Sealed vs. Bass Reflex MEHs

Chris A

23 hours ago, Chris A said:

I actually consider it to be discourteous to say what you did here (quoted just above), but I guess it's the norm on other audio forums to say this. It says that you don't care what anyone else (or everyone else) is saying, and I don't believe that's really the case in this instance. 

Nowadays, I really do try to keep the threads that I create (i.e., as "OP") to be shorter such that these kind of statements really can't be justified.  That's why I tend to move certain subjects off of some threads (as the "OP") when it appears it's going to devolve into a long discussion that is really departing from the central theme of the thread.

Chris

Chris, my apologies for sounding discourteous.....I had felt that way about your post, and my reply back lacked grace.

I see the reasoning for separating threads. And besides, this forum is labeled Technical Modifications, which I take to mean modifications to Klipsch products.

All good 😃

Edited by gnarly

By the way, one saving grace that I see from the bass reflex in a horn (adding bass reflex ports well inside the horn mouth aperture--like in Roy's now-expired patent) is that the loading of the woofer diaphragm by the horn itself will serve the same function as a high pass filter in a direct-radiating bass reflex box/woofer to protect the woofer without effectively increasing the low frequency cutoff that a high pass filter induces:  the increased impedance of the horn loading can be made to support the woofer diaphragm from greater than Xmax excursions that would unload or otherwise damage the woofer because of the lack of acoustic suspension loading of the woofer diaphragm.

1630694529_NewJubbassbinanimationscreenshot.GIF.09439979cc0ac29f4f9b5188dace43a5.GIF

However, Danley "strongly recommends" a 40 Hz Butterworth 24 db/octave high pass in their bi-amping SH-96HO, SH46, and SM80M owners manuals.  Clearly, the degree of horn loading of the woofer diaphragms and the expected output SPL of the loudspeakers in service (PA is usually extremely high SPL relative to home hi-fi) play a role in this advice.

Chris

• Like 1