How do I get bass out of Klipsch Cornwall IV?

I have a Primaluna Evo 400 playing thru my Forte IVs and they pump out plenty of bass so I doubt the very efficient Cornwalls have a problem with your integrated Primaluna. I now am running kt150s but when I was playing the el34s there was plenty of mid and low bass to fill my room. Your pl should not be bass shy with kt120s.

I am a bass head though and I think every system can benefit from a good sub and having that lower octave makes everything about the Forte IVs sound better. This is probably true with cornwalls as well. 

hope you get this sorted out soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Speaker placement can make a difference.

Yep, I’ve heard about that 😬

5 hours ago, Square Ian said:

All the speaker placements. Listening position is 13’ from the wall by speakers, speakers are 10’ apart center-on-center:

1. Against the wall flat.
  2. Against the wall toed in slightly.
  3. 10” off the wall flat.
  4. 10” off the wall slightly toed in.
  5. 3’ off the wall flat.
  6. 3’ off the wall, toed in with all the angles, including where their center lines cross 3’ in front of listening position.

• Like 1

Nobody mentioned the room as the culprit?!

My opinion; you can't screw up the speaker; either the woofer's moving or it's not.

Speaker cables, amps; ain't gonna make a difference.

Maybe your other speakers artificially accentuate the bass, whereas the Cornwalls run flatter on the frequency response curve?

I say it's the room.

10 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I say it's the room.

If it’s the room, the Cornwalls are going back — I like the room just as it is. The room doesn’t cause my Dynaudios to sound like the kick drum is coming from the neighbor’s speaker.

Edited by Square Ian
grammar

7 hours ago, Square Ian said:
  • Denafrips Aries II
  • 20” iFi RCA. I’ve got custom built RCA 20’ RCA replacement arriving next week.

Just to clarify is the custom built RCA 20’ or 20”..?  

20’ of RCA cable could cause frequency response issues due to excessive total cable capacitance.

Curious is your listening room very live (ie: mostly hard surfaces or does it have a balance of soft surfaces ( like cloth furniture... etc) ..?

Pictures of the room might help us understand what you’re dealing with.

miketn

• Like 1

You've got two completely different speakers here: The Dynaudio has two smaller woofers high off the floor, with a likely floor level port. While the Cornwall has floor level venting (not ports) the immensely larger single woofer is near floor level. I'm thinking it's either some sort of room cancellation of bass frequencies or floor bounce nullifying. Maybe the 15" woofer moves TOO MUCH air, causing some anomaly. Just for kicks, I'd suggest inverting the speakers and seeing if the bass response changes. I'm not suggesting you leave them that way, just experiment.

The efficiency and frequency response of the Cornwall beats the Dynaudio performance by a mile and speakers are pretty foolproof in construction. I can't imagine the factory 'effed something up.

I"m also of the school that there's a difference in bass sounds with ported speakers vs. vented speakers. The vents on the Cornwall total much more area than the Dynaudio port. For sure, any bass port or vent has to be designed to enhance the specific speaker's design parameters, and I feel vented speakers, with their larger square area, sound different than ported ones.

• Like 2

Can you leave your system on while you’re at work?  That will build up the hours more quickly.  Speakers never sound their best right out of the box.  Nor do most transducers, including phono cartridges.  Moving parts need to loosen up before they perform at their best.

• Like 1

Some thing else is going on here I think. Borrow a 70s reciever and try that. A friend of mine bought a new high priced Yamaha amp and my HK430 kicked its butt...lol. So you may need to check wiring  again to make sire everything is right. Jumpers...polarity...etc. 

Much like that guy on youtube found out....''Soundpolice'' ,,,,he found out he doesn't know a everything. He has even still got the K-horns he bought to close and some crap behind them instead of a solid wall. Yes he i still complaining about them also. 

So dont give up yet....where you located maybe a forum member could come by help you out. 

It's possible that there is absolutely nothing wrong, and that the OP simply doesn't like the character of the bass that the C4 provides. That is neither a judgment of the C4 nor of the OP. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricktate said:

A friend of mine bought a new high priced Yamaha amp and my HK430 kicked its butt.

Just curious, what does kicked it's butt mean?

49 minutes ago, Edgar said:

It's possible that there is absolutely nothing wrong, and that the OP simply doesn't like the character of the bass that the C4 provides.

Some speakers are voiced to emphasize the low end, midrange, or highs.  Maybe the Cornwall IVs are so well balanced that none of the frequency regions over power the other.

Bill

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

This very odd, some find the Cornwall bass almost too much in certain rooms.

We go through this about once a month now or more lately. Days pass and the buyer finally gets it.

Just about need a post pinned in alerts. Or just do a search here.

Cheers!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Square Ian said:

In an effort to stimulate the economy, I bought a pair of Klipsch Cornwall IVs. I was stoked to receive them, but upon hooking them up to my system, I was shocked by what seems like completely absent mid-lows / lows. I’ve been fiddling with all parts of my system, but without much success. Looking for advice on what else to try before I send these back.

Setup in order:

1. RoPieee

Don't know what this is

1. 2’ basic USB cable

Works or doesn't, shielded is better $20

1. Denafrips Aries II

R to R good DAC

1. 20” iFi RCA. I’ve got custom built RCA 20’ RCA replacement arriving next week.

Don't know what this is, Balanced cables ? or unbalanced doesn't matter

1. Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Integrated w/ “Tung-Sol” KT120s, well warmed-up. 40+ Watts / channel should be plenty on what are often referred to as “easy to drive” speakers.

Bass takes more energy, a lot of bass = a lot of energy

Some speakers are tuned to be bass heavy since people like a lot of bump these days

If everything tests fine, hook up a sub that you like that has hundreds of watts for bump

Heritage are built for dynamic, realistic, efficient aka lifelike voice and leading edge of the sound wave rise and fall

1. 10’ generic 16 gauge speaker wire w/ bare wire connections. I’ve got a pair of Canare 4s8 with spades for amp and bananas for speaker arriving next week.

16GA is fine with soldered on uber-cheapo spade connectors from the hardware store, soldered on and shrink wrapped. One red shrink one black shrink......

1. Cornwalls

See what the audio test turns up, could be a speaker defect, but unlikely they are swept at the factory as a best practice, they don't want DOAs or returns

1. 15’ x 19’ furnished living room

Not too small or too big