Reaching total system satisfaction - bittersweet like much in life!

Fido

For myself, this is part hobby, the search for cool and or good gear at a good price, I find fun.  But it's also in part, a project. Being that, there is also a strong wish to get it done. On the couch, remote in hand, music and home theater at any and all volumes and sounding quite good too.

I almost bought a pair of Epic CF3's a couple of weeks back to use one as a center for 3 across the front for added bombastic fun.  But in the end, I was too lazy  to go through the bother of getting them.  It was a close thing though. 😀  

9 hours ago, KT88 said:

This is an interesting topic turn that is also relevant in my view. While I mostly listen to jazz and classical, the Stones remain part of my test recordings to see if I find a system good enough. 
I become very skeptical when a system with Oskar Peterson "Nicght Train" or similar is presented, be it a show or private. This is a kind of music that sounds good on any system. But woe is me when it rocks and rolls and clangs and clangs. Then a system has to prove that it is really good. If you have an expensive high end and your favorite rock band only sounds good on the BBQ sound cube, you have done something wrong on your journey to the high end heaven of "total system satisfaction"…in my view.

For me, of all the rock, rock jazz and blues bands, it's always the original mixes  (that's another worthwhile topic - the remixes, which in my view are often mighty messed up, they very often steal the soul and organic balance from the music as it was intended. E.g. a Steely Dan remix album. Horrible, antiseptic and almost dead.. ). If you like it as a in my view good example of sound...I recently found the Tidal MQA version of the original mix of Little Feat's "Time loves a hero" album. "Red Streamliner" is my favorite song. The recording is just as old as my Lascalas.

I never said I hated all Rolling Stones music, only the live stuff, since they are so frikkin' SLOPPY players live on the Blue Ray I own. Besides, Mick Taylor was their best lead guitarist, but he probably left to go back to blues after he made enough money, who knows? Even their old stuff with Brian Jones sounds better than anything live. Most of their Studio Recorded music is very good however. 

Assuming that any CD that says "remaster" on it is crap, it's a pretty good "buyer beware" sign, as I have been bitten many times before and seek only CD's that were made in the 80's before the dreaded LOUDNESS WARS for pop music. Most any Jazz or Telarc Digital Classical recording is well made, however, of any year.

On 6/6/2021 at 8:00 AM, geoff. said:

An object in pursuit seldom retains the lustre of an object in possession.

Are you sure you haven’t got that backwards?

This looks more logical to me:

An object in possession seldom retains the lustre of an object in pursuit.

See what I mean?

As for the Stones, I saw them in Toronto in 1998 or so, during their Bridges to Babylon tour, and they sounded great to me.  I wasn’t sitting close enough to see if they looked sloppy up close, but I really enjoyed the show.  If they came to my town, I’d be sure to see them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I never said I hated all Rolling Stones music, only the live stuff, since they are so frikkin' SLOPPY players live on the Blue Ray I own. Besides, Mick Taylor was their best lead guitarist, but he probably left to go back to blues after he made enough money, who knows? Even their old stuff with Brian Jones sounds better than anything live. Most of their Studio Recorded music is very good however. 

Assuming that any CD that says "remaster" on it is crap, it's a pretty good "buyer beware" sign, as I have been bitten many times before and seek only CD's that were made in the 80's before the dreaded LOUDNESS WARS for pop music. Most any Jazz or Telarc Digital Classical recording is well made, however, of any year.

I love that on this Forum it only took several days for my OP about system satisfaction to turn into a discussion about "I can't get no Satisfaction"\\\

And I try and I try and I try - I can't get no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Fido said:

I love that on this Forum it only took several days for my OP about system satisfaction to turn into a discussion about "I can't get no Satisfaction"\\\

You have above average observational skills, Kimosabe!

49 minutes ago, Fido said:

You can't always get

What you want

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2021 at 10:01 AM, Fido said:

Once the chase is over it is often times a tad bittersweet

Funny this was brought up because a picked up one of the last pieces of my audio puzzle today in Savannah, GA. and I’m feeling the same way. 
Now that I’m happy with the system it is time to sell off some of the pieces that got me to this point. Klipsch KP 301ii  klipsch kp115X 
klipsch KPT 456. I will list them in the Klipsch garage for sale section after I get some pictures, point being that audio satisfaction is a lot of happy with a side of sad. 😉

On 6/6/2021 at 9:21 AM, mikebse2a3 said:

Your human so give it some time and the desire to change things will return.... 😄

miketn

+1 to this.

I believe in changing things out every once in a while.....Not buying something different.....but taking things off the not in use shelf (area) and swapping them out... whether speakers.....amp /preamp...CD player.....The only thing I don't change out is my turntable...

Just my thoughts,

George

10 hours ago, Islander said:

Are you sure you haven’t got that backwards?

This looks more logical to me:

An object in possession seldom retains the lustre of an object in pursuit.

See what I mean?

As for the Stones, I saw them in Toronto in 1998 or so, during their Bridges to Babylon tour, and they sounded great to me.  I wasn’t sitting close enough to see if they looked sloppy up close, but I really enjoyed the show.  If they came to my town, I’d be sure to see them.

Yup, I got that backwards, lol

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, Jim Gregory said:

Funny this was brought up because a picked up one of the last pieces of my audio puzzle today in Savannah, GA. and I’m feeling the same way. 
Now that I’m happy with the system it is time to sell off some of the pieces that got me to this point. Klipsch KP 301ii  klipsch kp115X 
klipsch KPT 456. I will list them in the Klipsch garage for sale section after I get some pictures, point being that audio satisfaction is a lot of happy with a side of sad. 😉

Interested in 301s...where are you?

On 6/6/2021 at 9:01 AM, Fido said:

Almost hard for me to admit I am satisfied just listening to the music I love from the comfort of my couch with the various parts I hobbled together. 

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. - Ingrid Bergman

Siegfried Linkwitz (the crossover guy) was seriously into home audio. In his case it was about dipoles, but I remember reading something he wrote after he designed (and made available) his magnum opus loudspeaker system - that he'd achieved what he wanted and wasn't going to pursue other stuff. He was happy. It was kind of sad, but more than that it was beautiful. : )

Well done Fido. : )

Edited by Langston