How do I get bass out of Klipsch Cornwall IV?

Has anyone asked what the cornwall is being compared? Perhaps listener is accustomed to distorted or exagerated bass. I had a friend who said he didn't like Klipsch period. We had a few beverages and were listening to tunes when he finally realized it wasn't so much quantity of bass but quality of bass. This was on Belles and then he heard khorns. It took many listening sessions for him to realize what was up.

23 minutes ago, seti said:

it wasn't so much quantity of bass but quality of bass

Folks know I'm a funk head.  However, I'm not married to a subwoofer or try to have stunning results below 30Hz.  The bass I like is snappy from 40 to 80.

Sucha  song that has great snappy bass...a funk song...is "Heartbreaker" by ZAPP.  There is no low end....but has the funk bass that is fast.  This isn't bass guitar bass....although I like that too.

When guests are over and music is playing, it's common for them to be impressed when I turn the subs on and shake everything in the room.  Seriously though, I usually have them off when I'm sunk down in the chair listening on my own.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 001 said:

correct  -the k45 was designed by klipsch for better bass --it's in pretty much every 15 inch Pro klipsch speaker ,

Does not mean it will work in any old 15" hole it can fit in. Bad suggestion with no personal empirical experience. Used by Klipsch in cabinets expressly designed for them.

The CW4 is a remarkable engineered audio device that has had meticulous integration for every thing there. Sometimes I think unrealistic expectations are placed on speakers by buyers who should have listened to more examples of differing levels of capability.  KPT-942's come to mind.

• Like 1

I heard a rumor that because Klipsch speakers put out so much bass that Congress passed a law that says Klipsch much send all of their extra bass to a "Bass pool" available to other manufacturers for their use.

JJK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jwc said:

Folks know I'm a funk head.  However, I'm not married to a subwoofer or try to have stunning results below 30Hz.  The bass I like is snappy from 40 to 80.

Sucha  song that has great snappy bass...a funk song...is "Heartbreaker" by ZAPP.  There is no low end....but has the funk bass that is fast.  This isn't bass guitar bass....although I like that too.

When guests are over and music is playing, it's common for them to be impressed when I turn the subs on and shake everything in the room.  Seriously though, I usually have them off when I'm sunk down in the chair listening on my own.

Agreed. Average consumers are pretty much only impressed by room shaking bass. Since I took delivery of CWIVs almost a month ago: I've not watched a single movie, I've only listened to music and I've had my cheap Klipsch subs disconnected. 

Though I am sourcing a sub woofer amp to power two JL Audio 13w6 subs in a sealed enclosure I used to have in a truck. I've found the 1000 watt Dayton and am considering it strongly. Any other options that won't break the bank? 

44 minutes ago, CoryGillmore said:

Agreed. Average consumers are pretty much only impressed by room shaking bass. Since I took delivery of CWIVs almost a month ago: I've not watched a single movie, I've only listened to music and I've had my cheap Klipsch subs disconnected. 

Though I am sourcing a sub woofer amp to power two JL Audio 13w6 subs in a sealed enclosure I used to have in a truck. I've found the 1000 watt Dayton and am considering it strongly. Any other options that won't break the bank? 

The Dayton amp is nice but be careful not to overload. Don't let the load drop below 4 ohms. Been there fried that.

I still have one and like it very much but..... With those speakers you would have to run the voice coils in series or the drivers in series to avoid problems. It is very hard to get the smoke back into the wires.

The Crown XLS amps work well and handle the lower loads better. I have one of them that I abuse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

Average consumers are pretty much only impressed by room shaking bass.

And yet, if you pay attention to the real world in everyday life, you will notice something very profound: Bass is everywhere, but you don't notice it unless you specifically listen for it. Real-world bass is just "there". It doesn't overwhelm you or punch you in the gut. It just exists, effortlessly and unobtrusively.

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

Wow speak on that a little more! So he removed all the drivers, and I assume he wrapped the cabinet in some sort of plastic, a painstaking process I would imagine, then dunked it in water to see exactly how much water the cabinet holds? So he dunks it, pulls it out then drains the water into a giant measuring cup to see how much is in there? 

Or is it actually just measuring how much water the entire cabinet displaces? 

He is a PeePee surgeon, so he probably had one of his nurses wrap in in plastic, you know, like "stat"

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

So he dunks it, pulls it out then drains the water into a giant measuring cup to see how much is in there? 

He can answer better, but in terms of a submarine or a ship, you dunk, measure increase in water level. Even better is if you can drain off the water representing the increased water level and weigh it. Then you convert from grams to cubic centimeters, divide by 3, volume, +/- 1 CC if you do it right.

He measures the size of people's bladders this exact same way (or teaches his staff how to do it and they report the number). He is an expert on volume, among other thingd.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

A pair of HSU ULS-15 II is only about 1600.00 including delivery. That’s what I use to augment the CW IV bass. Won’t break the bank.

Shakey

that solves it ,  subs are needed with CW IV  speakers , no exception  :biggrin:

13 minutes ago, 001 said:

that solves it ,  subs are needed with CW IV  speakers  --  TX 

Not really. They are very satisfying w/o subs. And the subs only contribute when needed for really low bass.  I wouldn't pass on a CW IV if I couldn't have subs.

Shakey 

• Like 2