Schiit Vidars No Longer For Sale.

SWL

I have two Vidars I'm considering selling. I bought them brand new from Schiit back in December. They have low hours and are like new and sound/perform great.

For my needs, I'm hanging onto the Aegir.

To save you a few bucks I'll sell them for $500 bucks each.

Both are black. If interested, I'll post some pics later.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I've decided to hang on to these. Changing preamps makes a big difference. I might be persuaded to let one of them go.

As far as the transferable warranty, I'm not sure. I'll look into it but I think I remember reading that it's not.

• 2 weeks later...
What pre-amp did you decide to go with? I'm strongly considering a Freya+ and Aegir monoblock setup for my CWIVs. 
It turns out the Saga + with a Mullard 6SN7 works better with my Aegir but with my Vidars I prefer either my Marantz 3600 or a tube preamp which is a Chinese knock off of a Conrad Johnson design using four 5751's.

The tube pre with the Vidar is my preference.

What pre-amp did you decide to go with? I'm strongly considering a Freya+ and Aegir monoblock setup for my CWIVs. 
It turns out the Saga + with a Mullard 6SN7 works better with my Aegir but with my Vidars I prefer either my Marantz 3600 or a tube preamp which is a Chinese knock off of a Conrad Johnson design using four 5751's.

The tube pre with the Vidar is my preference.

11 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

I had this combo,  they get so hot with the forte iii's, u can fry an egg on them. not too loud either. i ended up returning the Aegir's, and using a Dennis Had SET amp. much better imo. 

• Sad 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:10 AM, pallpoul said:

I had this combo,  they get so hot with the forte iii's, u can fry an egg on them. not too loud either. i ended up returning the Aegir's, and using a Dennis Had SET amp. much better imo. 

Damn are you serious?? You had them in monoblock? I've been strongly considering a Freya+ Aegir monoblock setup for my Cornwall IVs....pretty much had my mind made up....

EDIT: Jesus I didn't realize you were already responding to my comment about "strongly considering a Freya+ Aegir setup" LMAO. It's a good thing I quit smoking weed cause I'm already an idiot 🤣

• Haha 1

Yes , I did return the Aegirs. I kept the Freya+, and use it with different amps. Like I mentioned, they do get really hot, not too loud unless you turn the knob on the Freya+ all the way up. I felt a decent SET amp did a much better job. IMHO sounded better then the Aegirs did. 

Get the Freya+, and experiment with different amps, my opinion. 

FYI The Freya + and Saga + pres are HYBRID designs which may be why some express they prefer a tube pre with the SS amps. Not bashing either its all about individual preferences. I personally found Hybrids To include both the Schiit pre's mentioned and others,  to tend a bit on the lean side, more sterile than a full on tube pre

• Like 1

I am curious to know if you have tried the Vidars in mono set up? do they really provide 400 wpc, and do they sound good in mono's mode?

I thought the Vidar sounded better in stereo mode.

FYI The Freya + and Saga + pres are HYBRID designs which may be why some express they prefer a tube pre with the SS amps. Not bashing either its all about individual preferences. I personally found Hybrids To include both the Schiit pre's mentioned and others,  to tend a bit on the lean side, more sterile than a full on tube pre
I agree with the Vidar. Not the case with the Aegir in my experience.

My preference is the Vidar paired with a tube pre. The Aegir can go either way.

46 minutes ago, SWL said:

I thought the Vidar sounded better in stereo mode.

on your previous post:

"

That's cool. I noticed an improvement going with Vidar mono-blocks vs just one in stereo.

Not sure if it's the added power or if it's the fact that the channels are now seperated in separate chassis but it was definitely worth getting the second Vidar IMO."

So which is it: mono or stereo?

My preference is stereo but at the time I wasn't using a balanced preamp. I was using an XLR-RCA converter and something strange was affecting the sound quality affecting my evaluation. One minute it sounded great, next minute it just sounded 'off'.

So I concluded that in my situation stereo sounded better. I do remember reading that the guys from Schiit eluded to the fact that stereo should give better sound quality vs mono-blocks. I'm sticking with stereo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SWL said:

My preference is stereo but at the time I wasn't using a balanced preamp. I was using an XLR-RCA converter and something strange was affecting the sound quality affecting my evaluation. One minute it sounded great, next minute it just sounded 'off'.

So I concluded that in my situation stereo sounded better. I do remember reading that the guys from Schiit eluded to the fact that stereo should give better sound quality vs mono-blocks. I'm sticking with stereo.

So wait...when you were using the Aegirs in monoblock mode were you using a balanced source running an XLR into each Aegir? Because that's the only way to get 80wpc out of the Aegirs. Matter of fact tghat's the only way Schiit recommends running them in mono mode.

• SWL changed the title to Schiit Vidars No Longer For Sale.