CF-2 Horn problem

Video

Watch that...

Its natural resonance is somewhere around 195Hz. Makes gnarly  snapping noises with the right material.

I've  pulled it apart, didn't see any foriegn  stuff  in the voice coil, or wear spots. 

Bad driver or?

Thanks.

I’ve used a business card and would curve it and slide if into the slot that the coil rides into. And I would pull stuff out that I could not see.

Maybe give that a try. If you have not already done so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

To be honest, I think the voice coil is warped, it didn't seem to go back together 'clean'.  If it was a game of operation, I woulda lost. 😉

I'll do some more testing on it as time allows.

Since these are unobtanium, what's a good replacement? This?

• Like 1

I’m curious as to what led to this. Did you just turn the system on one morning and it started happening, or was it while you were jamming - like pretty hard maybe. 

What’s weird is that your tapping is acting as a source. I mean, I get it, a loudspeaker is an inverse microphone, but how is that tapping being amplified?

We don't usually ever turn it up that much, it's a small room, and small children almost always around.  
Unless one of the replacement caps in the crossover went bad, and too much low frequency is getting up in there.  Suppose I could run some tones through it and measure some voltages at some point.
As far as amplification goes, it's a horn.  It doesn't take much motion at the voice coil to make a lot of noise, right?

19 hours ago, DirtyErnie said:

Video

Watch that...

Its natural resonance is somewhere around 195Hz. Makes gnarly  snapping noises with the right material.

I've  pulled it apart, didn't see any foriegn  stuff  in the voice coil, or wear spots. 

Bad driver or?

Thanks.

remove all drivers ----inspect each driver for a loose component  ---if all is fine on the drivers /  step2)- inspect the cabinet  for a loose panel or bracket -molding etc -

1 hour ago, 001 said:

remove all drivers ----inspect each driver for a loose component  ---if all is fine on the drivers /  step2)- inspect the cabinet  for a loose panel or bracket -molding etc -

Did that, it's DEFINITELY coming from the throat of the horn.

• 2 years later...

Finally updating this one, turned out the baffle hold-down screws were stripped and loose.  I drilled the holes out, plugged them with 1.4" dowel, and used some bigger flanged-head deck screws to secure the front plates.  Problem solved, things is solid now.