Old eyes

NADman

I don't remember ever having my eyes examined. Did that yesterday and shocked the Optometrist.

She said if I don't get glasses NOW I could loose my driving privileges.

Does anyone know how good or bad this prescription is?

Sorry about the sideways view.

eyes.thumb.JPG.75fe750a786fd41cdcd9c0fc20f9329b.JPG

• Like 1

I suggest you find an optometrist who is less prone to hyperbole.  If she is startled by those numbers, you would do well to get another exam by someone more professional.

If you can pass the eyesight exam at the DMV, you can see well enough to drive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cicerogue said:

If you can pass the eyesight exam at the DMV, you can see well enough to drive.

As a person who rides motorcycles and bicycles on the very same roads that you drive, I request that you correct your vision to the greatest extent possible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Edgar said:

As a person who rides motorcycles and bicycles on the very same roads that you drive, I request that you correct your vision to the greatest extent possible.

Yes Sir. Now if just everyone that has great vision used their eyes for Driving and Not cell phone scanning we’d be on to something - 

• Like 5

Well, you should certainly see more clearly in the distance with the glasses on, especially with your left eye.  Didn’t the optometrist demonstrate the prescription???  In most states there is a minimum visual acuity requirement and, if demonstrated in one eye, it is accepted.  That said, I have always maintained that a person should have the best possible acuity for driving, especially at night.  Without glasses, I imagine you have done fairly well around the house since the myopia in the left eye should be giving you decent near vision while your right eye can let you see across the room (some folks have done this intentionally with contact lenses).  

If you get glasses, and plan to use them at night, consider adding a reflection free coating.  It is amazingly effective for glare reduction.

What was your uncorrected visual acuity?

Maynard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

If you get glasses, and plan to use them at night, consider adding a reflection free coating.  It is amazingly effective for glare reduction.

A must have for any glasses...

And if you require sunglasses, there are options.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2021 at 4:00 PM, NADman said:

I don't remember ever having my eyes examined. Did that yesterday and shocked the Optometrist.

She said if I don't get glasses NOW I could loose my driving privileges.

Does anyone know how good or bad this prescription is?

Sorry about the sideways view.

eyes.thumb.JPG.75fe750a786fd41cdcd9c0fc20f9329b.JPG

not sure; but suspect if you could correct your vision 90 degrees to the left, you might do better. 

hope things are going well my friend.  

• Like 1

Not a catastrophic but you should get the glasses to see well.

I am having much lower than that, and I usually drive without glasses just fine. Seeing numbers at the license plate on a car in front of me on autobahn is a problem, but who cares.

But when I want to see accurate the objects in the distance then I wear my glasses.

For example, viewfinders in my cameras are well adjusted for my right eye, which is also worse than my left eye.

However, you should wear glasses for one other reason and that is you could loose your sight much more rapidly then without them. At lest that is how my optometrist explained to me.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 5/26/2021 at 9:42 PM, dtel said:

I have no idea, but would take her advice, you will know how bad they are as soon as you put them on.

On 6/3/2021 at 6:12 PM, NADman said:

WOW!

On 6/4/2021 at 3:55 PM, NADman said:

How about -- I can clearly see the puck now.

So I was correct, the guess anyway, :lol:........mostly because I am old and wear glasses, it creeps up on you a little at a time and you don't notice. 

I never fished for years and started back again, all of a sudden I could not see the little hole to tie on a hook anymore, that was my first sign.

Glad it worked out, wearing them is no fun but they do give a real improvment if needed.  

• Like 2