How do I get bass out of Klipsch Cornwall IV?

• 1 month later...

Something I did that truly helped with bass impact in my room was plugging a "Cornhole" on each speaker. I plugged the Cornhole on each speaker that's furthest from the wall. So the two Cornholes closest to the wall are open. 

I know this has been mentioned in this thread already but I just wanted an excuse to say Cornhole, since I literally just thought of it and find it hilarious 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good evening all

proud owner (for about 3 weeks now) of CW IV’s. Funny reading through this thread and just seeing the maturation of the understanding that most go through switching from an inefficient monitor (or even floorstanding) setup. I knew from reading that break in was absolutely necessary here.  I too have a dual purpose system so left the sub (SB16U) in the mix but have dialed it down to 40hz and lower DB for a great bottom fill. Movies are obviously cranked and setup differently. 

my amazement with these speakers is how engaging they are. I have had some decent sets along my journey but nothing has ever pulled me into the performance like these.  

paired with Parasound A21+ and P6 along with Auralic Vega G1 and AQ Niagara with all the wiring. 

incredibly revealing but not sterile. 

very happy. 

• Like 5

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Joecoulson said:

Good evening all

proud owner (for about 3 weeks now) of CW IV’s. Funny reading through this thread and just seeing the maturation of the understanding that most go through switching from an inefficient monitor (or even floorstanding) setup. I knew from reading that break in was absolutely necessary here.  I too have a dual purpose system so left the sub (SB16U) in the mix but have dialed it down to 40hz and lower DB for a great bottom fill. Movies are obviously cranked and setup differently. 

my amazement with these speakers is how engaging they are. I have had some decent sets along my journey but nothing has ever pulled me into the performance like these.  

paired with Parasound A21+ and P6 along with Auralic Vega G1 and AQ Niagara with all the wiring. 

incredibly revealing but not sterile. 

very happy. 

Welcome to the forum!

Great writeup.

We would love photos of your set up if you would like to do that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joecoulson said:

Thank You all. 
the Klipsch really changed the feel of my listening. They really are impressive for the $$

Yeah see my impression is for the kind of money we paid for these Cornwalls they had better be impressive, and they are haha. But I sure as hell wouldn't claim them to be some bargain in hifi lol. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CoryGillmore said:

Yeah see my impression is for the kind of money we paid for these Cornwalls they had better be impressive, and they are haha. But I sure as hell wouldn't claim them to be some bargain in hifi lol. 

Agreed. Not a bargain per se, but I’ll tell you. When I auditioned these, I also listened to a $10k pair or Monitor Audio towers that the store were gushing over saying they were the best for up to $20k+. They sounded really good, but they didn’t even move me. Track after track, I wasn’t feeling it. I came from Elac Adante’s which were great for me for a while. But became lifeless and sterile. 
As soon as they kicked on the CW’s, I was instantly moved.  It has been quite some time since speakers (at least affordable to me) gave me emotions like that. Playing Black Sabbath Paranoid, I just could not stop listening. It was three songs in and I started to ask what kind of deal I could get. Fork in-done. 
so yes, not a bargain, but spending <$6k on speakers that brought more to the table than $10k+ ones might actually be frugal?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Joecoulson said:

Agreed. Not a bargain per se, but I’ll tell you. When I auditioned these, I also listened to a $10k pair or Monitor Audio towers that the store were gushing over saying they were the best for up to $20k+. They sounded really good, but they didn’t even move me. Track after track, I wasn’t feeling it. I came from Elac Adante’s which were great for me for a while. But became lifeless and sterile. 
As soon as they kicked on the CW’s, I was instantly moved.  It has been quite some time since speakers (at least affordable to me) gave me emotions like that. Playing Black Sabbath Paranoid, I just could not stop listening. It was three songs in and I started to ask what kind of deal I could get. Fork in-done. 
so yes, not a bargain, but spending <$6k on speakers that brought more to the table than $10k+ ones might actually be frugal?

Ok yeah when you put it that way I see your point!

I bought mine sight unseen/unheard! I based it on reviews alone. I found them to be pretty shouty before I found the right placement and toe-in. I ended up stuffing them back as far in the corner as they would go and just barely toeing them in. I'm in love now and I still have upgraded electronics to look forward to!

Currently running a Schiit Modius DAC into an old Onkyo A/V receiver. Well not old old but from like 2016. I have my sights set on a Freya+ pre and Schiit Aegirs in monoblock. Possibly considering one of their multi-bit balanced DACs too. 

I'm just scared I'm gonna drop over 3k on electronics and it won't make much difference.....I'm not a huge believer in electronics but I do know that adding in the Modius into my current chain and bypassing the internal DAC of this A/V receiver was quite the upgrade in clarity and musicality. I'm hoping for a similar revelation with a preamp and class A monoblock amps. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoryGillmore said:

Ok yeah when you put it that way I see your point!

I bought mine sight unseen/unheard! I based it on reviews alone. I found them to be pretty shouty before I found the right placement and toe-in. I ended up stuffing them back as far in the corner as they would go and just barely toeing them in. I'm in love now and I still have upgraded electronics to look forward to!

Currently running a Schiit Modius DAC into an old Onkyo A/V receiver. Well not old old but from like 2016. I have my sights set on a Freya+ pre and Schiit Aegirs in monoblock. Possibly considering one of their multi-bit balanced DACs too. 

I'm just scared I'm gonna drop over 3k on electronics and it won't make much difference.....I'm not a huge believer in electronics but I do know that adding in the Modius into my current chain and bypassing the internal DAC of this A/V receiver was quite the upgrade in clarity and musicality. I'm hoping for a similar revelation with a preamp and class A monoblock amps. 

I went the exact opposite of you. Started with ok speakers and went for higher end electronics off the bat. 
had 4 Linn monoblocks paired with Polk Lsim 705’s. Then upgraded the power to an Audioquest Niagara 1000. That changed a lot for me, I spent more on power than my speakers, but the results were very dramatic and impressive. 
then went for preamp/amp/source upgrades and then finally an Audioquest Niagara 5000. 
now finally I top it all off with the Cornwall’s. Lol!

• Like 3