Impedance Curve for Cornwall IV

C10

I can’t help you with the info, but if you need this to assist with pairing an amp I can tell you I achieve extremely loud levels in a 15x26 room with only 14 watts. Nice tight bass and extended highs, no apparent dips.

So my informal assessment is that the impedance curve is pretty flat.

8 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I can’t help you with the info, but if you need this to assist with pairing an amp I can tell you I achieve extremely loud levels in a 15x26 room with only 14 watts. Nice tight bass and extended highs, no apparent dips.

So my informal assessment is that the impedance curve is pretty flat.

Reason for asking is mostly to see if there are any dips that would make the 4 OHM tap on my amp preferable to the 8 OHM tap (tube amp), even though they are nominally rated 8 OHM. My guess is that it dips some in the bass, since using the 4 OHM tap seems to tighten it up some. Just curious to what the measurements say and whether or not they confirm my ears.

Hi @C10

I have CWIIIs, but I imagine the curve is almost the same at K33E. My experience with my McIntosh MC2125: it works better and the sound is better on the 8ohms terminals, because on the 4ohms terminals the sound is softer in the bass, but beware this is only valid for CWIII + MC2125 and also for my ears.

I think the wiser will be to listen to the wedding with your amp first in 4 ohms, then in 8 ohms and your ears will easily choose for you which you prefer. Technically no problem to connect in 4 ohms or 8 ohms it is just the quality of the restitution which will change.

The curve of CWIII, for the moment impossible to find the curve of CWIV on the net

https://www.audioreview.it/wp-content/uploads/prove/storiche/klipsch-cornwall-iii.html/misure-cornwell.jpg

https://www.audioreview.it/prove/storiche/klipsch-cornwall-iii.html

50 minutes ago, C10 said:

Reason for asking is mostly to see if there are any dips that would make the 4 OHM tap on my amp preferable to the 8 OHM tap (tube amp), even though they are nominally rated 8 OHM. My guess is that it dips some in the bass, since using the 4 OHM tap seems to tighten it up some. Just curious to what the measurements say and whether or not they confirm my ears.

what  kind of amp are using ---- brand model ---wpc  --a tube amp  from china ,  4 ohms  --

35 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Understood. I have tried both taps but prefer the 8 ohm. Matter of taste I suppose.

4 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

Hi @C10

I have CWIIIs, but I imagine the curve is almost the same at K33E. My experience with my McIntosh MC2125: it works better and the sound is better on the 8ohms terminals, because on the 4ohms terminals the sound is softer in the bass, but beware this is only valid for CWIII + MC2125 and also for my ears.

I think the wiser will be to listen to the wedding with your amp first in 4 ohms, then in 8 ohms and your ears will easily choose for you which you prefer. Technically no problem to connect in 4 ohms or 8 ohms it is just the quality of the restitution which will change.

The curve of CWIII, for the moment impossible to find the curve of CWIV on the net

https://www.audioreview.it/wp-content/uploads/prove/storiche/klipsch-cornwall-iii.html/misure-cornwell.jpg

https://www.audioreview.it/prove/storiche/klipsch-cornwall-iii.html

Thanks fo the data point! Agree on the ears thing. 4 does sound better to me in the bass. Sounds clearer/more defined than 8. The difference it subtle though. Reason for the wanting the curve is mostly to see if it corroborates what I am hearing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

what  kind of amp are using ---- brand model ---wpc  --a tube amp  from china ,  4 ohms  --

It is a tubes4hifi/Bob Latino VTA-70 with KT-66 that I built from kit. Has 8 and 4 ohm taps. Approx. 35 WPC in UL mode and ~20 WPC in Triode mode.

Edited by C10
typo
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, C10 said:

It is a tubes4hifi/Bob Latino VTA-70 with KT-66 that I built from kit. Has 8 and 4 ohm taps. Approx. 35 WPC in UL mode and ~20 WPC in Triode mode.

wow ,  so a very good amplifier --------you can reach out to Bob --he usually answers quite rapidly ---you say the bass is tighter with 4 ohms - so 4 ohms seems to suit both the amp and the speakers -  either way the CW IV can handle quite a lot more power -

On 5/27/2021 at 7:10 PM, mustang_flht said:

Hello,

here it is:

https://osirisaudio.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Stereoplay-Klipsch-Cornwall-Mk-4-stereoplay-2020-02_lowresTT-Standlautsprecher_pdf.pdf

I have the review of the CWIII from this magazine too, the impedance curve of both is relativ similar. Only a little different in the frequency range from 700Hz to 5kHz but nothing real important IMO. The frequency response it much more different between the two models.

• Thanks 1