Truth

oldtimer

1 hour ago, garyrc said:

"What is Truth?

Pilate may, or may not, have said that, but it was a "Good Question."

Empiricism vs. Rationalism vs. Intuition vs. Faith vs. Authority (etc.) ...

Hawking, and his co-author, in The Grand Design, said something like, ""The math may be dubious, but all research, thus far, confirms it."

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy  took a whack at dealing with Truth, here:  https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/truth/#TarTheTru

Do not read with insufficient caffeine.  

It's been said many times, in many ways, but applying Occam's razor to understanding the Universe, the simplest explanation is that we are imagining it. I am imagining it, and all of you.

Isn’t that Solipsism?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emile said:

Yes, he called it "spooky action at a distance" and could not believe that particles could be entangled (and in disagreement with his "speed of light/info" theory); see ... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

In some of Ursula K. Le Guin’s stories, there was a device called an “ansible”, which permitted instant communication between any two points, no matter how far apart.  It may have used entangled particles, which is at least better than sci-fi stories or movies that show instant communication between distant star systems to be permitted by “sub-space” transmission, or just by conventional radio, with no explanation of how such communication could be possible.

It would really slow the plots down if the Captain had to wait years to get a response from Starfleet every time he needed to tell them about some new threat to the Federation and get instructions on how to proceed, or to get reinforcements if negotiations broke down.

Quantum entanglement may make the ansible possible someday.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

He rejected it didn't he?  If anyone he had the ability to comprehend it as well as anyone can possibly understand it, but didn't he call it spooky or something like that? 

Letter from AEE to his buddy Max in '26:

"Quantum mechanics is very impressive. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory produces a good deal but hardly brings us closer to the secret of the Old One. I am at all events convinced that He does not play dice."

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Letter from AEE to his buddy Max in '26:

"Quantum mechanics is very impressive. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory produces a good deal but hardly brings us closer to the secret of the Old One. I am at all events convinced that He does not play dice."

And yet, in spite of being incomprehensible to most people, including many scientists, the predictions that quantum theory provides have been proven over and over, to a greater degree of accuracy than those of almost all other theories.  Imagine when AIs start to go from assisting scientists to creating their own theories.  There will be theories that don't make sense to us, but enable processes and devices that seem like magic to us.  Then we may see an age of sorcerers, technicians who can control these apparently magical processes and devices.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 1:40 PM, JJkizak said:

Ketchup, coffee and Quantum Mechanics. The combination results in a dead cat.

JJK

Only if you look.  I haven't, so the cat is still alive. Last I heard, @oldtimer is still alive too ... at least I hope so.  He's my brother from a different mother. That may not impress many of you; but it should. Peace guys. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:38 PM, Islander said:

In some of Ursula K. Le Guin’s stories, there was a device called an “ansible”, which permitted instant communication between any two points, no matter how far apart.  It may have used entangled particles, which is at least better than sci-fi stories or movies that show instant communication between distant star systems to be permitted by “sub-space” transmission, or just by conventional radio, with no explanation of how such communication could be possible.

Those stories aren't fiction, are they? I think I live in a different world than most...

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

Those stories aren't fiction, are they? I think I live in a different world than most...

In that case, I recommend that you read The Lathe of Heaven, also by Ursula K. Le Guin.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:21 AM, Islander said:

Imagine when AIs start to go from assisting scientists to creating their own theories.  There will be theories that don't make sense to us, but enable processes and devices that seem like magic to us.  Then we may see an age of sorcerers, technicians who can control these apparently magical processes and devices.

I read a lot of SciFi, but this notion disturbs me a little. Again man would get his hands on things he does not understand ( or does not need to, the AI does the thinkung.). Who knows what man will do if he can tap this kind of power. Fusion, bending of space-time, genetics – to a certain point, i am fine with all that, but mingeling with quantum mechanics, the base of all matter, i don´t know...

• 1 month later...