Jump to content

Finally ordered a pair of Cornwall IVs


Recommended Posts

Having considered my options for quite some time now I finally decided to get a pair of Cornwalls in walnut. Walnut was actually the only option my dealer could offer at this point, next delivery from Klipsch is due in September (I’m in Europe). Hope they will look nice once they are in place. 
 

I’ve tried JBLs (L100 and 4349, both nice but not really great, preferred the latter) and Dynaudio Confidence 20s, and at the same time I’ve been reading about the Cornwalls but thought that maybe they are too big, maybe too bright?  
 

But according to what I’ve read, they seem like a very nice match for what I’m looking for in a speaker. So, only one way to find out! I would have preferred to audition a pair but my dealer even sold his demo pair due to high demand. 
 

Expectations are high (as is excitement), hopefully within a week or so, I’ll be able to finally enjoy the Cornwalls. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, certainly looking forward to finally have them in place. Funny thing is, despite trying other speakers, I’ve had a picture of Cornwalls as my screen saver so I guess that means I don’t dislike the way they look. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats on your purchase. September is a long time to wait. 🙁

 

I think they are very elegant looking speakers in the classic sense. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with the looks or the performance.

 

Shakey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Congrats on your purchase. September is a long time to wait. 🙁

 

I think they are very elegant looking speakers in the classic sense. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed with the looks or the performance.

 

Shakey

Thanks, Shakey. Will post pictures and feedback as soon as they are in place. It’ll be a test for my Mark Levinson no 432, hugely overpowered at 2x400 W, hopefully it’s quiet enough. Plan to change it for something else in the future, my dealer suggested a First Watt F7. I guess a decent tube amp would do great as well. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The speakers arrived this morning! They are now in place and I’m eager to try them out in the evening. 
 

One box was damaged, there was a hole of about 6x4” but luckily there was no visible damage to the speaker. 
 

One question, the rubber rings for the magnetic grilles, is it necessary to remove those? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, John Ek said:

The speakers arrived this morning! They are now in place and I’m eager to try them out in the evening. 
 

One box was damaged, there was a hole of about 6x4” but luckily there was no visible damage to the speaker. 
 

One question, the rubber rings for the magnetic grilles, is it necessary to remove those? 

 

Wow, September came early!

 

Yes  you can remove those. They are there for shipping only.

 

Keep us posted on what you think.

 

Shakey

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations on the new Cornwalls!  That's exciting.  Looking forward to your impressions after listening for a couple of days.  What other finish were you considering had you chosen to wait for the next delivery?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First impressions are, with the speakers basically flushed against the back wall, very slightly toed in, amazing! Definitely exceeding my expectations. 
 

i was worried that they would be bright, Definitely not so. 
 

I was worried they might not look good in my room.  Well, they don’t, they are simply too big. Kind of awful actually. My wife hates them. 
 

But the way they make music! I immediately fell in love with these speakers. They are more fun than all of my recent , previous speakers (JBL L100 and 4349, Dynaudio confidence 20 and Genelec 8050). It’s not only that they are fun to listen to, they are, but they are also very nicely balanced and great with voices. 


The only problem I have encountered so far is a hum when connecting my preamp to the AV Receiver, phono and CD inputs are silent. I guess it’s due to the efficiency of the speakers, any suggestion on how to connect the receiver(it only has RCA out) are appreciated. . 
 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it's a receiver then it has speaker level outputs, so connect directly. That will be fine till you can get something better.

 

Try pulling them off the wall a little, ten inches to a ft. or so. Keep playing with position, a little change can make a big difference.

 

Shakey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, John Ek said:

The only problem I have encountered so far is a hum when connecting my preamp to the AV Receiver, phono and CD inputs are silent. I guess it’s due to the efficiency of the speakers, any suggestion on how to connect the receiver(it only has RCA out) are appreciated. . 

 

 

Congrats on the Cornwall IV  ,  

 

  for the hum , does it  go away once the preamp is hooked up , or is it constant -    what model-brand preamp is it ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

Congrats on the Cornwall IV  ,  

 

  for the hum , does it  go away once the preamp is hooked up , or is it constant -    what model-brand preamp is it ?

Thanks! These speakers are among the best speakers I’ve heard, it’s amazing what they do. 
 

The preamp is a Mark Levinson 326 and the receiver (Marantz, only used as a HDMI switch) is connected via it’s pre-amp ou to the ML in HT pass-through. Strangely, the hum is there as soon as I switch to that particular input on the ML, regardless of the Marantz being switched on or not. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, John Ek said:

Thanks! These speakers are among the best speakers I’ve heard, it’s amazing what they do. 
 

The preamp is a Mark Levinson 326 and the receiver (Marantz, only used as a HDMI switch) is connected via it’s pre-amp ou to the ML in HT pass-through. Strangely, the hum is there as soon as I switch to that particular input on the ML, regardless of the Marantz being switched on or not. 

-As a 1st step  ----please remove  the ML326 and test  the Marantz receiver 's preamp with the klipsch speakers to determine if in fact , the hum is still present /or not -

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2021 at 8:04 PM, John Ek said:

The only problem I have encountered so far is a hum when connecting my preamp to the AV Receiver, phono and CD inputs are silent. I guess it’s due to the efficiency of the speakers, any suggestion on how to connect the receiver(it only has RCA out) are appreciated. . 


Do you have Cable going to the AV receiver…? If so disconnect the Cable to the receiver and see if the hum goes away. If so you have a ground loop issue most likely and would probably benefit from a ground isolation device.

 

miketn


 

https://www.parts-express.com/Jensen-Iso-Max-VRD-1FF-75-Ohm-Inline-Digital-CATV-Isolator-H-246-0121?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvdeuyq6T8QIVpG5vBB2s7QivEAQYASABEgIgevD_BwE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2021 at 5:04 PM, John Ek said:

I was worried they might not look good in my room.  Well, they don’t, they are simply too big. Kind of awful actually. My wife hates them. 

So will they be staying? If not I personally would not bother chasing down a ground loop. That's just one man's opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats!!!   Awesome speaker for sure.   Cornwalls aren't really known for high WAF but hopefully she will appreciate the awesome sound they deliver.   Enjoy !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 7:37 AM, babadono said:

So will they be staying? If not I personally would not bother chasing down a ground loop. That's just one man's opinion.

These will definitely stay. Just love the tonality and the impact. Awesome speakers. I’m considering to replace the receiver by new Bluesound node (as it has HDMI). I don’t need a receiver anyway. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 2:41 AM, mikebse2a3 said:


Do you have Cable going to the AV receiver…? If so disconnect the Cable to the receiver and see if the hum goes away. If so you have a ground loop issue most likely and would probably benefit from a ground isolation device.

 

miketn


 

https://www.parts-express.com/Jensen-Iso-Max-VRD-1FF-75-Ohm-Inline-Digital-CATV-Isolator-H-246-0121?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvdeuyq6T8QIVpG5vBB2s7QivEAQYASABEgIgevD_BwE

Yes, I guess this might be the issue as it’s not really that prominent when the AV receiver is off. Seems like it’s more prominent also when using the Apple TV as compared to the STB. Everything is however grounded properly, not sure what else I can do (apart from be switching  the receiver that I don’t really need). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, John Ek said:

These will definitely stay. Just love the tonality and the impact. Awesome speakers. I’m considering to replace the receiver by new Bluesound node (as it has HDMI). I don’t need a receiver anyway. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. 

I got my new Bluesound Node today. It replaces my Node2i. The sound difference is more than significant. It's almost unbelievable what you get for 560€.
My recommendation, do not buy the Node where it is cheapest but where you have good service. Fortunately, that's what I did.
The dealer told me that they had to send back a whole batch because wifi does not work at all.
Now about my Node. The wifi works only "half". I can listen to the radio online but it doesn't show any music services. I was able to set up and load everything perfectly via LAN cable. But music services are not recognized over wifi and wifi does not show essential things like version, wifi connection, and updates are not possible etc.

In summary, my Node must unfortunately go back tomorrow. The 2i worked without any problems. But the new Node has a much better fantastic sound. My old Lascalas have revealed it.

Better have your dealer check the wifi function before they ship it to you. I would rather have a checked unit as a replacement and not an unopened one.

My guess, the Node updated itself right after I plugged it in and something went wrong. If you start it for the first time, better do it via LAN cable which is my approach next time.
My optical input (TV) does not work either.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...