Lascala AA - Change from polypropylene to polyester caps. First impressions.

KT88

I did a similar style of upgrade on a set of KG2.5s. started by replacing the electrolytic caps on one side (used Erse PulseX), then listen to both speakers. The difference was quite obvious; stock, tired speaker was a scratchy, midrangy mush, replaced side was pretty even, and the treble was right. 

Took the other speaker down, did the electrolytics, and the high-pass series caps with the white caps from a Bob Crites kit. Treble extended and smoothed out quite a bit. Again, the difference from one modded speaker to the other was not subtle.

Finally, took the other side down for the high-pass caps and titanium diaphragm tweeters. The upgrade was definitely noticeable and sounded better (to my ears) than the stock phenolic diaphragms, extended and smoother.

Similar upgrades to a KV1 center has it sounding very similar to the CF2's.

This upgrade path definitely takes the 'audio memory's factor out of the equation, and it's cool to listen to each step along the way. (And I live to share that story)

Thank you, OP, for sharing yours.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/14/2021 at 10:29 PM, KT88 said:

I didn't want to advertise specific brands but it's not a secret. I use Kemet and Nichicon. Both brands are described in forums as good quality. It is what I could get from Mouser in this case. I also deliberately did not use Genteq or similar (cans of oil) because I wanted to stay close to the type recommendation of Klipsch. I'm all about the principle at this stage. The orignal Klipsch certified capacitors cost me over 220€ until they are in Germany because shipping, customs and VAT are very high. That's why I wanted to try first.

51E26996-4375-4F3B-A143-82323C4E2FF9.jpeg

@KT88, I'm very inspired by this post. However, I'm having trouble locating these capacitors. I need 2.2uf, 8uf, and 30uf for my Type AL network. Can you please help with providing links to purchasing these types of caps by Nichicon and Kemet?

Edited by Lexx510

55 minutes ago, Lexx510 said:

@KT88, I'm very inspired by this post. However, I'm having trouble locating these capacitors. I need 2.2uf, 8uf, and 30uf for my Type AL network. Can you please help with providing links to purchasing these types of caps by Nichicon and Kemet?

Hello Lexx510. Here below is my original order sheet to Mouser. I hope the copying works. BTW in the meantime I have learned from forum member @captainbeefheartthat it is no issue at all to achieve almost the same total ESR if you put two caps of half the uF value in parallel. It is important to reach the original values as close as possible concerning this older networks. E.g. therefore it is much better to put 2x1 uF in parallel instead of using 1x 2.2 uF. Another lesson learned is that when using caps in parallel you are not in the need to take 2x the very same value if not available. E.g. to reach 13uF it is totally ok to use e.g. a 3uF and a 10 uF (or other combinations of two values) to reach the 13 uF as close as possible (or whatever values you especially need). Also in case of different values the sum of ESR is similar to using just one cap of one kind of construction. Of course we are talking of one and the same construction of caps, in our case polyester (or also called mylar) caps. BTW this approach is certainly not too bad but to order the Klipsch approved caps from JEM is certainly the way to be totally sure of what you will get. Somewhere I read that the JEM caps are somehow different from ordinary metallized polyester caps even if I am happy so far with my result. I also intend to change my uF values in use against the correct values from Mouser as described above when making my next order.

eilenummer
Beschreibung
Gewünschtes
Lieferdatum
Geschätztes
Lieferdatum
Menge Stückpreis
(EUR)
Gesamtpreis
(EUR)

http://www.mouser.com/images/icon_rohs.png1
647-QAK2E225JTP