X-curve for KPT 396

• Moderators

Hi @IndyHT80 welcome to the Forum. I splint this into a new thread because the one you responded to was 5 years old. If you don't get much in the way of responses here we can move this to either the tech/mods section or the Pro Speakers section.

@Chris A may have some thoughts on where this would be best to go and the easiest way to get you some amswers.

On 5/30/2021 at 12:00 PM, IndyHT80 said:

Is this an easy process? I am thinking about getting the Klipsch KPT-396 and it has a curved baked in as well.

I'd be interested in this as well.  The forum member that figured out the defeat on the 100s is no longer with us.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The forum member that figured out the defeat on the 100s is no longer with us.

That was easy with a single jumper. Does the 396 actually have that in the crossover? I didn't see it mentioned in the literature.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Marvel said:

That was easy with a single jumper. Does the 396 actually have that in the crossover? I didn't see it mentioned in the literature.

Installing the jumper was easy.  Figuring out where to put it was what Bob did and shared.  There was no jumper or mention of a jumper in the 100s till I sent Bob one of mine and he figured out how to do it.

I haven't had the crossovers out of my 396's but if they do indeed have the X curve built in and someone figures out how to defeat it, I'd pull mine and do it.

• Like 1

I don't understand why it would be built into the crossover, since it was something that was done in theaters for consistency, rolling off the frequencies above 2K at 3 db per octave. Different rooms would need different rolloff, which should be measured in room.

On 5/30/2021 at 1:00 PM, IndyHT80 said:

Is this an easy process? I am thinking about getting the Klipsch KPT-396 and it has a curved baked in as well.

Welcome to the forum...

Would you mind giving us the source of this information?

@IndyHT80 

Not certain it would be the case.

Have doubts...

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I don't understand why it would be built into the crossover, since it was something that was done in theaters for consistency, rolling off the frequencies above 2K at 3 db per octave. Different rooms would need different rolloff, which should be measured in room.

Not sure but it was definitely built in to the crossover.  I seem to remember something I read at one point about multiple speakers increasing the high end but don't remember specifics.

• Moderators

The KPT 100 was a THX Certified speaker, and had the standard ISO 2969 de-emphasis built in. That was all stated in the product literature. 

The KPT-396 doesn't mention that it conforms to ISO 2969 and I don't think it has any curve baked in, or otherwise. 

I think the answer will be that there isn't a curve to worry about, and the only thing to do is find a sub to keep up with them.

• Like 2

This from the link about:

Unfortunately I think Klipsch Reference is noticeably bright in this same range by default which goes back to my original point. This sounds great on low'ish volume music, very colorful. I also think it could do more damage than intended with high volume movies. I thought the fatiguing stuff was higher though. The big compression drivers on the cinema line doesn't seem to have quite the same signature in terms of fatigue. That's why I keep eyeballing the KI-396's. I know that compression driver works and doesn't rip your head off. Otherwise I probably need to get a 10 channel MiniDSP and outboard all my amps so I can control the response of everything.

Edited November 22, 2015 by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

The kpt396 does not have the x curve. The only surrounds that do are those that are thx approved. 

There you go @IndyHT80, you got the official word from the Chief. You can take that to the bank.

Now all you need to do is have @Trey Cannon help you pair up an 1802 with that and you will be in business.