How do I get bass out of Klipsch Cornwall IV?

21 hours ago, Square Ian said:

OP here, hi! After living with the CWs and trying everything (within reason), including using the cardboard boxes they came in as room treatment, I realized they don’t make the kind of sound I prefer. Not with my current system anyway. I did gain a new appreciation for my Dynaudios — I feel like they sound better now, so I’ve got that going for me :). Upscale Audio graciously agreed to take them back without too many questions (“did you try putting them against the wall,” etc.) The CWs are beautiful, and really make Gillian Welch sound like she’s in the room, but they’re just not the right speaker for me.

I’m out $450 for the return freight fees, and spent a couple hours arranging that freight but I don’t feel too badly about that. It was good to be able to try out something very different than I have.

Off to their next home..

E6CAB5A9-1065-4CFE-BD5F-46AD6C00CAB6.jpeg

Upscale Audio is a great high end audio dealer - glad you got your $$$ back and can now move on to something that gives you more audio satisfaction.

On 6/15/2021 at 1:05 PM, salbake said:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mcintosh-mac7200-stereo-receiver

Mine is almost double that weight. I think it sounds good. My fist next to the autoformer for size comparison. Link to Stereophile magazine review above. 🤷‍♂️

3B63A3B9-A0F3-480C-9577-56098D73F6D9.jpeg

DAMN GORGEOUS  ------------WOW ------Beautiful gear  ---if that does not wake up CW IV -----nothing will -

Get subwoofer for bass oh! But that may not work cuz this Cornwall 4 is bigger then most subwoofers 

the way I get the bass is I use a 5 inch bookshelf for mids and a 15 inch subwoofer for bass yeah my 15 inch subwoofer doesn’t play frequencies above 59Hz that makes my bass sound stand out very much from my bookshelf speakers very thick  bumping beats 

Edited by Seinbeans

51 minutes ago, Seinbeans said:

Get subwoofer for bass oh! But that may not work cuz this Cornwall 4 is bigger then most subwoofers 

the way I get the bass is I use a 5 inch bookshelf for mids and a 15 inch subwoofer for bass yeah my 15 inch subwoofer doesn’t play frequencies above 59Hz that makes my bass sound stand out very much from my bookshelf speakers very thick  bumping beats 

Spoken like a true 15 yr old……….

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Seinbeans said:

The Cornwall IV is bigger then most subwoofers  if this Cornwall IV can’t play bass sound then that means this Cornwall IV is not a good speaker

yes

I nominate this one for post of the year. Who’s with me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Klipsch is NOT known for Bass, thats just the way it is. Just as Cerwin Vegas are known to  NOT need a subwoofer , at all.  Klipsch can do Great Bass, but it requires trial and error of front end. I have heard my 30's sound anemic in bass, and belt it out too. The room has a huge effect even within different speakers. But the main thing is of course the pre stage and it's settings. The Great radios of the past and present included tone controls for a very good reason. I bet I could hook up my old Marantz or Pioneer or Sansui to those Cornwalls, you turn your head and hear loads of bass. I suggest streaming/playing Steely Dan, "Everything Must go" Godwhacker, if you cant get the bass where you want it...Corns ain't for you.........

Some CW IV  purchasers want punchy chest pounding bass -but the CW IV  's k-33 is not designed for such a high bass output -

if klipsch wanted to fill that void   they can use  the K-45 to deliver more slamming bass  in the  next , upcoming  CW V  -

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Klipsch is NOT known for Bass, thats just the way it is. Just as Cerwin Vegas are known to  NOT need a subwoofer , at all.  Klipsch can do Great Bass, but it requires trial and error of front end. I have heard my 30's sound anemic in bass, and belt it out too. The room has a huge effect even within different speakers. But the main thing is of course the pre stage and it's settings. The Great radios of the past and present included tone controls for a very good reason. I bet I could hook up my old Marantz or Pioneer or Sansui to those Cornwalls, you turn your head and hear loads of bass. I suggest streaming/playing Steely Dan, "Everything Must go" Godwhacker, if you cant get the bass where you want it...Corns ain't for you.........

„Everything Must go“ is one of my favorite songs ever.

• Like 1

Ok doke, you're "K horns say, Klipsch IS known for BASS"  Hey, they're your horns, you should know what they're saying to ya. But...the WORLD in GENERAL do not proclaim "Klipsch, Maaan, they are BassMonsters, everyone knows that...Of course I think some Klipsch do bass fine, it's not the "defining Characteristic". I will be happy to read the many threads proclaiming Klipsch legendary Bass output ??? I think Khorns, as some other Klipsch are GREAT speakers, pretty balanced overall, to me anyway..but NOT known for they're bass belting chops in my limited circles. Again....just me prolly but....I call em as I hear em. I have over 20 Klipsch speakers in my house, some do bass fine, most need a subwoofer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

The comments that Klipsch speakers are not known for bass are absurd.

JJK

I assume you will piont me to the many articles proclaiming their BASS prowess?? If you say Klipsch is widely known for their efficiency then that's a thing.......

My Lascalas have an outstanding quality in the bass. It's not always just about the cutoff frequency. It's about how the bass sounds in the frequency range you hear. The same is true for my Jubilees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1