K Horn K33J not responding

GandL

Hello all....looking for advice

Just recently got a set of '63 K Horns...they both have the k33J woofer. 1 speaker works great....the other's woofer is not functioning. I was not getting any resistance on the wire from the woofer to the terminal so I changed it out to see if it was a bad wire and re soldered everything... Still nothing. Switched the crossover (Type 1) from the working speaker to the non working one...still no woofer so I think that should rule out the crossover.

Is there any chance of fixing this?

Will any K33 woofer work to possibly replace this? Or should they be bought in pairs?

Thanks a bunch for the info! 

• Like 1

There are other ways to check the woofer. Will let others tell you 

I would bypass crossover myself and go directly from an amp at low volume but, that is just me.

An ohms check with a meter is usually the case or just checking for rubbing of the voice coil, or just visible damage.

Think I have even seen a fuse in a woofer driver before. Cannot say more but if no action here to troubleshoot problem, moderator has the power to move this to the technical forum here 

Good fortune... @GandL

• Like 1

Check the resistance of the woofer alone.  Should be the same as the other one.  Any K-33 will work.  Crites Speakers has woofers built to match early K-33s.  There have been small changes over the years.  Optimum would be another K-33-J; check ebay. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GandL said:

Ok pulled the woofer and it looks like a mouse ate away at the surround. Would this cause why i'm not reading anything at the woofer terminals....would a re cone solve this?

Thanks as always.

k331.jpg

Did the mouse chew or break any wires you can see going from the terminals on the speaker to the voice coil?

@GandL

You are showing the voice coil as open?  The visible damage would not cause an open voicecoil.  However, a needle drop might do both.  LOL!

*IF* you can find a correct recone, it will fix all your problems. 

On 6/6/2021 at 7:01 PM, GandL said:

.would a re cone solve this?

Thanks as always.

a new recone KIT would be like rebuilding a new woofer --you must scrape of everything down to the bare steel basket , then rebuild with a new spider-cone-voice coil , but you may not find an original recone kit , except for aftermarket ---might as well order 2 kits , and do an inspection of the 2nd woofer --just in case

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

You are showing the voice coil as open?  The visible damage would not cause an open voicecoil.  However, a needle drop might do both.  LOL!

*IF* you can find a correct recone, it will fix all your problems. 

Or a Space X launch. Have some 12" woofers in a box here and they did just fine with everything until the rocket. Those cones were jumping so hard I figured it was all over.

One thing to remember on the recone....as I understand it, these had 4 ohm voice coils specified by Klipsch (and special treated surrounds?)  Most recone kits would likely be the more common 16 ohms which won't be the right value for the stock xovers.

You may find it easier to replace both with new Crites stamped steel basket woofers (matched pair).

15PLL Bell Cover.jpg

• Like 1

I agree with the "replace both" advice given above.  Keep both of the originals, so that a new owner in the future can make the decision on an "original" rebuild.  Or you might want to go down that path yourself some time in the future.

• Like 1

Ok...I have it at a speaker repair shop here in San Antonio....they said they could do the recone.....we'll see what happens when it comes back. Would a standard K33E re cone kit work for this?

Assuming that is what they will try and find.

Thanks for the info everyone! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 6:53 PM, GandL said:

Ok...I have it at a speaker repair shop here in San Antonio....they said they could do the recone.....we'll see what happens when it comes back. Would a standard K33E re cone kit work for this?

Assuming that is what they will try and find.

Thanks for the info everyone! 

not sure the K33E has the same size voice coil than a K33 J  , but you can always ask the repair shop as to , what  kind of recone kit , they will be using-

• Like 1