Is anyone using a high end multichannel processor...likes, and dislikes of the one they have?

NBPK402

I currently have a Yamaha cxa5100, and I am wanting to upgrade to something that can get more out of my audio setup. I have been looking at the Monoprice HTP-1, JBL SDP50, Lyngdorf MP50 or MP60, and the Trinnov Altitude 16 channel. The Trinnov is really quite a bit over over budget though...unless I can find a super deal.

I have a difficult room to tune with a 32' high concave brick ceiling that is about 25' long, with about 8' of it having a 2nd floor loft. The room is 19' wide, and 40' long. All built out of brick, and with marble floors. I have 13' tall heavy stage curtains o. The front wall, 7' wide curtains on both side walls (same as the front wall curtains), with 2 bass traps 13' tall. I will be placing some 4" thick 4'x4' absorption panels on each side of the MEHs, plus about 6 2'x4' panels up hiher on the walls, and in the center of the front wall (between the 2 12' or so windows).

I have listed the room because I have been told some room processors do better with hard to setup rooms. I am not interested in Audyssey or YPAO. I like Dirac, but I am not sure if something like Roomperfect would do a better job in my situation...hence why I am asking about what others are using.

Required items are Roon, Auro3d, and xlrs.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Until my my NAD T175HD takes a dump, it will continue to anchor my HT rig.

Now if I had the $$$, this would be my first choice.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/m17-v2i-surround-sound-preamp-processor/

Second choice would be this.

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-processor/model=avm-90/page=overview

Third.

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-processor/model=avm-70/page=overview

Bill

• Like 1

I've had an Anthem D2 for over a decade and it's been flawless.  I haven't had to do so much as a reboot on it.  Their room correction software is phenomenal.  I'm sure it's even better now than when I bought mine.  Pricey but zero regrets and would do again if the need ever arose.

• Like 1

I'm using a Marantz AV8805 AV Surround Pre-Amplifier. AV8805 The World’s First 13.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD Network AV Surround Pre-Amplifier with HEOS. Control Your Music with Amazon Alexa Voice Commands. AV Separates | Marantz

The system is 5.2; Jub's, center Belle, KPT-8001-T surrounds and a pair of Danley DTS20's. A variety of Crown amps and a couple of DSP's make it all work. Despite the fact that the room is far from acoustically treated it still sounds pretty good. I like the AV8805 a lot! 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 4:55 PM, NBPK402 said:

I currently have a Yamaha cxa5100, and I am wanting to upgrade to something that can get more out of my audio setup. I have been looking at the Monoprice HTP-1, JBL SDP50,

you cant go wrong with the   Sunfire  products  ,and even if used   I recently  worked on a  Sunfire TGP5 ,  the quality build was  very impressive ---the all high quality parts through out  make any repair a breeze -

- now the JBL SDP50, or SDP55 , is on my list  , they are a serious piece of equipment  that integrates very well with Crown High end multi-channel Amplifiers

SDP-55 - Black - 16 Ch. Immersive Surround Sound Processor with Dante - Hero

• Like 1

In a similar situation in wanting to upgrade my living room system. After a lot of reading on the AVS forum I decided to order the Anthem AVM 70 (though it is backordered until?). The Monoprice HTP-1 is very intriguing but I don't want the blow back from my wife if/when it gets buggy. Anthem's strong history of happy customers and long lived products was the deciding factor for me.

BTW I also have a Yamaha CX-A5200 in my basement system. Very nice unit and totally trouble free.

• Like 3

Seems to be the thing for this forum this summer, lot of rebuilding theaters going on in here.....

I'm stepping back into the world of high end pre-pros, been looking at the landscape and I'm landing (if all goes right this next week) on a Mac 151 (from the "one generation back" school as I tend to do with high end digi-gear). Mac really is a good fit for Klipsch and I feel pretty safe with that choice in terms of sonics, it's really not much of a gamble, not to mention the RoomPerfect (the creme de la creme in room correction if reviews are any indication) seems to be a real plus. MX160s (4K version) are around for the 8Kish area on the market, which now are a gen back with the MX170 now out (14K list new).

Bryston won't do much to assuage our budget side, either, the SP3 in the five figure ballpark, like the Tinnov and Datasats.

I think the "one to watch" is the Anthem, the AVM70 ad AVM 90 (high end audio version) are going to be lookers in terms of feature set and package, but these are pretty much unobtainium until late summer/fall (AVM 90 mid-Oct). I think these will be really attractive for their price. They will have the Roon/XLRs but no Auro3D as Anthem has their own version.

The Marantz 8805A is just now posted on Marantz's.website, 8K and will have the Roon/Auro3D/XLRs. Audyssey RC, however.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, NBPK402 said:

I have a difficult room to tune with a 32' high concave brick ceiling that is about 25' long, with about 8' of it having a 2nd floor loft.

Do you have plans to hang a baffle or a diffuser between your concave ceiling and your main listening area?

• Like 1

The Monolith HTP-1 should fit your needs i would say[emoji6]
The one problem I had with the Monolith is the VOG channel is summed from 2 channels, and I want a single VOG channel.

Seems to be the thing for this forum this summer, lot of rebuilding theaters going on in here.....

I'm stepping back into the world of high end pre-pros, been looking at the landscape and I'm landing (if all goes right this next week) on a Mac 151 (from the "one generation back" school as I tend to do with high end digi-gear). Mac really is a good fit for Klipsch and I feel pretty safe with that choice in terms of sonics, it's really not much of a gamble, not to mention the RoomPerfect (the creme de la creme in room correction if reviews are any indication) seems to be a real plus. MX160s (4K version) are around for the 8Kish area on the market, which now are a gen back with the MX170 now out (14K list new).

Bryston won't do much to assuage our budget side, either, the SP3 in the five figure ballpark, like the Tinnov and Datasats.

I think the "one to watch" is the Anthem, the AVM70 ad AVM 90 (high end audio version) are going to be lookers in terms of feature set and package, but these are pretty much unobtainium until late summer/fall (AVM 90 mid-Oct). I think these will be really attractive for their price. They will have the Roon/XLRs but no Auro3D as Anthem has their own version.

The Marantz 8805A is just now posted on Marantz's.website, 8K and will have the Roon/Auro3D/XLRs. Audyssey RC, however.
I would be interested in how room perfect does. Another one I am seriously looking at is the AudioControl Maestro x7. From what I have read they are 2nd to none on customer service, and the product is coming up on 2 years since release. I also have heard they just work.

Do you have plans to hang a baffle or a diffuser between your concave ceiling and your main listening area?
Wife is def against that....it was hard enough to get the MEHs in the room, hopefully I will have 2 more soon. We are also contemplating moving to Portugal in a few years...so I am mainly trying to get everything I want before we do a move, so I can avoid high duty rates.

On 5/30/2021 at 1:47 PM, tromprof said:

In a similar situation in wanting to upgrade my living room system. After a lot of reading on the AVS forum I decided to order the Anthem AVM 70 (though it is backordered until?). The Monoprice HTP-1 is very intriguing but I don't want the blow back from my wife if/when it gets buggy. Anthem's strong history of happy customers and long lived products was the deciding factor for me.

Great choice.  My son in law has one of the AVM series pre's.  Sweet sounding piece.  Anthem has always been an audio first company.  I have their TLP-1 two channel pre, it's been just as trouble free and as good of a sounding of a pre as you could ever ask for.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

If I can get the money together this year... I want to get the Trinnov Altitude 16 or a used 32. By going this route I can sell my Xilica xp4080, 2 DDRC88M boxes, and my cxa5100, and save space in the rack...plus have a upgradeble preamp. This will be my endgame processor if I can get the cash together. The Trinnov Altitude can do 80+ filters per speaker. Another nice feature is you can rotate the sound to othrr speakers of you have a tv on the side wall...so you can still use your system speakers 90 degrees from normal.

• 8 months later...