How do I get bass out of Klipsch Cornwall IV?

7 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

As a preamble, I must tell you that I am French so my English may not be subtle and I risk telling you things that are wrong and the opposite of what I think.

mustang_flht, I can only say that your English is excellent, but I am not a native English speaker. Certainly your English is better than mine. In cases where I am unsure re the translation, I go to "deepl.com" for help. At least I look for suggestions. The great thing is, you go with the cursor in the translated text and it pops up many alternatives, other vocabulary that are immediately offered with different sentence structure to choose from. deepl is a startup from my city Cologne, a very smart translation engine, worth a try. As a fun bonus, even the differentiation between UK or US English is offered.

https://www.deepl.com/translator

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The very reason I am a firm believer in tube stand alone amps. Mono blocks or 2 channel power amps. Then the all important preamplifier with tone controls. Even use the loudness contour on my McIntosh C20 and couple of Heathkit SP-2. My 1961 CW pair absolutely knock the socks off with a Dynaco ST-70 and any tube preamp I have. H H Scott 130, Heathkit SP-2 (2) PAS 2 un-modded.

The Aric Audio unlimited has less bass, no tone controls. 

On 6/9/2021 at 5:44 PM, mustang_flht said:

In any case this subject will certainly interest our other french friend @SpeedLimit who was also looking for more bass on his CWIV, especially when they were new.

👍

Yes mustang-flht, and i did it on my onken .. i have not tried on my cornwall IV ..  i will try it soon.

• Like 1

Hello mustang_flht, just a small remark, it does not seem to have heard that closing some of the vents made it possible to get more bass. It allowed me to further tighten the bass and not to go down lower in these.

But I will still try what you specified

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 1:09 PM, hogwylde09 said:

Then the all important preamplifier with tone controls.

On 6/9/2021 at 2:30 PM, Shakeydeal said:

No tone controls or other gee gaws for me, thank you.........

I get the anti-tone control folks but well designed/implemented tone controls like what the Yamaha A-S1000 through A-S3200 have are really nice and the "best" I have ever used.  Tiny adjustments really can make a difference(to me) without bloating or negatively transforming the character of the amp.

Bill

• Like 5

• Klipsch Employees

Unless all of your music is recorded well, then tone controls are necessary. I have music that I like to listen to that is not recorded very well (I don’t use it for voicing by the way).  And I have to use at least tone controls to make the music listenable and give it back some dynamic range. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And properly executed digital EQ (whether in the form of tone controls, parameteric equalizer, graphic equalizer, or anything else) are so good that they put analog EQ to shame. The old arguments against equalization are rapidly disappearing, for good reason.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Edgar said:

And properly executed digital EQ (whether in the form of tone controls, parameteric equalizer, graphic equalizer, or anything else) are so good that they put analog EQ to shame. The old arguments against equalization are rapidly disappearing, for good reason.

That is the other end of tone controls. In the analog world just a reasonable bass and treble adjustment is quite good. We do not correct the system but the mix of a tune.

• Klipsch Employees
45 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Well there eqing for the speaker and then there is eqing because the music is not recorded well. Actually, in the past, I used eq and expanders to bring some really bad cuts to life. But I would never use them to voice. The ref cuts I use to voice require no eq. They are recorded well and have very little compression. 

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees
17 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

Chief Bonehead at what model of tone control do you think? something like a dsp-408 perhaps or better ? 

i would like to find a McIntosh preamp like C33 ou C504 or similar, with the possibility to up some frequency range

The tone controls I have used at a minimum at home are at the preamp level. Remember I am old so I have a old Yamaha and others but I have also used the typical tone controls like on my onkyo. For re-recording songs that I really like I use mostly studio grade equipment. Mostly analog but these new dsp units and of course my old favorite, ev dx-38, sound very very good. The 4080 and some of the minidsp I play with have very good sounding filters/processing. The progress there has been very very good. 

• Like 3

Amen to that.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

The tone controls I have used at a minimum at home are at the preamp level. Remember I am old so I have a old Yamaha and others but I have also used the typical tone controls like on my onkyo. For re-recording songs that I really like I use mostly studio grade equipment. Mostly analog but these new dsp units and of course my old favorite, ev dx-38, sound very very good. The 4080 and some of the minidsp I play with have very good sounding filters/processing. The progress there has been very very good. 

Thanks you Chief bonehead

I am old too.😃

I will really try to find a preamp with tone controls like the McIntosh.

I have bought a dayton audio dsp-408 but he is noisy on my la Scala. Perhaps a problem with my actual preamp or bad wires.

3 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

Thanks you Chief bonehead

I am old too.😃

I will really try to find a preamp with tone controls like the McIntosh.

I have bought a dayton audio dsp-408 but he is noisy on my la Scala. Perhaps a problem with my actual preamp or bad wires.

From my experience the "affordable" dsp solutions are way too noisy for high sensitivity speakers.  It wasnt till i moved to the xillica 4080 before it all just worked and sound awesome.

• Like 1