How do I get bass out of Klipsch Cornwall IV?

3 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

Ok yeah when you put it that way I see your point!

I bought mine sight unseen/unheard! I based it on reviews alone. I found them to be pretty shouty before I found the right placement and toe-in. I ended up stuffing them back as far in the corner as they would go and just barely toeing them in. I'm in love now and I still have upgraded electronics to look forward to!

Currently running a Schiit Modius DAC into an old Onkyo A/V receiver. Well not old old but from like 2016. I have my sights set on a Freya+ pre and Schiit Aegirs in monoblock. Possibly considering one of their multi-bit balanced DACs too. 

I'm just scared I'm gonna drop over 3k on electronics and it won't make much difference.....I'm not a huge believer in electronics but I do know that adding in the Modius into my current chain and bypassing the internal DAC of this A/V receiver was quite the upgrade in clarity and musicality. I'm hoping for a similar revelation with a preamp and class A monoblock amps. 

I don’t think you’ll regret switching out the AVR.  I run a “dual” setup as such, with a PrimaLuna integrated for music listening and a Yamaha Aventage A810 for general TV/film/background music.

The PrimaLuna absolutely kills the Yamaha for music - airy, holographic, gorgeous mids and staging.  The AVR ain’t bad, but it’s apples and oranges and worth the hassle of running the two amps and the cable swaps when I want to settle down for a listen with a drop of Aussie red.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

Ok yeah when you put it that way I see your point!

I bought mine sight unseen/unheard! I based it on reviews alone. I found them to be pretty shouty before I found the right placement and toe-in. I ended up stuffing them back as far in the corner as they would go and just barely toeing them in. I'm in love now and I still have upgraded electronics to look forward to!

Currently running a Schiit Modius DAC into an old Onkyo A/V receiver. Well not old old but from like 2016. I have my sights set on a Freya+ pre and Schiit Aegirs in monoblock. Possibly considering one of their multi-bit balanced DACs too. 

I'm just scared I'm gonna drop over 3k on electronics and it won't make much difference.....I'm not a huge believer in electronics but I do know that adding in the Modius into my current chain and bypassing the internal DAC of this A/V receiver was quite the upgrade in clarity and musicality. I'm hoping for a similar revelation with a preamp and class A monoblock amps. 

Forgot to add, I’ve gone the complete opposite on placement.  I have the Cornwall a decent way out from the rear and side walls and toe in so they’re crossing a foot or so in front of my head.spacer.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

Yeah see my impression is for the kind of money we paid for these Cornwalls they had better be impressive, and they are haha. But I sure as hell wouldn't claim them to be some bargain in hifi lol. 

I’ve paid far more for speakers and gotten less performance. I’d say they are a bargain.

Shakey

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aperfectcircle said:

I don’t think you’ll regret switching out the AVR.  I run a “dual” setup as such, with a PrimaLuna integrated for music listening and a Yamaha Aventage A810 for general TV/film/background music.

The PrimaLuna absolutely kills the Yamaha for music - airy, holographic, gorgeous mids and staging.  The AVR ain’t bad, but it’s apples and oranges and worth the hassle of running the two amps and the cable swaps when I want to settle down for a listen with a drop of Aussie red.

Speaking of running two sources....would it be ok to have the CWIVs plugged into two sources/amps at the same time and using the jumpers? So long as I didn't try to feed it two signals at the same time? Like make sure only one source/amp is powered on at one time? Or is the risk just too great? Like what would happen if one day I did accidently feed it two different sources simultaneously? Instant speaker death? 

Ah the struggles of a dual purpose (music/home theater) system....

5 hours ago, aperfectcircle said:

Forgot to add, I’ve gone the complete opposite on placement.  I have the Cornwall a decent way out from the rear and side walls and toe in so they’re crossing a foot or so in front of my head.spacer.png

Man I played around for weeks in my room. I did at one point have them setup just like you, I'm sure there's a picture or two here in this very thread. But for me and my small-ish room with 7ft ceilings, close to the wall and barely toed in was the way. 

6 hours ago, aperfectcircle said:

Your placement is very similar to mine.

IMG_0889.JPG

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, CoryGillmore said:

Speaking of running two sources....would it be ok to have the CWIVs plugged into two sources/amps at the same time and using the jumpers?

I wanted to take no chances so I used a Niles SPK1 switch to swap between my ss and tube amp on my Klipsch

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoryGillmore said:

Speaking of running two sources....would it be ok to have the CWIVs plugged into two sources/amps at the same time and using the jumpers? So long as I didn't try to feed it two signals at the same time? Like make sure only one source/amp is powered on at one time? Or is the risk just too great? Like what would happen if one day I did accidently feed it two different sources simultaneously? Instant speaker death? 

More likely instant amplifier death. Each amp sees the other as (very nearly) a short circuit. 

• Like 1

I have a Parasound P6 and which is a fantastic piece as it gives me HT bypass.  
when 2ch is going, it’s just source/pre/amp

When HT is active, the Marantz controls the pre for direct feed to the amp. 
great for dual purpose setups. 
Also gives me a fantastic crossover and bass management.  
very happy with the Parasound gear.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, USNRET said:

I wanted to take no chances so I used a Niles SPK1 switch to swap between my ss and tube amp on my Klipsch

I suppose this would be my most practical solution as well. Thank you sir. 

3 hours ago, Edgar said:

More likely instant amplifier death. Each amp sees the other as (very nearly) a short circuit. 

Ah I see. Would it be a problem if I never made the mistake of actually trying to feed a signal from both amps simultaneously? I think I'll go with the switch device above, but just for curiosity....

2 hours ago, Joecoulson said:

I have a Parasound P6 and which is a fantastic piece as it gives me HT bypass.  
when 2ch is going, it’s just source/pre/amp

When HT is active, the Marantz controls the pre for direct feed to the amp. 
great for dual purpose setups. 
Also gives me a fantastic crossover and bass management.  
very happy with the Parasound gear.  

Hell yeah sounds nice and streamlined. Is that an integrated amp? 

EDIT: Nevermind I see it's a preamp. Looks very damn useful too, those sub pre-outs alone have me considering it haha. 

• Like 1

Ah I see. Would it be a problem if I never made the mistake of actually trying to feed a signal from both amps simultaneously?

Still a problem, even if one of the amps isn't powered. One amp will be trying to feed the output stage of the other amp, which may look like a variety of unhealthy loads, depending upon the circuit topology. 

In short: don't do it.

• Like 1

I suppose this would be my most practical solution as well. Thank you sir. 

Ah I see. Would it be a problem if I never made the mistake of actually trying to feed a signal from both amps simultaneously? I think I'll go with the switch device above, but just for curiosity....

Hell yeah sounds nice and streamlined. Is that an integrated amp? 

EDIT: Nevermind I see it's a preamp. Looks very damn useful too, those sub pre-outs alone have me considering it haha. 

I went through NAD separates,  Linn monoblocks, PSAudio Stellar pre/mono’s and settled on the Parasound 

by far the best sounding and has so much headroom.  
but the P6 is a jewel for someone who wants dual purpose. It has everything you need to dial in both setups. 
Also their gear is super quiet. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Still a problem, even if one of the amps isn't powered. One amp will be trying to feed the output stage of the other amp, which may look like a variety of unhealthy loads, depending upon the circuit topology. 

In short: don't do it.

What he said---never tie two outputs together.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joecoulson said:

I went through NAD separates,  Linn monoblocks, PSAudio Stellar pre/mono’s and settled on the Parasound 

by far the best sounding and has so much headroom.  
but the P6 is a jewel for someone who wants dual purpose. It has everything you need to dial in both setups. 
Also their gear is super quiet. 

One thing I notice it doesn't have is an HDMI input/output. Can the P6 still passthrough Atmos, DTSX and all that jazz without HDMI passthrough?

9 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

One thing I notice it doesn't have is an HDMI input/output. Can the P6 still passthrough Atmos, DTSX and all that jazz without HDMI passthrough?

The only thing it’s passing though is the pre signal for L & R signals. Just as if the AVR was driving them directly.  
meaning, when HT bypass is active, the whole Atmos/DD etc sound goes through the Pre and the Marantz controls the amp directly.  
MSI it’s as if you don’t even have a 2ch system in the middle. 
make sense?

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 6:42 AM, Joecoulson said:

The only thing it’s passing though is the pre signal for L & R signals. Just as if the AVR was driving them directly.  
meaning, when HT bypass is active, the whole Atmos/DD etc sound goes through the Pre and the Marantz controls the amp directly.  
MSI it’s as if you don’t even have a 2ch system in the middle. 
make sense?

Kinda lol I’m still confused as to how this would be wired up though…would it even be possible with my current A/V receiver which does not have pre-outs? 

I’m looking at a Freya+ for a preamp to feed two Aegirs in dual mono. The Freya+ does have HT bypass according to their literature. 

But that aside, I was under the impression that in order for an A/V receiver to process all the Atmos stuff it had to be fed a digital signal. 

If your AVR does not have pre outs, this is NOT possible. Everything (Atmos, DD etc) is processing inside of the AVR and then send (via pre out) to the external amp (through a preamps HT bypass- which just lets the signal pass right through as if it was not even there)

What model AVR do you have?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joecoulson said:

If your AVR does not have pre outs, this is NOT possible. Everything (Atmos, DD etc) is processing inside of the AVR and then send (via pre out) to the external amp (through a preamps HT bypass- which just lets the signal pass right through as if it was not even there)

What model AVR do you have?

I have an Onkyo TXNR757. So all this depends on being able to utilize pre-outs in my AVR for the left and right mains? 

I mean I do intend to upgrade my AVR in the near future but not before I get all the Schiit gear. Until then I guess I’ll have to reach behind my speakers and plug in wires from the AVR when I want to watch a movie.