Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
joessportster

Cheap as HECK SET amp SOLD

Recommended Posts

Selling my DG-SE1 EL84 pure Class A, Single Ended amp It started life as a Magnavox Design. They have a huge thread over on AK about the Mods and results. This particular amp was scratch built has all new X-Formers etc... Uses a pair of EL84 (RCA Included that measure 90+ on my Tester) it uses the 12A-7 Variant driver tubes, I will include a vintage 12ax7 which offers the most gain (I personally preferred a 12au7) I am also including a Dumont 5ar4 rectifier. There is a schematic of the design attached to the bottom plate inside the amp. 

 

I am Selling the ugly duckling for 350.00, Plus shipping.  On this amp.  I will only accept Friends and Family because of the DIY nature and appearance of the amp, I do guarantee it will not be DOA beyond that its AS IS. I have no reason to believe this amp will not last for years I have played it several times for 4-5 hours straight without any issues. It holds Bias well

 

Bias is to be set at 5.6 VDC up to a max of 5.85 VDC The Bias being lower or higher can theoretically change the sound, I personally like to stress my tubes less and set all my amps on the low side of Bias.......................You will need a multi meter that measures DC,  there are test ports on top of the amp along with Pots to adjust the Bias 

 

The amp is 100% functional, and IMHO you will have to spend a considerable amount more to get better SQ.......................I have no use for 4 different EL84 amps, My other amps do not necessarily sound better they did however cost 3X as much

 

Link to the thread discussing the amp's   https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/magnavox-flea-power-getting-more-out-of-the-8600-series-a-lot-more.665735/

 

DGSE1.PNG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a Franken-Amp. Not really, good job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RickD said:

Looks like a Franken-Amp. Not really, good job.

`How the hell would you know ?  I would pit this amps sound against anything 1K and below......................Its not a beauty queen but it sure sounds beautiful. Which is what audio is supposed to be about !!!!!!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking unit!

GLWS

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering how well it would sound on a pair of Klipsch H1’s


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DG is Dave Gillespie.

Dave is no slouch when it comes to tube audio.

 

He seen/read all the hype on AK about these little Magnavox 8600 series console amplifiers.

Curious, he picked up one to see what the big deal was about.

He wasn't too impressed with a bone stock Magnavox circuit, so he built his own...DG-SE1.

 

My friend up north picked the EFB (enhanced fixed bias) circuit for a Dynaco ST-35 amplifier project.

He really likes how the EFB works with the amplifier, and very very happy with the sound.

 

Daves Store: Dynaco SCA-35 ST-35 EFB Upgrades and Restoration (tronola.com)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

DG is Dave Gillespie.

Dave is no slouch when it comes to tube audio.

 

He seen/read all the hype on AK about these little Magnavox 8600 series console amplifiers.

Curious, he picked up one to see what the big deal was about.

He wasn't too impressed with a bone stock Magnavox circuit, so he built his own...DG-SE1.

 

My friend up north picked the EFB (enhanced fixed bias) circuit for a Dynaco ST-35 amplifier project.

He really likes how the EFB works with the amplifier, and very very happy with the sound.

 

Daves Store: Dynaco SCA-35 ST-35 EFB Upgrades and Restoration (tronola.com)

 

 

Appreciate all the comments and really appreciate the link to Daves site. I was not aware he had a website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billybob said:

Nice looking unit!

GLWS

Thats what she said  🤣

 

AMP IS SOLD Pending funds

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think it’s an ugly duckling at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 001 said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Your right beauty is in the Eye of the beholder, But this was an add selling an amp, It in no ways asks, nor needs anyone's negative comments about their OPINION of what the amp looks like. If you don't like it, Move along and keep your ill informed comments too yourself. Its called curtesy, Seems some folks have no concept of the word or use there of. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Foot-in-mouth

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, joessportster said:

Your right beauty is in the Eye of the beholder, But this was an add selling an amp, It in no ways asks, nor needs anyone's negative comments about their OPINION of what the amp looks like. If you don't like it, Move along and keep your ill informed comments too yourself. Its called curtesy, Seems some folks have no concept of the word or use there of. 

Joe , it was not a negative comment , but humor-You said it was ugly in a joke fashion , same thing , for me :biggrin:   ---have a Great Day  :emotion-50:   Bro-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 001 said:

Joe , it was not a negative comment , but humor-You said it was ugly in a joke fashion , same thing , for me :biggrin:   ---have a Great Day  :emotion-50:   Bro-

The overall meaning of my comment was not directed at you but the new member RickD's comment. My calling the amp Ugly was enough about the appearance. I also made it clear that the sound was superb . I selling the amp on that merit,  I will also add that if sound were the only merit to sell an amp, I would have asked 1000.00 for the amp it is that good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joessportster said:

The overall meaning of my comment was not directed at you but the new member RickD's comment.

understood ---TX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2021 at 10:29 AM, joessportster said:

`How the hell would you know ?  I would pit this amps sound against anything 1K and below......................Its not a beauty queen but it sure sounds beautiful. Which is what audio is supposed to be about !!!!!!!!

Humor me! I was referring to the nuts and bolts on your amp . I am working on a 300B OTL amp for my Khorns. I've run into two problems. I seem to be out of space in the chassis for the big caps in the bridge rectifier circuit and I've developed hand tremors which makes soldering difficult. Four 300B tubes per channel  will produce 1.5 watts which should be adequate for Khorns. DC filaments will eliminate any hum from the tubes. Three cabinets, one for toroidal coils and one per channel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...