Please pray for my pug PJ

teaman

Hello Klipsch family, I haven't been posting much because I have had my hands full. My pup PJ just turned ten a couple of weeks back, and he has been pretty sick. About five weeks ago he started to vomit, with diarrhea. After about a week, I took him to the vet. They put him on medicine to suppress both ends, after about a week on the meds his vomiting stopped, but the diarrhea continued. Blood tests showed he was anemic, and they believed after Xrays showed nothing definitive that he was probably suffering from ulcers. After a couple more days I took him to a full service ER vet where they took more blood, a fecal test, and more Xrays. They leaned on the same thing that it was possibly ulcers. He has been on the ulcer meds for ten days now and still not much improvement.

Today we are taking him back to the ER for his appointment to get an ultrasound. This should be definitive. Initially they could not get us in until June 23rd, then bumped to the 2nd of June. After his continuing deterioration they got him in today. We are unsure on what to expect. My initial local vet looked at him again on Monday and now thinks he can see a large mass in his abdomen, and also showed something with his lungs...but neither set of Xrays from two weeks and three weeks ago showed anything.

Not sure right now on what to expect, until the ultrasound results this afternoon we won't know what we are dealing with. Surely praying to God it is not a cancerous mass but unfortunately we cannot rule anything out yet. I'm asking for my friends here to offer up a prayer or two for him. My other pug is also ten, and has been through the ringer. Two bouts of cancer, Vestibular Disease, and palette skin had to be surgically removed from his throat. I've kind of become familiar with all of his demands, but this is a first in his life for PJ. Right now he has labored breathing and is pretty weak. It's been a fight all month just getting pills in him, because he seems to find them no matter what we tuck them in to.

I'm happy that we will finally be getting him in for his ultrasound, and could not imagine him being able to wait until a later date. I'm already $3k deep this month in vet bills, and I have been unemployed for over a year due in large part to Covid restrictions here in Michigan. I just went through a horrible and heartbreaking divorce after thirty years together....it's been a rough year to say the least.

Anyways, I think I have put all I can in here, and I have to start getting ready for his appointment. Like I say, I am eternally grateful to all of my extended family in here for any prayers you can offer up for PJ!

Tim

Just an update guys. We had to put PJ down on the 26th. His vet visit for ultrasound revealed a huge cancerous tumor in his small intestines that had ruptured and he was going septic.

• Sad 4

• Moderators

Sorry to hear about all of this, pets can become like family members so it's not easy.

Sorry about the divorce being hard on you, never done it but have seen many who have and sometimes it's easy and a relief and sometimes not at all, either way it's a big change. 

Hope you and PJ do better.  

• Like 3

I'll spare you references to the Rainbow Bridge, and offer my condolences and sympathy. I've had to do it myself twice in the past, and in both cases it was among the most difficult things I've ever had to do. It is the last act of kindness that you can show to your loving friend.

• Like 2

SO sorry to hear this, @teaman.  Been there, done that, got a few T-shirts and it's just never an easy thing to do.  It's like this line I have always lived by whenever I have lost a dog....or any pets...    A dog is only with you a part of YOUR life but YOU are with them their entire life.

And I leave you with this great quote...with tears in my own eyes now.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.
- Anatole France

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, teaman said:

Sad news guys, we are putting him down. He has a ruptured cancerous tumor in his intestines and cannot be saved. We are absolutely heartbroken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear, I know the feeling as I myself have been through this with a dog.  We once had a pug/Boston terrier mix, one of the best dam dogs I've ever had.  Again sorry for your loss. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much guys, for both your kind words of condolence, and for sharing your own experiences. My heart goes out to each of you that have endured this pain, it really is a hollow sadness that takes a long time to heal. 

I didn't have any idea how bad off he was. In three weeks this tumor that was not even showing up in Xrays, grew to the size of a baseball, then ruptured. There really was no decision to be made, he would not have made it back home with the forty minute ride we had. My daughter and I got to spend the last moments of his life sharing his love and affection. Ten glorious years of unconditional love from the best friend I could ever ask for.

My remaining pug Pita has had all kinds of issues in his life, and somehow the little pumpkin is still ticking. He's had two bouts of cancer, Vestibular Disease, palette skin growing over his throat to name a few. I always feared he would go first, but somehow he managed to be a trooper. I hope I don't lose him anytime soon, not sure my heart could take that.

Tim

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Animals are so much better than humans. they don't lie, connive or destroy for the sake of destruction. They are simply true to their nature.

I lost my best friend the day after Christmas 2018 and  still have not gotten over it, so I empathize with your loss.

It seems you have been blessed with some special companions, so revel in their presence while you can.

• Like 5

So sorry, Teaman!  Heartbreaking.

6 hours ago, avguytx said:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.
- Anatole France

Beautiful Quote!

26 minutes ago, makos said:

Animals are so much better than humans ... they don't ... connive ...

Well, hardly ever.  I had a dog and a cat when I was growing up, who worked together .... but we loved them so much.  Since then, my wife and I have had 3 cats, and one frequent visitor. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, garyrc said:
1 hour ago, makos said:

Animals are so much better than humans ... they don't ... connive ...

Well, hardly ever.  I had a dog and a cat when I was growing up, who worked together .... but we loved them so much.  Since then, my wife and I have had 3 cats, and one frequent visitor. 

Well Makos has not met our Minpin, he has me trained, I just look like a big treat to him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@teamanI just found this thread Tim.  Sorry about your loss, I've got tears in my eyes.  My heart goes out to you in this time of grief.  Be it family member, friend or pet, the pain of loss hurts just the same.

You did everything you could for PJ but this was just his time. -Dave

• Like 2

17 hours ago, teaman said:

Sad news guys, we are putting him down. He has a ruptured cancerous tumor in his intestines and cannot be saved. We are absolutely heartbroken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. Find solace in the 10 years of joy you shared.

• Like 1