KLF-30 Cabinet salvage/repair project

Awhile back I was going to part these out due to water damage to the bottoms of the Cabinets. last week I scored some large sheets of Sapele Veneer from a local guy who had a pair of KLF-30's in his shop. Deciding I needed a New project I started repairing the KLF cabinets. New bottoms, removed the loose MDF on the lower parts of the cabs. I used some 2 part wood filler to repair all the chips, edges and corners. heavy sanding with 80 grit and I started gluing the veneer. one thing I will need is to build some grills, if anyone has some pictures of the frames for me to work off. 

work so far.

klf2.thumb.jpg.cd4aa7f16c517c1b7b474743ccd3e1a1.jpgklf1.thumb.jpg.d010553e9e158fe8956053de33c79320.jpgklf3.thumb.jpg.72b5f9456572cf20bf3a6d35b994d834.jpgklf4.thumb.jpg.3ab832f279989781184b58dc8c1b2790.jpgklf5.thumb.jpg.2cc629c525704e4a5cdc8a57c03f3a9a.jpgklf6.thumb.jpg.c0d95a5f16a0512a3fc9942438dba8cb.jpg

• Like 3

To be honest, this is my first full re veneer job, I have done alot of repairs. this Sapele is brittle to work with it likes to crack really easy. Been having to do alot of edge repairs. Thanks for the comment. 

second cabinet done, now for the small trim on the fronts and repaint the rear edges. I cut a bunch of bracing so that will go in tomorrow.

klf10.jpg

klf11.jpg

klf12.jpg

Edited by Vince1966
  • Like 2

Awesome work on those KLF's! 

Just put a few coats of General Finish Seal a Cell on them to make that grain pop and  then something else to top it off.  I can't recall what I used for the last finish over the Seal a Cell on my Belle clones but could probably find it.  

Here's a link to some pics of before and after with it.

• Like 1

thanks for the link, your Belle clones are amazing, top notch work. I envy your skills. I will look into you finish recommendations. My edge trimmer messed up a few of my front edges so I need to fix those tomorrow. Im learning alot about full veneer jobs thats for sure. Not as easy as it looks. 

• Like 1

To make grill boards Masonite is traditionally used. You can easily cut the rectangular outline. Getting the holes for the speakers correct is a pain. I bought an oscillating spindle sander and cut all the speaker holes too small, then I enlarged them. Even the smallest spindles won’t get into the square corners, you’ll need a file. 

Ugh...I'd avoid Masonite unless you have a really good way of cutting it.  Such a pain to work with and the edges always seem to fray...which can be sanded I guess.  Most grills I've built over the last 35+ years I used primarily mdf or Baltic birch but depended on thickness and shape. But lots of alternatives.  

I have plenty of Baltic birch. I started to lay out the frames for the grills. I'm trying to decide on fabric. I would like to go with something other than black, any ideas out there?  Started the finish work on the first cabinet. I will post some pictures tomorrow of the progress, I had to work on some chips here and there, this veneer is so brittle. But its looking so much better than it did, I guess that's not too hard to accomplish given they were water damaged and knocked around.