New to Klipsch, question about AVRs and separates

JerseyMike

Hi all. I am new to the Klipsch world and I am putting together a 5.1.4 system with the following:

Fronts:  RP-8000F

Center: RP-504C

Surrounds: RP-8000F

Atmos: RP-500SA

I was taking a hard look at the Anthem MRX 1140 to power the system.  However, I've received comments from some friends that say the amps on this AVR are not powerful enough and recommended I go the separates route (meaning more $$$).  Was curious if anyone is using this receiver to drive RP-8000F's and what their experience has been.  I'm open to suggestions as to what would be the best receiver or reasonable separates combo.   Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, JerseyMike said:

Hi all. I am new to the Klipsch world and I am putting together a 5.1.4 system with the following:

I I've received comments from some friends that say the amps on this AVR are not powerful enough

you'll be ok ---

@JerseyMike

Welcome to the Forum!

It looks like you'll be O.K. as far as the front speakers are concerned -- you will be able to get THX's 105 dB peaks through them, unless you are in a huge room, or sit very far away.

I really don't know, though, if by the time you add in surrounds and Atmos, it will be too demanding on your Anthem's power supply.  

You could buy with a return privilege, and crank 'em up with a couple of movies, and see if it will be enough. 

My guess is that it will be O.K.

@JerseyMike,

Welcome to the forum.

13 hours ago, JerseyMike said:

Very nice setup.

13 hours ago, JerseyMike said:

I was taking a hard look at the Anthem MRX 1140 to power the system.  However, I've received comments from some friends that say the amps on this AVR are not powerful enough and recommended I go the separates route (meaning more $$$). 

While I agree that separates are the "best" way to go for maximum performance, the Anthem MRX 1140 is a solid flagship AVR from a very highly praised manufacturer.  If it will meet your channel needs, I say get the MRX 740 and add a 2-channel or even better 3-channel amp later, if "needed".  The MRX 740 has basically the same internal components as the MRX 1140 but with only 7 sets of main speaker terminals.

Bill

One other consideration is your primary use case.  Will you be using this setup primarily for HT and/or multi-channel music and/or streaming?  Or will you be using it primarily for 2-channel audio with analog sources (turntable or external DAC) and occasionally HT?  If the former, then the MRX series is a great AVR - but maybe save some money by going with the 740 as mentioned above (it has pre-outs so you can add an external amp later if you want.)  If you are the latter, then there might be some better options.

4 hours ago, pbphoto said:

One other consideration is your primary use case.  Will you be using this setup primarily for HT and/or multi-channel music and/or streaming?  Or will you be using it primarily for 2-channel audio with analog sources (turntable or external DAC) and occasionally HT?  If the former, then the MRX series is a great AVR - but maybe save some money by going with the 740 as mentioned above (it has pre-outs so you can add an external amp later if you want.)  If you are the latter, then there might be some better options.

It will be HT and music (some multi-channel), about 50/50 split.

I looked at the 740 but it only drives 7 channels , and I need to drive 9 (hence the 1140).  One option I am considering is getting the 740 and an external amp to drive the RP-8000Fs and the RP-504C.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JerseyMike said:

It will be HT and music (some multi-channel), about 50/50 split.

I looked at the 740 but it only drives 7 channels , and I need to drive 9 (hence the 1140).  One option I am considering is getting the 740 and an external amp to drive the RP-8000Fs and the RP-504C.

Cool.  I looked long and hard at Anthem too.  Great gear.  If you do have analog sources that you want to keep analog, they took away this option in the MRX*40 series allowing this only on their AVM pre-amps.  In other words, all sources are digitized in the MRX*40 series which, combined with ARC, may not be a bad thing.  This may or may not be important to you but if it is, then maybe consider a used MRX1120 which still could disable digital conversion on analog sources (IIRC).  If you are a Roon user, then it looks like Anthem is trying to certify the 40 series to be Roon-ready or Roon-tested.

1 hour ago, pbphoto said:

Cool.  I looked long and hard at Anthem too.  Great gear.  If you do have analog sources that you want to keep analog, they took away this option in the MRX*40 series allowing this only on their AVM pre-amps.  In other words, all sources are digitized in the MRX*40 series which, combined with ARC, may not be a bad thing.  This may or may not be important to you but if it is, then maybe consider a used MRX1120 which still could disable digital conversion on analog sources (IIRC).  If you are a Roon user, then it looks like Anthem is trying to certify the 40 series to be Roon-ready or Roon-tested.

Understood.  All my music sources are digital (CD/SACD discs via optical digital,  FLAC-encoded tracks on a media server, and streaming services), so I think the *40 series will be fine.

• Like 1