X22 ft playroom over a 3 car garage.  

The pair of oak Khorns were in the corner, pair of matching oak Belles as a center channel, placed tight on either side of a component rack, and the sub off to one side between the Belle and Klipschorn.  

I used a McIntosh C27 preamp.  It has a 2 stereo output channels, one for the Khorns, one for Belles, and a dedicated mono channel I used for the sub.

Mc275 and MC7270 biamped for the system.  

The Klipschorns were 36 feet apart, so something was needed for the center.  The system sounded great.   A real Phil Spector wall of sound effect.    

If you have a big room, you will need something to fill up the center of your listening area. 

And I do think a sub helps.  At lower listening levels, even the wall of sound sounded anemic.  

• Like 1