Recommendation for Surrounds needed

Sam Marrocco

I have a Klipsch 504C Center Channel and RP-600m  LR. When complete, I'll have 5.1 for home theater. Room is a particularly difficult arrangement and the surrounds will need to be approx. 6-8 feet directly to the left and right of the listener's ear. I can have them at ear-height, or raise them up to the ceiling but still directly L and R of the listener's head (a single couch)'

What would be a good match for these speakers for the two surrounds, and would it be better at head level or elevated to the ceiling? The room is 15' deep (screen to back of room) and 20' wide.

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2021 at 2:33 PM, Sam Marrocco said:

I can have them at ear-height, or raise them up to the ceiling but still directly L and R of the listener's head (a single couch)'

Between the two options you listed, I'd vote for ear level, however the ideal would be slightly above ear level for two reasons: 1) so that if you have more than one person sitting next to each other, the person/s on the outside don't get blasted from the side, and 2) so that people on the outsides don't block the sound to the main listening position with their head. You do mention a single couch, so perhaps none of these issues apply, but just something to consider. 

• Like 2

The usual recommendation for surround speakers is that the bottoms of the speakers should be 6 feet/1.9 metres above the floor.  If that’s not practical, I’d try to get as close as you can to the 6 foot figure.

As for having the surround speakers directly to the left and right of the listening position, that’s not terrible, but a bit further back would be better.  If the surround speaker location is pretty much fixed, why not move the couch ahead a foot or two?  That will also put you closer to the screen, which is usually better than sitting further back.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 7:33 AM, Sam Marrocco said:

I have a Klipsch 504C Center Channel and RP-600m  LR. When complete, I'll have 5.1 for home theater. Room is a particularly difficult arrangement and the surrounds will need to be approx. 6-8 feet directly to the left and right of the listener's ear. I can have them at ear-height, or raise them up to the ceiling but still directly L and R of the listener's head (a single couch)'

What would be a good match for these speakers for the two surrounds, and would it be better at head level or elevated to the ceiling? The room is 15' deep (screen to back of room) and 20' wide.

Never elevate side surrounds to the ceilings if you can keep from it.  Nowadays with Atmos systems, technically the most correct is at ear level and the same height as your mains although they reneged and changed the specs to allow for slightly elevated ones.  Typically 1-2' above ear level is what people use.  Your average ear height is about 40".  The tops of a typical surround being about 5 1/2" high is usually about right, 6' to the tops is getting on up there and is about the highest I'd ever be comfortable with.  I wouldn't go higher than that personally.  Kind of depends on your angles as well.  Dolby has several printouts for both traditional 5.1 as well as newer Atmos systems, I'd read up on those and study the angles / height recommendations.  

• Thanks 1