Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Fido

Reaching total system satisfaction - bittersweet like much in life!

Recommended Posts

As I lie on my comfy couch listening to music I have listened to for many years and spending much time and research and experimentation with different speakers, amps, cables, turntables, CD players, streamers etc etc I get that familiar feeling I have had many times before. Once the chase is over it is often times a tad bittersweet. I am pretty sure that many here are happy with the way their systems have come together and are just listening and enjoying the music like I am. A great place to be but kind of sad whenever the search and pursuit is over for better amps, dacs, cables and speakers are behind us. Almost hard for me to admit I am satisfied just listening to the music I love from the comfort of my couch with the various parts I hobbled together. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Fido said:

As I lie on my comfy couch listening to music I have listened to for many years and spending much time and research and experimentation with different speakers, amps, cables, turntables, CD players, streamers etc etc I get that familiar feeling I have had many times before. Once the chase is over it is often times a tad bittersweet. I am pretty sure that many here are happy with the way their systems have come together and are just listening and enjoying the music like I am. A great place to be but kind of sad whenever the search and pursuit is over for better amps, dacs, cables and speakers are behind us. Almost hard for me to admit I am satisfied just listening to the music I love from the comfort of my couch with the various parts I hobbled together. 

Basically, all you need is more and better music. We all have limited amount of time to enjoy it, even when retired, aye?

 

Or, just get a bigger house, with bigger rooms, so you can have all Big Horns in it. Then you will want for nothing more. LOL.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Fido said:

Almost hard for me to admit I am satisfied just listening to the music I love from the comfort of my couch with the various parts I hobbled together. 


Your human so give it some time and the desire to change things will return.... 😄

 

miketn

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:


Your human so give it some time and the desire to change things will return.... 😄

 

miketn

I am well aware that everything in life is temporary. LOL 

 

@Claude J1 would have me selling my cozy Adobe and loading my new gazillion $$$$ mansion up with some 10 foot wide and 2 ton horn loaded monsters. Lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fido said:

I am well aware that everything in life is temporary. LOL 

 

@Claude J1 would have me selling my cozy Adobe and loading my new gazillion $$$$ mansion up with some 10 foot wide and 2 ton horn loaded monsters. Lmao

Ask DaveA as to how much enjoy designing and/or listening to Big Horns!  Like all other people have to build and pay for them when they follow the plans!

 

But Dave does smile every day he listens to those. I'm just trying to do my part for the Sonic World, while, effectively, spending other people's money and build time in the process! Hah!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Ask DaveA as to how much enjoy designing and/or listening to Big Horns!  Like all other people have to build and pay for them when they follow the plans!

 

But Dave does smile every day he listens to those. I'm just trying to do my part for the Sonic World, while, effectively, spending other people's money and build time in the process! Hah!

You and Dave the kings of the big horns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An object in possession seldom retains the lustre of an object in pursuit.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He who knows contentment is rich. Lao Tzu

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My primary system, mostly due to right place right time, hasn't changed for 40 years

Mc and LaScalas

Never felt motivated to make a change

 

That said I have lots of gear as toys to play with .......

 

Mostly collecting and enjoying music these days

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, geoff. said:

He who knows contentment is rich. Lao Tzu

Truth to truth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a hard uphill climb to the peak for me... always striving for that missing something I knew had be in the system. I had a vision (audible vision) that I strove for, and I finally found a Nirvana that i feel 100% comfortable with.

 

at times, it took more money than I was initially willing to invest, but in the end it has been completely worth it. What's interesting to me is how all these little incremental improvements can be made by making what are seemingly sideways equipment purchases... but in my case, they do add up.

 

I began listening to equipment (which I personally like to do), but now all I do is listen to music.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Schu said:

It's been a hard uphill climb to the peak for me... always striving for that missing something I knew had be in the system. I had a vision (audible vision) that I strove for, and I finally found a Nirvana that i feel 100% comfortable with.

 

at times, it took more money than I was initially willing to invest, but in the end it has been completely worth it. What's interesting to me is how all these little incremental improvements can be made by making what are seemingly sideways equipment purchases... but in my case, they do add up.

 

I began listening to equipment (which I personally like to do), but now all I do is listen to music.

Congrats on reaching your Nirvana, kudos

i, too, can admit I like listening to equipment but the music is what truly moves me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fido said:

kind of sad whenever the search and pursuit is over for better amps, dacs, cables and speakers are behind us.

 

No need to feel sad... This simply means the end of GAS  (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

I had the same when I bought my Canon Eos 1v: the top of the line Canon analog photo camera. Up to then I was restlessly buying/seeking out analog cameras. Buying the 1v ended my GAS.

As for music amplifiers, I had something similar happening after buying two amplifiers: my tube amp LEBEN CS300 and my solid state Harman Kardon 430 really are perfect matches to my 1972 Heresy speakers and my RP160M set. Acquiring these amps meant, again, the end of GAS here.

From time to time, I hook up some other amps I have laying around, just to make sure, but no... nothing else (for me) beats those two combinations in their specific rooms, so I'm a happy man now.

I now have entered the realm of blissful enjoyment of listening to music I know, and discovering new music.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Fido said:

Congrats on reaching your Nirvana, kudos

i, too, can admit I like listening to equipment but the music is what truly moves me

I want to add... never did my system sound bad or did it have poor performance, I was just looking for that 'special' spatial sensation with great instrument separation. A system that disappears and that creates a great dimensional sensation is very rewarding.

 

I got really tired of being punched in the face by the 'wall of sound' sensation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bubo said:

My primary system, mostly due to right place right time, hasn't changed for 40 years

Mc and LaScalas

Never felt motivated to make a change

 

That said I have lots of gear as toys to play with .......

 

Mostly collecting and enjoying music these days

You mean like adding a much NEEDED subwoofer? That kind of change you needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Schu said:

I want to add... never did my system sound bad or did it have poor performance, I was just looking for that 'special' spatial sensation with great instrument separation. A system that disappears and that creates a great dimensional sensation is very rewarding.

 

I got really tired of being punched in the face by the 'wall of sound' sensation.

I get that wall of sound WITH the exact amount of depth placed there by the recording engineer when it was mastered on nearfield monitors. Using Open Baffle speakers (like my Carver Platinums), gave me a very PLEASANT 3D sound (exaggeration) which was also nice, but took up too much floor space in a small room (they must be placed away from all walls to work that way). So I went back to all horns as the best compromise, which is all the audio is. A compromised ILLUSION.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bubo said:

My primary system, mostly due to right place right time, hasn't changed for 40 years

Mc and LaScalas

Never felt motivated to make a change

 

That said I have lots of gear as toys to play with .......

 

Mostly collecting and enjoying music these days

Whoa,  40 years with the same gear.  That's impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Whoa,  40 years with the same gear.  That is impressive. 

I had 30 years with Khorns and a Center LaScala (oiled Birch finish), but then I heard MWMs with a K-402, and it was all over, espcially when I discovered Surround Sound, so I had to buy more, smaller Klipsch!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You mean like adding a much NEEDED subwoofer? That kind of change you needed.

 

For the stuff I listen to, the sub doesn't make much difference in my happiness level

For some of the angelic club stuff, yes the sub fills it out nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The majority of people I know are not into high end audio and don’t know the difference between an AVR, a vintage receiver, a ss integrated amp or a set of valve mono blocks from Mcintosh, AR or Decware. None of my friends have high end turntables like a VPI or a $3000 moving coil cartridges on super high end carbon fiber 12” tone arms. For most of us on this Forum all of these things are critical as if they are all life and death decisions.
 

I am currently happy with my system and hope to stay that way but life is dynamic like the grooves in a vinyl record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...