Just bought Hersey Gen1 for $100. I should have opened them up before I bought.

4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

set the Multimeter DIAL TO OHMS -----then connect the probes on the connectors that come out of the woofer cone marked positive and negative

I am not sure where to begin .......

Old capacitors have probably not appreciably drifted off spec in terms of capacitance. What folks worry about with old capacitors is ESR (Equivalent series resistance). This requires more than an inexpensive volt meter.  The above post does not really address the issue at hand. In fact it is just noise in the discussion. 

While I am at it ... there is this myth being perpetuated (IMHO), that Bob Crites was unaware of how to measure and specify capacitor parts (functionality -- including acceptable levels of ESR). This is not true. In fact Bob had a nice post about how he was able to "work backwards" and figure out the functionality of how the original parts would have performed and measured. His argument was convincing. 

While I am still at it ... no one has fresh  OEM capacitors that were used in some of the older Heritage products. Now, a vendor may claim that their products meets those specs, but is it fair to claim they are actually OEM parts? Should folks blindly repeat the mantra that these, and these only, are "true OEM parts". I think some of you folks are victims of advertising. 

IMO, I would not hesitate to use the either the Crites replacements (or the JEM replacements), but  let's be aware of the sales pitch ....

-Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

@RandyH000 "DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET CAPACITORS  from CRITES   or any other aftermarket  source , they will not sound right "

What you said is like telling someone to not put better brakes and tires on their new or used Corvette, which wouldn't surprise many if you were to say that. There are better caps and tweeters that make the Klipsch speakers sound better. If there wasn't room for better sound, then there wouldn't be a Cornwall IV, which is a lot closer to being a Crites Cornscala than a Cornawall I.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Chief bonehead

You can do whatever you want to do to your klipsch speaker. The speaker was designed and produced with a certain spec in mind. Once you put in something that is not klipsch approved then it is no longer a klipsch speaker. I really don’t understand why this is so hard to comprehend  

The first 47 characters say it all thank you, "you can do what ever you want to your Klipsch speaker".

54 minutes ago, Vader540is said:

Ok here is the other speaker

PXL_20210522_203001522.jpg

That is still a klipsch... the earlier K22s had the red surrounds. The K22E is still Klipsch zpecifications, but made to their spec by Eminence.

45 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I'll bet if you didn't open them up or take off the grills, you wouldn't have known the difference.

I could tell. One speaker's midrange sounded different IMHO. 

If I had time, I would measure them with my Umik-1 and REW

2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

While I am still at it ... no one has fresh  OEM capacitors that were used in some of the older Heritage products.

Yes and I have yet to find any info on what was acceptable ESR on those older caps. Something which none of the Fluke multimeters I have seen will measure.

9 hours ago, Dave A said:

Yes and I have yet to find any info on what was acceptable ESR on those older caps. Something which none of the Fluke multimeters I have seen will measure.

Bob Crites discussed this very issue along with some others. He was able to make the necessary measurements and make an appropriate choice for the replacements. If someone was interested they could search the threads (I am not that someone) and get the details. 

Just stepping back for a moment ... c'mon guys, these are simple capacitors in straight forward circuits. This is not rocket  science.

• Like 1