Old eyes

NADman

I have been wearing glasses/contacts for 41 years. When as a 6th grader I could no longer tell what the score was on the KC Royals outfield scoreboard (Which is huge), my mother knew something was up. With each passing update in strength it never ceases to amaze me how big of an improvement the update is. As @dtel said, it creeps up on you unaware. At this point, I should be able to see into the future with my prescription.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

However, you should wear glasses for one other reason and that is you could loose your sight much more rapidly then without them. At lest that is how my optometrist explained to me.

This is not correct.  Failing to wear corrective lenses will not cause eyes to change more rapidly.  

Maynard

• Like 2

My nearfield vision slowly getting weaker due to aging. Like my dad i started to use glasses as i´m nearing the half-century mark. Our eyes, like ourselves, are lazy things. Once you give them support of lenses, they will get used to it, this can (not must) lead to them geting weaker faster. Thats why i use my glasses when i have to, that is as little as i can. I know this will get more with passage of time, but i can stretch it, i think.

That beeing said, every persons eyes are different and my eyes used to be exellent while i was younger.

4 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Our eyes, like ourselves, are lazy things. Once you give them support of lenses, they will get used to it, this can (not must) lead to them geting weaker faster. 

Wearing glasses cannot cause them to get weaker faster.  The brain can get accustomed to the level of clarity which glasses or contact lenses allow.  If you try to take that away after a length of time a person can feel “blind” although nothing has changed.  This is seen across all age groups and with correction for myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism.

Maynard

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have wore glasses for about 30 years. I always use glasses that get dark in the sun but when driving they won’t darken due to the windshield. I just received my first pair of prescription Ray Bans and I am in so happy with them. I used my insurance for the year and they only cost me 170.00 dollars. One of the best purchases I have made in awhile! That way you can wear glasses and still look like a rock star lol.

• Like 1

I prefer glasses to contacts, they hold more beer.

I recently saw an ophthalmologist for a cataract workup.  It seemed like I was talking to a used car salesman.  He told me I should get the deluxe lenses that add thousands of dollars, and that I needed to act quickly as the prices were going up.

I then consulted another ophthalmologist recommended by a friend with monocular vision.  I figured if you can only see with one eye you must have a lot of confidence in your ophthalmologist to get cataract surgery.

The second doctor was way better than the first.  When I told him I needed a second opinion, he said, “OK, you’re ugly too.”  (An homage to Rodney Dangerfield and my late father.)  I’m scheduled to get the first eye done in a month.

The second guy recommended the basic lenses, rather than the X-ray vision lenses from the old comic books.  If my distance vision is corrected, I’ll gladly use readers as needed.

• Like 2

Well They told me that you can get the close up lens or the far away lens and Medicare pays the price. However if you get the lens that does both it will cost me $1,800.00.

I've been thinking on it for about 2 years now.

JJK

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, grasshopper said:

if they are polarized [which they prolly are] you may see rainbows when looking through tinted windows

Haven’t had any problems with that. I got frames with pretty large lens, to go with my freakishly large head, and fairly flat also😎!

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, mr clean said:

The wife had cataract surgery. They really talk it up but the wife now has dry eye, and still wears glasses. I’m sure every case is different but she told me she would not have had it done. Not yet anyway.

Is your wife still using post surgery drops? They can sometimes worsen an existing dry eye condition.  Did the ophthalmologist recommend a trial with cyclosporine? The latter is often very helpful in dry eye patients.

Maynard

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Is your wife still using post surgery drops? They can sometimes worsen an existing dry eye condition.  Did the ophthalmologist recommend a trial with cyclosporine? The latter is often very helpful in dry eye patients.

Maynard

She is not using the post surgery drops. I will tell her about drops you recommended. I use a drop of castor oil in my eyes before going to bed. She won’t try it but it helps me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Had cataract surgery on my right eye on Wednesday.  The color difference is remarkable, as most predicted.  So far no problems.  I get the left eye done a week from Wednesday.  I wish I’d done this sooner.

About 22 years ago, I was photographer/manager of an "Instant Digital Photo" setup inside Domino's Farms in Ann Arbor. The White Bearded Man, hired by my boss to be in the the St. Nicholas costume was THE  Retired Cinematographer for the George Perot Weekly Travelogue show in the Sixties (which sold more Color TV's in the Detroit Area than any other place in the country). He told me a very wise thing during our many great conversations and this is the one that really stuck with me: "You gotta be TOUGH to get old!"

• Like 6

My cataract surgery experience went so well, I wish I didn’t have to wait two weeks to get the second eye done.  While it’s great to not need to immediately locate my glasses when getting out of bed,  it’s annoying and tiresome to see well out of the corrected eye, but not the remaining eye.  A week from Wednesday can’t get here too quickly.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...