Quartet risers / stands/ bases -whatever you call them

I found a pair of Quartet online and had the guy ship them. I've shipped a few different pairs of Forte ii so I know it can be done if packed right. 

This guy didn't package them well and they arrived damaged. Still working on a resolution as he is trying to get UPS to cover it. But anyway... 

One would be a matter of gluing it back together, but the other the particle board is cracked. I guess I could try to use glue and clamps and see what happens.

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions for replacing the risers? I'm thinking maybe just get some oak and make my own rather than try to recreate the particle board/veneer risers that originally came on them. What have other's done in the past? I did a search but didn't find anything. 

shrink base 1.jpg

shrink base 2.jpg

Sorry for the damage, that really sucks. On the bright side this would be very simple for a local woodworker to replicate. I made new risers for a pair of Chorus II's a few years back. The contour is a basic one and my dad had the correct router bit in his small collection. I forget the dimensions of the wood but that too was common. We used solid oak boards with 1"x1" stock glued into the corners along with 2" braces w/45 deg cuts about 3" away from the corner. Those were nailed in place. It was a fun project that only took a couple of hours in a garage to do. 

I've got a DeWalt router I've never used. Along with Klipsch, I have a weird DeWalt 20v addiction... 
I was thinking I could probably use it to recreate contour on the bases. 

I just don't like that they won't be original but I guess not the end of the world

• Like 1

if they arent too bad i would try & save the originals. you'd be surprised what some good wood glue can do for minor cracks & splits, its usually stronger than the original wood. 

i had some forte 2's shipped a few years ago & the guy didnt pack them right either & split the seams on one of the risers.  after looking into making my own i decided to repair the original one & it worked out great.  theres a very good chance new ones wont match the wood grain or color of the originals,  for mine that are walnut it would have been very hard to get a good match.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 10:24 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

if they arent too bad i would try & save the originals. you'd be surprised what some good wood glue can do for minor cracks & splits, its usually stronger than the original wood. 

i had some forte 2's shipped a few years ago & the guy didnt pack them right either & split the seams on one of the risers.  after looking into making my own i decided to repair the original one & it worked out great.  theres a very good chance new ones wont match the wood grain or color of the originals,  for mine that are walnut it would have been very hard to get a good match.

I'll probably give that a try, nothing to loose. I have wood glue and clamps so when I have time I'll give it a go and hope for the best.

• Like 2