Schiit Vidars No Longer For Sale.

SWL

So wait...when you were using the Aegirs in monoblock mode were you using a balanced source running an XLR into each Aegir? Because that's the only way to get 80wpc out of the Aegirs. Matter of fact tghat's the only way Schiit recommends running them in mono mode.
No, I was using an RCA-XLR converter. Unbalanced preamp (RCA) to the balanced (XLR) input on the Vidars.

I never tried it with two Aegir's....only have one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I'll buy your Vidar amp if you decide to to, I'll use in in stereo mode with my H4's
That Vidar has been sitting a while so I took it down in my basement system to give it a workout and make sure everything was cool with it before selling it.

I ran that sucker hard for about 45 minutes straight with some heavy stuff while I was working out. It got 'Aegir Hot' after about 30 minutes of cranking it. Never went into protection mode. Man that thing played so smooth and effortless......

I can't let it go. Sorry for jerking you guys around. I think I'm gonna get a proper balanced pre and check them out as mono-blocks. I've got a bunch of 6SN7's here so maybe I'll get the Freya. I dunno....

Anyway, I'll say this......the Vidar and the Aegir mate very good with Klipsch. Sure there's better out there but at the price point Schiit is selling them at they're certainly worth considering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SWL said:

No, I was using an RCA-XLR converter. Unbalanced preamp (RCA) to the balanced (XLR) input on the Vidars.

I never tried it with two Aegir's....only have one.

Ok I'm glad that's cleared up. This is why you had a bad experience with one Aegir. The Aegir is not to be used with the XLR input unless you're running them in mono mode. So you never even heard your Aegir in stereo mode since you were using the XLR input. The XLR input is a mono only input. It's a wonder you didn't fry it or something....

Ok I'm glad that's cleared up. This is why you had a bad experience with one Aegir. The Aegir is not to be used with the XLR input unless you're running them in mono mode. So you never even heard your Aegir in stereo mode since you were using the XLR input. The XLR input is a mono only input. It's a wonder you didn't fry it or something....
I don't know where you're getting this from....

I have one Aegir. I have only run it in stereo. Unbalanced.

I have two Vidars. I ran them as mono-blocks with an unbalanced preamp using an RCA-XLR converter. That didn't work out because something was wrong with the converter. They work great though individually as unbalanced stereo amps.

I'm considering to run the Vidars as mono-blocks now with a proper balanced preamp. We'll see.

• Like 1

• SWL changed the title to Schiit Vidars No Longer For Sale.

Ohhhh ok I think you're right. So you didn't try to run the Aegir in stereo mode using the XLR converter/XLR input on the Aegir? 

I'm not too sure about the loudspeaker world but in the headphone world you cannot convert a SE cable to a balanced cable with an adapter since the original SE cable lacks the grounds required for a balanced cable and an adapter won't change that, matter of fact I think you can damage equipment trying this. You can, however, adapt an XLR cable into an RCA cable with an adapter, but not the other way around

A cool thing about the Freya+ is that it can convert an unbalanced source into a balanced source. So you could use an unbalanced DAC (RCA into preamp) and output it as a balanced signal through the XLR output on the Freya+. I think the Freya+ is pretty special in this regard, meaning it's one of the few preamps that can achieve this. 

I wanted to try a Dac that had balanced outputs and purchased  one off of Ebay.  The SMSL SU-8 v2. This was my first DAC purchase.  I like it. There are newer and better models now from SMSL.   Here is a little review from Zeos. 

• Like 2

I wanted to try a Dac that had balanced outputs and purchased  one off of Ebay.  The SMSL SU-8 v2. This was my first DAC purchase.  I like it. There are newer and better models now from SMSL.   Here is a little review from Zeos. 

That looks like the same exact remote I have with my E30 DAC. Hmmm....

I have several of those Topping DACs but prefer my Modius. I even prefer my Modi 3 over the Topping DACs but still like them. Great performance for the price.....like Schiit.

• Like 1

The Modius is a very good sounding DAC. I've been using one for a little over a year with a Musical Paradise tube amp. I just got a Sabaj balanced class d chip amp  this week and hooked it up to the Modius and I like what I hear so far. That said, I just ordered the Topping E50 just for grins and giggles. While I still love tubes with my old Klipsch stuff I got to admit the new chip amps sound very nice. I don't know, I'm starting to roll amps and dacs like they were tubes. Stuff from china is so cheap now I don't feel guilty doing it and it's fun to hear different combos.

• Like 3