JBL 4670D cinema speakers

Emile

Holy S#-- those SCREAM.....no crossovers, though, although could be solvable....

I remember almost 20 years ago when JBL sold a bunch of these at the tent sale from the Northridge earthquake, by the time they got to a lot of us the top sections were sold out, still bought a pair of bottoms to use as LFE, still use 'em today. Dude on the phone thought we were certifiably nuts using that stuff in home theater apps but he was right about the "certifiable" part I guess 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

4 inch compression driver and that horn on top.....damn.   Would love to hear these side by side with my 904/510.  Pretty darn good price as well.

How far back do you sit from this setup and what size room are they in?  I've contemplated something like this, too.  It would have to have better bass than the Belles.  ha.  Are you bi-amping with electronic crossover?

47 minutes ago, avguytx said:

How far back do you sit from this setup and what size room are they in?

Hi; know you asked @jimjimbo but thought you might want my input also :)  Mine are about 8 ft apart, listening position 10-20 ft away. Room size 15 x 25 x 9, but "open" on one side. Have/had Fortes, CF-3's, KG4/5's, many Heresies, etc. They replaced Cornwalls I had in this position before. These blow them all away :)  Using a Crown K1 amp (350W/ch) with a Nikko Beta II preamp on them and often crank them to over 110dB's (I think) .. but also very refined on low volume.  Wide range of music ... awesome on Freddy Mercury / Queen, Beethoven's 9th (which has to be played LOUD) and Pavarotti's Nessum Dorma to give you a couple of examples. Pretty sure these JBL's have a similar response ... haha; go get them and try it :)

Cheers, Emile

1 minute ago, Emile said:

Yes; darn ... that is why I "only" have 510 horns ... no room for K-402's :( 

do you like the K510 horn ------or do you find it to be lacking in some aspects

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

do you like the K510 horn ------or do you find it to be lacking in some aspects

Absolutely LOVE them, but never heard the 402's. From memory, you can cross them at about 400-450Hz. Haha; was able to buy 4 extras from Klipsch (for about $25 each) and tried a pair with my CF-3's ... they just "over-powered" the speakers (bi-amped with DSP) and I finally gave up :(   Then the Klipsch Gestapo got me and said "NO; we cannot sell these to you." They (Roy Delgado) also gave me many promises, but nothing ever happened. :(  Sold them to forum members.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

the Chief always keeps his promises

Not really ... bought six and was shipped four (+/-). When I requested the "missing" two, case was "elevated" to Roy. Was told to provide serial numbers and pics ... did so; with the clarification that I wanted to upgrade to the "mumps" version. Nah; not allowed :) . Was promised a solution; then NOTHING. Not impressed, but no need to make this a "federal case."

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I heard that he doesn't miss anything...

Haha :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Absolutely LOVE them, but never heard the 402's. 

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Not a joke.  It is what I have heard.

Emile,

I have heard them and thanks to Chris's Xilica settings, I can flick easily between the 2way 402 and the 2way 510.

The 510s are no joke, but the 402s need to be heard to really understand what they do.

It is just that the 402s are the punchline!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HPower said:

It is just that the 402s are the punchline!!!

Thanks! Yeah ... always wanted them (even though I never heard them).  But. my 904's are "build-in"  a fireplace bookcase ... not enough room for 402's :)

3 hours ago, avguytx said:

How far back do you sit from this setup and what size room are they in?  I've contemplated something like this, too.  It would have to have better bass than the Belles.  ha.  Are you bi-amping with electronic crossover?

I will send you a PM tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 6:04 PM, Emile said:

Hi; know you asked @jimjimbo but thought you might want my input also :)  Mine are about 8 ft apart, listening position 10-20 ft away. Room size 15 x 25 x 9, but "open" on one side. Have/had Fortes, CF-3's, KG4/5's, many Heresies, etc. They replaced Cornwalls I had in this position before. These blow them all away :)  Using a Crown K1 amp (350W/ch) with a Nikko Beta II preamp on them and often crank them to over 110dB's (I think) .. but also very refined on low volume.  Wide range of music ... awesome on Freddy Mercury / Queen, Beethoven's 9th (which has to be played LOUD) and Pavarotti's Nessum Dorma to give you a couple of examples. Pretty sure these JBL's have a similar response ... haha; go get them and try it :)

Cheers, Emile

I can attest to Emile's description, having heard his system.  Fantastic sound, regardless of volume.  I am guessing they are a bit higher than 110db.

• Like 1