How do I get bass out of Klipsch Cornwall IV?

I keep lowering the crossover point on my subwoofer, to allow the clean, tight, bass response of the Khorns to prevail.  I started at 80 Hz -- the modal recommendation I read -- now I'm down to 40 Hz, turned up a few dB, which sounds fine.  There is a little more growl from some music recordings, but no nullification of the clean bass mentioned above.

The above is for music.  For movies, the totally separate LFE for sound effects (that is put on Blu-rays, but, after filtering, is mixed with the music bass going out through the subwoofer cable) remains, NOT at 120 Hz, as frequently suggested, but at 80 Hz, as recommended by both Roger Dressler and Mark Seaton.  Roger puts it this way: "But I find that LFE in the 100-120 Hz region is just a lot of boominess that unfortunately too often clouds the deeper bass in the bottom 2 octaves. Setting the LFE filter to 80 Hz does a dandy job of dealing with that boominess IMHO."  Sooo, my Khorns are allowed to roll off below 40 Hz because of the crossover to the sub at that frequency, and movie sound effects are mixed in, thanks to the LPF for LFE below 80 Hz, and go the subwoofer ONLY, where they are devoid of "a lot of boominess," but still shake the couch and the solid, well braced floor. 

I like this set up better than any previous one.

• Like 1

Just chiming in with my experience.  Running a PrimaLuna Dialogue HP integrated and Cornwall IVs arrived today to replace Forte III.

Left them running for 3 hours, now with an another 2 hours listening, and absolutely no concerns with bass.

I have a Rythmik F12G sub, but so far have left it off.  Am not wanting of bass with the CIVs on their own.

Room is 5.5m x 4.5m (sorry my non metric friends) with the speakers along the longer wall.  I have them a bit out from the walls and currently toed in to cross every so slightly in front of the MLP.  

@Chief bonehead You’ve done it again, man! 

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 7/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, Seinbeans said:

[Moderator edit to remove extranious, non-pertanent information, useful and relevant information has been left intact]

The Cornwall IV is bigger [. . .)bass sound [. . .] that means this Cornwall IV is [. . .] a good speaker

yes[?].

Yes indeed. You are very astute. 

• Haha 1

Last night I had quite the listening experience listening to Becks 2014 album "Morning phase" on my Klipsch Cornwall IVs. This album is so warm, lush and just cozy to listen to. Really amazing bass on this record which translates well to the Cornwall IVs. Anyone looking to evaluate the bass on their Cornwall IV should give it a listen. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Well, we have the first several pages of this thread devoted to troubleshooting, the last several pages devoted to how good the CW4 bass is, and an OP who was so dissatisfied with the bass that he returned the speakers. At any point along the way, did anybody figure out what was actually wrong?

• Like 1

Yes @Edgar  👍   I also didn't understand what was wrong  

I discovered "Morning Phase", indeed the bass is deep and punchy on my CWIII 😍

As always in HiFi you need good equipment, but also a good implementation of the system, at home:

1- an SS amplifier for the bass
2- a good preamp with a tone control centered on 30Hz: Mc C504
3- a vent from my CWIIIs sealed with felt to tune the Cornwall lower, perfectly suited to my listening room
4- Speakon Neutrik sockets on my SS amplifier with professional Cordial cables, inexpensive but in OFC copper, 13awg section to connect my amps and speakers: efficiency and reliability of the contact without snake oil.

note: other different implementations can work very well too, we agree.

Finally, on my side to test your bass from your Cornwall: I recommend EEls "daisies of the galaxy"

😉

• Like 1

Ummmm and here I thought I was the only person in the world that likes (i love it personally) Morning Phase.  Just a great, easy to listen to, album.  I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to sit back, relax, and enjoy pleasing sounds entering your earholes 

• Like 2

+100 on Beck's Morning Phase!  When I stream the 96/24 version of that album to my CWIV's the quality of the sound is otherworldly.  I think Morning Phase won a production Grammy so we're not the only ones who've noticed!

Beck's Sea Change is another phenomenal-sounding album.  And, of course, anything by TOOL, but Pneuma and Culling Voices off of Fear Inoculum are pretty great demo material for dynamics.  :)

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 7:56 AM, CoryGillmore said:

Last night I had quite the listening experience listening to Becks 2014 album "Morning phase" on my Klipsch Cornwall IVs. This album is so warm, lush and just cozy to listen to. Really amazing bass on this record which translates well to the Cornwall IVs. Anyone looking to evaluate the bass on their Cornwall IV should give it a listen. 

It’s being shipped to me. Thank you.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Schwa said:

+100 on Beck's Morning Phase!  When I stream the 96/24 version of that album to my CWIV's the quality of the sound is otherworldly.  I think Morning Phase won a production Grammy so we're not the only ones who've noticed!

Beck's Sea Change is another phenomenal-sounding album.  And, of course, anything by TOOL, but Pneuma and Culling Voices off of Fear Inoculum are pretty great demo material for dynamics.  :)

I'm basically obsessed with Tool. IMO, 10,000 Days and Fear Inoculum sound fantastic on my CWIV. A lot of parts on the Lateralus album sound kinda harsh to my ears, same with Aenima. 
Right In Two (from 10k Days) is currently one of my absolute favorite songs to blast on my CWIV. 

• Like 1

If you want to really test your subs, "Dare" by Gorillaz has a true ~20hz bass synth tone. Once you hear it, you'll know it's missing from everyone else's system. It has me dreaming of Infinite Baffles into the basement.

Lateralis and Ænema totally have the "mixed by the guitarist and vocalist" vibe going on. Production value on those is about halfway between "Blizzard of Ozz" and a good album.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DirtyErnie said:

Lateralis and Ænema totally have the "mixed by the guitarist and vocalist" vibe going on. Production value on those is about halfway between "Blizzard of Ozz" and a good album.

Absolutely! And in my experience the Cornwall IV does not like grainy effects. I tried listening to the new Chevelle album, an album I really like, and I found it completely unlistenable on my CWIV. Album is great on any of the headphones in my collection.