Tube Bloom

joessportster

I have had a couple amps over the years that approx 2 hours into a listening session the soundstage would take on a holographic nature (I really liked that) I never knew what to call it, and in fact I thought it was an anomaly. I took possession of an Eddie Vaughn Carina today and the manual speaks about Bloom at or near 2 hours. =The manual states there will be 3 stages in the tubes sound 1= while tubes are freshly turned on, still not warm / hot, 2= tubes reach full operating temp, & 3= Bloom

Anyone here experienced this ?  If so what amps did you experience the effect

For me it was with a Decware Taboo MK II on speakers and headphones, and on  the original Schiit Valhalla on headphones

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cicerogue said:

Nice.  I will be looking for this amp in the Garage Sale forum next week.  If I may inquire, what were you listening to when you experienced this magic?

You will be waiting a Long time I am afraid. The Vaughn is Good enough IMHO that I absolutely know 100% you will not beat the sound at even double the price IOW... It's a Keeper. 

I dont pay attention to specific tracks when listening and I hear something wonderful I am just into the music...............That said tonight I was Listening to Tony Joe White Greatest Hits and it was the best I have heard it on speakers, Diana Krall stands out also Wallflower.

Absolutely.  I always called it 3D soundstage not knowing any better.  The HH Scotts I have had all did it very noticeably.  Right now I have an LK-72.  By the way, to me that is one of the most desirable characteristics of tube audio.  Some others may not like it so much.  But I love it.  I use my LK-72 with a pair of cornwalls that I typically bring outside onto my patio.  I still get that same 3D soundstage even outside. 

My NBS and VRDs approach this but with less of it.

My McIntosh tube preamps and s/s amp combos........not very much at all.  This may be due to the digital processors.  I don't even know.

10 hours ago, joessportster said:

I absolutely know 100% you will not beat the sound at even double the price IOW... It's a Keeper. 

You'll notice that I haven't purchased anything in a long time...

I've never thought of the sound being a bloom because I usually associate bloom with bad or bloated LF... but bloom does describe it well.

13 minutes ago, Schu said:

You'll notice that I haven't purchased anything in a long time...

I've never thought of the sound being a bloom because I usually associate bloom with bad or bloated LF... but bloom does describe it well.

I like you never really attached a name to it, I agree Bloom is an accurate descriptor.  I would like to hear that DAC of yours some day, Price is outta my range though currently