'81 Heresy restoration recommendations please

More excellent replies!  A special thanks to @AndreG - that Crites Speakers website has everything, exactly what I need!

Regarding the external finish: I dug out the original paperwork and attached PDFs of two scanned pages. If I read the papers right, both @willand and @Bacek are correct - the finish is definitely Oak Lacquer and linseed oil is definitely a Bad Idea.

But....although the finish still has some gloss it also looks and feels a bit "dry".  Googling for tips on caring for fine lacquered wood finishes, all of the advice is negative: don't use any products containing ammonia, bleach, alcohols or anything acidic. (as if I ever would....)

heresy010001.pdf heresy020001.pdf

• Like 1

Yeah, just a damp cloth and wipe them down. 

Someone here who actually works with wood will have to confirm, but I think you can put lacquer right on top of lacquer and it just kind of melts together. Something you could consider if you wanted to go the whole 10 miles. They look nice. I would just leave them alone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Connecticut Yankee said:

A special thanks to @AndreG

You´re welcome! I´m just giving back what i got when i first startet here and lot´s of people on this forum helped me out with tons of good advice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Connecticut Yankee said:

Regarding the external finish: I dug out the original paperwork and attached PDFs of two scanned pages. If I read the papers right, both @willand and @Bacek are correct - the finish is definitely Oak Lacquer and linseed oil is definitely a Bad Idea.

But....although the finish still has some gloss it also looks and feels a bit "dry".  Googling for tips on caring for fine lacquered wood finishes, all of the advice is negative: don't use any products containing ammonia, bleach, alcohols or anything acidic. (as if I ever would....)

heresy010001.pdf 60.07 kB · 0 downloads heresy020001.pdf 386.8 kB · 0 downloads

Try Weiman Lemon Oil, available at most hardware stores. Apply in an inconspicuous spot first, such as the backside of the riser if you have them, or the bottom of a cabinet.