Odd Happenings on NEW tube Monos ?

joessportster

First setup: 

Speakers NEW 97.8db 1w1m, 18" single driver, ( https://www.lii-audio.com/product/one-pair-18-inch-full-range-speakers-superb-scale-soundstage-with-new-imaging-f-18/)

Amps are NEW Quicksilver Horn Monos,  (http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/horn-mono-amp/ )

Pre is Schiit Sys Passive, (https://www.schiit.com/products/sys)

Source is Line Magnetic LM502ca DAC, (https://www.line-magnetic.eu/images/line-magnetic/pdf/Manual-LM-502CA-web.pdf)

Scenario: Listening to this setup last night John Lee Hooker, The Healer, "Dream" At approk 40 seconds John sings Dreeeeeeeeaaaaaaammmmmmm its rather low tone wise, I get distortion from the left speaker. I replay that same part of the song and the distortion repeats same as before, I try it a few more times and every time same results. I switch tracks to some recorded Sine Waves I Have and that speaker goes crazy buzzing / distorting. The other driver sounds fine no issues at all. I am thinking bad driver at this point so I clean the gap on the driver Try the tones again and the problem remains. I give up for the night resigned to the fact I will need a replacement driver

This morning I remove the drivers from the baffles and decide to try them open air, Problem remains much as it was the night before. I decide to swap drivers from side to side fully expecting the problem to switch sides. IT DOES NOT, The issue remained on the left. Damn must be a NEW tube swap the power tubes Problem stays on the left side. Swap the driver tubes, problem stays on the left side. That leaves the amp itself.  I swap amps and the problem is gone.......................😒

Now the question. as the Drivers are very sensitive and the amps have LOW Gain one would think match made in heaven. With the little SYS Passive and the volume at 90+ percent of max. Could the amp be clipping ?  Why wouldn't both amps Clip at more or less the same point ?

I put this setup together HOPING for a single source with no gain other than the amps, and as short a chain as possible.

Thoughts appreciated, before I contact Mike Sanders I was hoping someone here might have some insight

Joe

4 hours ago, joessportster said:

I swap amps and the problem is gone.......................😒

Now the question. as the Drivers are very sensitive and the amps have LOW Gain one would think match made in heaven. With the little SYS Passive and the volume at 90+ percent of max. Could the amp be clipping ?  Why wouldn't both amps Clip at more or less the same point ?

I doubt the suspect amplifier issue is from clipping....as both should start clipping at the same point/time.

You swapped the amplifiers and the problem went away, after ruling out everything else with regard to speakers, power tubes, driver tubes.

Considering you recently purchased the amplifiers new, I would get ahold of Mike Sanders.

He may help with you with troubleshooting/diagnostics, and give him an idea what's wrong with the suspect amplifier.

• Like 1

Ive done both, swapping left and right of the horn monos, and tried different all together. I have used the same track and the sine waves. It has not presented itself again. Loose connection ? what ever it was everything sounds fine now

21 hours ago, Schu said:

I've seen, as I am sure you have, that new doesn't always mean functioning properly... specially on parts that you, as the builder, didn't make yourself.

I'm just sayin.

Mike Sanders supposedly listens and tests each amp prior to leaving his shop. I am sure though a part could fail. but as everything sounds fine I am thinking it was a fluke more than anything

Joe

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...